With the recent injury to Kyler will other NFL teams hesitate to pay their QBS long term contracts?

BuffaloBills1998

2 hours ago, Governor said:

They were never going to pay him. I expect them to clean house after this season. Problem is that it requires the OC to be fired also, but that will be the move very soon.

Is there an article mentioning this about the Ravens?  From what I’ve read the main point of disagreement on Lamar ‘s contract is having the  only fully guaranteed like a Dashawn Watson deal with Cleveland ?   Also, why would the Ravens clean house on a coaching regime that has over 40 wins in the last 4 seasons with the current season not even done? The only thing I can think of is Roman leaving to take a college job like at Stanford.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I think that Lamar has proven himself more than just  a "pretty good QB", and I think that the only issue that Baltimore has with paying him is the guaranteed money.  I think that in the aftermath of the Deshaun Watson deal, Lamar wants it fully guaranteed for x number of years, and Baltimore isn't willing to go that far.  I'm not sure if they will compromise over the off season.

I think there might be a rub with Roman and his offense too. I don’t think Lamar likes playing in it and I don’t think the Ravens are 100% confident that Jackson will do as well in something more like the majority of NFL teams run. I think the Ravens would be best served to have Jackson play under the tag and under a new OC next season if I am correct. I don’t see Roman staying In Baltimore much longer anyway and the team should get a good read on how Lamar does under the new OC before paying him. 

• Like (+1) 1

The answer is no. But to go along with what I believe was the OPs premise…I could see the game evolve back away from running QBs if we see tons of injuries over the next few years. We haven’t seen that yet. Murray’s knee was a non-contact one and Mike White was doubled over while standing in the pocket. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

3 hours ago, Governor said:

They were never going to pay him. I expect them to clean house after this season. Problem is that it requires the OC to be fired also, but that will be the move very soon.

They should pay him. I don't think he will get Mahomes/Allen money, but it should be in the ballpark to that. Lamar has proven himself to be a very good QB. His W/L record with the Ravens is very good. 

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Shown nothing?  Leading the league in TD passes with 6 Ints isn’t “nothing”.

he’s not a great passer, but he’s a pretty good QB-  only the haters/delusional would disagree. 

Has never passed for more than 2,000 yards since his second year in the NFL. He’s not a QB he’s a running back trying to play QB. It’s not hating when speaking facts. You take him out of the offense he’s in and put him in a pass heavy offense and you will watch him fail

14 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Pretty good QB?? I strongly disagree with that. Now a great runner of the football is something I can agree with. But he’s shown nothing as a passer of the football. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Has never passed for more than 2,000 yards since his second year in the NFL. He’s not a QB he’s a running back trying to play QB. It’s not hating when speaking facts. You take him out of the offense he’s in and put him in a pass heavy offense and you will watch him fail

You said he’s shown nothing as a passer-  

My rebuttal:  he led the league in TDs passes.  Name another Terrible passer that has led the NFL in TD passes.  He has most definitely “shown something as a passer”.  But make stuff up to suit your agenda.  

put him in a heavy passing offense and he’ll fail.  Of course he’d fail.  He’s not a “great passer”.  No one is saying he’s great. 

It’s 2023 -  it’s not 1978-  QBs run now.  He just so happens to be the best running qb ever.  Putting him in a pass heavy offense would be stupid because it would limit his abilities.  

last point-  You’re arguing the fact that someone called him a “pretty good qb”-  you’re arguing that…..”pretty good qb”.  He’s  45-16 as a starter……but he’s not pretty good?   More crack.  You need it

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, 947 said:

It may help make Baltimore's decision easier. But somebody is still going to pay Lamar Jackson. Even if Baltimore trades him for 2 firsts & change, whoever gets him is going to give him a Watson-esque contract. That's the problem with these QB contracts, the smart teams won't pay it, but there's enough dumb teams who will pay whatever it takes.

Sounds like a problem for the dumb teams.  I agree some team will pay out the wazoo for him.  Trade him! His backup is just as good as he is.

AZ should have told Murray to pound salt, play on your current deal or don’t, we aren’t giving you more.  This is their punishment for being fools.

Baltimore has a real interesting decision ahead of them.  I personally would try to tag and trade Lamar, he’s a top performer, but he doesn’t seem to have the ability to raise the level of the team in a manner that justifies taking the huge risk with him.  The team needs an over haul anyway, I’d start with a boat load of picks and cap space.  If there was a crazy drop off when Lamar isn’t playing, I’d be far more inclined to pay him, but that’s just not the case.  I know it COULD be coaching, but I also know I haven’t seen a single QB look better after Roman left.  I’d side with caution and let him go, I feel like he is pretty close to his ceiling right now.  On a better team that’s good enough to win quite a bit, but will it be enough to land a title? Ehh…  The biggest problem is going to be the media backlash for not wanting to pay him, you know Steven A is going to lose it, but that’ll calm down pretty quickly. 

20 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

With the inconsistency and injuries from Stafford, Rodgers, Wilson, Carr ( not injured but has been wildly inconsistent this year), Watson and now Murray, do other NFL teams look at that and hesitate to sign their QBs to long term deals?? 

Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan spent a whole segment on this yesterday afternoon.

I'd like a franchise to start implementing the QB position just like the RB position.   Keep drafting a QB every year and see if they pan out.  Have 2-3 QBs always competing for the job and see who rises to the top and then build a great offense and defense will all the extra money you save on cheap QB.

If a Josh Allen (ELITE) comes along... You sign him long term and change your philosophy on the position for 15 years. :)

Anything less than Elite, you trade them away and get the extra draft capital out of them to make the team better.

A strong team with a "serviceable" QB can win in this league.

Lamar, Kyler, Wilson (in current state), Carr, are not elite IMO.

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I think there might be a rub with Roman and his offense too. I don’t think Lamar likes playing in it and I don’t think the Ravens are 100% confident that Jackson will do as well in something more like the majority of NFL teams run. I think the Ravens would be best served to have Jackson play under the tag and under a new OC next season if I am correct. I don’t see Roman staying In Baltimore much longer anyway and the team should get a good read on how Lamar does under the new OC before paying him. 

They already know the answer to that, which is why Roman is there in the first place. I think they move on from both next season.

10 minutes ago, Governor said:

They already know the answer to that, which is why Roman is there in the first place. I think they move on from both next season.

Early in his career, certainly. But as much as people rip on him, he’s improved quite a bit as a passer in the last couple seasons. Franchise QBs are too valuable to kick one who has been as successful as he has to the curb without being sure. If they do want to move on, then there won’t be a shortage of trade partners. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

You said he’s shown nothing as a passer-  

My rebuttal:  he led the league in TDs passes.  Name another Terrible passer that has led the NFL in TD passes.  He has most definitely “shown something as a passer”.  But make stuff up to suit your agenda.  

put him in a heavy passing offense and he’ll fail.  Of course he’d fail.  He’s not a “great passer”.  No one is saying he’s great. 

It’s 2023 -  it’s not 1978-  QBs run now.  He just so happens to be the best running qb ever.  Putting him in a pass heavy offense would be stupid because it would limit his abilities.  

last point-  You’re arguing the fact that someone called him a “pretty good qb”-  you’re arguing that…..”pretty good qb”.  He’s  45-16 as a starter……but he’s not pretty good?   More crack.  You need it

I will add that Lamar has really improved his passing over his pro career just like Josh Allen has.   His passing skills are different from JA's, but he's a decent passer, and one of the top QBs in the NFL.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I will add that Lamar has really improved his passing over his pro career just like Josh Allen has.   His passing skills are different from JA's, but he's a decent passer, and one of the top QBs in the NFL.

I agree.  I think he’ll continue to get better as a passer as he sees more defenses. 

His biggest problem as a passer is inconsistency imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, hjnick said:

I'd like a franchise to start implementing the QB position just like the RB position.   Keep drafting a QB every year and see if they pan out.  Have 2-3 QBs always competing for the job and see who rises to the top and then build a great offense and defense will all the extra money you save on cheap QB.

If a Josh Allen (ELITE) comes along... You sign him long term and change your philosophy on the position for 15 years. :)

Anything less than Elite, you trade them away and get the extra draft capital out of them to make the team better.

A strong team with a "serviceable" QB can win in this league.

Lamar, Kyler, Wilson (in current state), Carr, are not elite IMO.

I wonder if we’ll reach a point where teams have 2 starting QBs and it becomes game plan specific or situational. The Pats will probably try it at some point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.