Draft Ratings after 13 ??????????

Bill Grundy

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Beane needs to be on the hot seat at least, if not fired.

I just wanted to be the first to say it. :lol:

You are absolutely f’n nuts!! Beane is better than Bill Polian in my eyes! He chose Josh Allen!! Period!! When the whole FB hierarchy Laughed at him!!

Round 1: Kaiir Elam, CB

10 games, 2 INTs…beat out early by a late round pick. Inconsistent usage, makes me question this move. 

Round 2: James Cook, RB

13 games, 489 Total Yards, 1 TD…coming on as of late, still playing a limited role.

Round 3: Terrel Bernard, LB

13 games, 21 tackles.

Nearly half of which were in mop-up duty vs TEN and PIT

7 tackles starting due to injury vs. Jets playing 98% of snaps where it is we’ll know he was wildly exposed. 

Brought in AJ Klien to replace him as first back up LB

Terrible.

Round 5: Khalil Shakir, WR

11 games, 8 catches for 128 Yards, 1TD….essentially replacement level.

Round 6: Matt Araiza, P

released before the season following for obvious reasons

Round 6: Christian Benford, CB

9 games, 1 INT

Placed on IR following week 12…probably the lone highlight of this draft IMO due to value and production. Will be good to get him back into the mix at the latest next season.

Round 6: Luke Tenuta, OL

released at final roster cuts, has since been with the Colts and now the Packers

Round 7: Baylon Spector, LB

6 games, 0 tackles

Its underwhelming, at least on early returns 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There’s no other way to look at it. This draft class has been pretty disappointing…. so far. Can they turn into something next year, or the next? Sure! But so far… not so much. 

What were you expecting? we were a few plays away from a Super Bowl, asking a rookie to make a significant difference asking a lot, I mean look at KC or St Louis and other elite teams from last year, what are their rookies doing?

Just now, The Jokeman said:

What were you expecting? we were a few plays away from a Super Bowl, asking a rookie to make a significant difference asking a lot, I mean look at KC or St Louis and other elite teams from last year, what are their rookies doing?

It’s been said quite a few times in this post. At the very minimum I’d have expected a starting CB on a team that not only needed one but it could be said desperately needed one. At the minimum. 

Just now, hemma said:

I guess I’d give Benford a 6, Elam and Cook a 4 and the rest of them a bleh.

I hesitate to give up on any of those that remain as we’ve recently seen that young players can turn a corner -> Epenesa.

For sure, but the thread is looking at them as of right now. I can’t imagine getting any LESS of a contribution out of an entire draft class. But there’s always next year. 

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Blackshear averages 3.8 ypc… He isn’t some diamond in the rough.. he’s a replaceable jag

Singletary , cook and Hines are all better 

I'm not disagreeing with you, but he's looked better than Moss ever did. 

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Maybe i read it wrong, but i thought it was for contributions year to date.

I’m retired, so I’ll probably retain my current position.

Elam has the potential to be a top 10 corner in the league. His question mark was his tackling, not his coverage ability, as evidenced by the fact that his stats a very similar to Dane Jackson's even though he has played considerably LESS. 

I'm not sure what's going on but McDermott is talking out of his ass by claiming he's trying to put the best players on the field. We've all watched Jackson get beat like a drum most of the season. On basically any other team, Elam starts, no question about it. 

16 minutes ago, Luka said:

Elam has the potential to be a top 10 corner in the league. His question mark was his tackling, not his coverage ability, as evidenced by the fact that his stats a very similar to Dane Jackson's even though he has played considerably LESS. 

I'm not sure what's going on but McDermott is talking out of his ass by claiming he's trying to put the best players on the field. We've all watched Jackson get beat like a drum most of the season. On basically any other team, Elam starts, no question about it. 

It’s interesting. Elam has now played what amounts to another full year plus of college football going up against NFL quality receivers on a daily basis. I find it really hard to believe that he isn’t ready to start. We get all over the Bills O-Line coach but I’ve got to wonder what’s up with the DB coach. 

Elam -- 4 out of 10. He has shown a couple of flashes, but when your 1st round pick at a position of need is a healthy scratch late in the season, that's reason for a low grade. Still, he has the physical tools, so perhaps the future is still bright.

Cook -- 5. Nothing special yet, but I think he'll be an average starter. We need a solid #1 that can move the pile. Also with soft hands.
Bernard -- 2. Not ready for prime time. Maybe never will be? I think he has his work cut out for him.
Shakir -- 5. Not many chances, but I still think he'll be in the NFL for years to come. Possibly an above average starter.
Benford -- 7. Best value. He will also be around a long time if he stays healthy. Possibly above average starter.
Biggest concern is Elam. If he can live up to expectations, that will really help us win games. He has a former DB as his DC and HC so the odds are in his favor.

5 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but he's looked better than Moss ever did. 

Moss was averaging 5.4 ypc before we traded him … averaged 4.3 his first year 

blackshear is in the 3s… Moss wasn’t a stud but it’s absolutely revisionist to say blackshear looked better then he ever did lol 

when the stats say it’s not 

If you take away their long on the season they’re both 3.0 backs but moss has a 4.3 500 yard season 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, Process said:

The bills are ready to win a SB now. They should be drafting players that can contribute now. We spent our first three picks on a CB that isn't playing, a RB we don't use and a special teams player.

The early returns are not great but hopefully they develop and con contribute next year.

Imagine how much better off we'd be if we took Pickens/Watson/Robinson and than an o lineman in round 3.

This. Cook has come on some but it’s telling that even with all the injuries, our draft picks can’t make much of an impact. The Bernard pick is the one that made me throw my remote and he’s a waste. I’m more pissed about it now than even then. Parham was the right choice. Now we have to figure out the OL still since it’s such a disaster. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, Process said:

The bills are ready to win a SB now. They should be drafting players that can contribute now. We spent our first three picks on a CB that isn't playing, a RB we don't use and a special teams player.

The early returns are not great but hopefully they develop and con contribute next year.

Imagine how much better off we'd be if we took Pickens/Watson/Robinson and than an o lineman in round 3.

The CB picks - Elam and Benford did pretty damn good when White was out. Dane is just better right now but the fact they held it down for 12 weeks was worth the pick

This yr contribution, as of right now:

Elam: C+

Cook: B-

Bernard: C

Shakir: C

Araiza: F

Shakir: C

Benford: B

Spector: C

Tenuta: n/a

That said, these can quickly change depending on P/T and key plays made at critical moments in the playoffs.  Guys like Elam and Cook, I'd expect the coaches have a plan to get more involved (already seeing this with Cook).

Future: obviously too early. 

Elam: They haven't missed on many secondary selections, have to think he will blossom. 

Cook: looks like a potential starter/rotational guy. And more explosion/pass catching ability than we've had recently.

Bernard: was an insurance policy for Milano, and someone who needs an offseason to get stronger/learn our scheme (think he will be a surprise player next yr).

Shakir: is more hype than production as of now (mostly hyped by fans), but think he could be our future slot.

Benford: valuable CB depth, and someone who might move to S.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.