I think these gritty wins are better for a SB run over the blowouts earlier in the year.

JerseyBills

I actually enjoy them more too. 

Earlier in the year we were on fire in every aspect and them blowouts are very fun and relaxing to watch. But as they say - adversity builds character and I think these recent Ws will help us more to go on that SB run this team is very capable of making. 

And the reason is that these hard fought, gritty wins really take all 3 phases to be top notch and keep the pedal to the metal for 60 minutes. 

I think that resonates in practices and gives guys an extra chip on their shoulder to put in that extra preparation during the week and say hey I'm on a SB team and I can potentially make a game changing play to win us a football game. 

It's never easy to win in the NFL, especially this time of year and these ugly wins are only going to make this team more battle tested in the playoffs and when the going gets tough, they'll have that feeling that they been here before and find a way to win. Versus beating everyone by 2 + TDs and potentially taking the foot of the gas in preparation. 

As they say , games are won Mon- Saturday. So I think these wins will only strengthen this teams character and resiliency in pursuit of a SB.

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 11
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I actually enjoy them more too. 

Earlier in the year we were on fire in every aspect and them blowouts are very fun and relaxing to watch. But as they say - adversity builds character and I think these recent Ws will help us more to go on that SB run this team is very capable of making. 

And the reason is that these hard fought, gritty wins really take all 3 phases to be top notch and keep the pedal to the metal for 60 minutes. 

I think that resonates in practices and gives guys an extra chip on their shoulder to put in that extra preparation during the week and say hey I'm on a SB team and I can potentially make a game changing play to win us a football game. 

It's never easy to win in the NFL, especially this time of year and these ugly wins are only going to make this team more battle tested in the playoffs and when the going gets tough, they'll have that feeling that they been here before and find a way to win. Versus beating everyone by 2 + TDs and potentially taking the foot of the gas in preparation. 

As they say , games are won Mon- Saturday. So I think these wins will only strengthen this teams character and resiliency in pursuit of a SB.

Go Bills!!

Really good point. There is an art to winning these gritty games, esp against tough opponents, or in bad weather, or not playing your best football. Patriots did this for 20 years. 

That said, I also think there is a lot to be said for peaking at the right time. My hope is that we use these last few weeks to create momentum. I actually thought the run game last week was going to be something we build on. Maybe it comes back next week. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

It was a great win yesterday. It was very workman like and efficient. Even though Josh threw for around 150 he played well. I really liked the response to make it 14-7. The Jets tie it up in the 3rd and the Bills answered on the next drive. The defense got after White pretty good. The Bills get two FG's to increase their lead and take control of the game. The Jets (minus the QB) are a really good team especially that defense. Look at the two games this year. A 20-17 loss and a 20-12 win. It's going to be tough playing this team going forward. JD and Saleh are doing the same thing for them as Beane and McDermott have done for us. We are just further along in the rebuild. Anyway, they evened the season series with the Jets. Improved to 2-2 in the division after starting 0-2. Fish lose which gives the Bills firm control of the AFCE. Kept pace with KC to retain the #1 seed for another week. Overall, it was a good day. Just wish the Broncos could have pulled off the upset. They came close. Now it's Squish the Fish week. Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

won't be facing the Lions, Browns, Jets in their playoff run...

I think if all 3 phases of their game was top notch in all 3 phases for 60 minutes, those 3 games wouldn't have been so hard fought.

It's hard to win in December.  Jets and Browns, both 8 point Ws , we were in control for the entire 2nd half and the Lions are really good imo and won 5 of 6, Bills being their only L and just beat a 10-2 team that beat us. 

I'm not saying all 3 phases are lights out 

I'm just saying, moving forward , these "finding a way " victories will have us more battle tested and ready in January. We needed all 3 phases to get these Ws and we're going to need that in Jan

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Yesterday was very calm for me.  Never really had the sense that the game was in doubt.  The three games we really gutted out this year were Chiefs, Ravens and Lions.

I definitely agree on the first part. I was never all that concerned. My problem, if there is one, is the play calling. The team just looks very uncreative. 

• Agree 1

There is as saying in the sailing world,

“Calm seas don’t make a skilled sailor “

these sorts of wins build a teams know how from the coaches on down. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

There's nothing easy in the NFL.  KC was up 27-0 early yesterday and laughing...and had to hang on for dear life.  Blowouts are less stressful, but more often than not the games will be within 1 score and it's a great sign to be able to win them.  

Philly is blowing teams out but they will be in some close games too, in the playoffs.  It's a lock.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

There's nothing easy in the NFL.  KC was up 27-0 early yesterday and laughing...and had to hang on for dear life. 

No kidding, KC won't be playing Denver in the playoffs but if Wilson didn't get injured Denver wins that game.  The Jets on the other hand were the 7 seed before the late game finished, yesterday was no gimme.  

There are no style points, neither in wins nor in loses but I feel that we could be a little more consistent on offense, at times we're like that explosive boxer that wants to win with one punch, then we miss that punch and we find ourselves in a bad spot.

We didn't try to stablish a run game so that you can take advantage of PA, moreso in a slippery field. When Quinnen Williams went down, we should have tried to run the ball a lot more than we did but we failed to do so. 

But a win is a win and we are "masters of our domain", if we somehow can get a little more consistent on offense we shouldn't have a problem securing that home field advantage for the playoffs. 

Edited by Fixxxer

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

It's hard to win in December.  Jets and Browns, both 8 point Ws , we were in control for the entire 2nd half and the Lions are really good imo and won 5 of 6, Bills being their only L and just beat a 10-2 team that beat us. 

I'm not saying all 3 phases are lights out 

I'm just saying, moving forward , these "finding a way " victories will have us more battle tested and ready in January. We needed all 3 phases to get these Ws and we're going to need that in Jan

These games were close because all 3 phases were not, in fact,  "top notch for 60 minutes".   They need to get out to faster starts on offense. 

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

I agree. Also, for all those who say our offense was better last year, did you watch the Jacksonville, Tennessee or first Patriots game?

We had far more poor offensive performances in terms of both yards and points last year than we have this year.  People just remember things differently as time goes on...it's mostly recency bias.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.