Do we need to start blitzing more?

Toledo Bill

If Groot is out and Espenesa (who looks like a bust) is out and Basham is not impressing on pass rushing should we revise our strategy regarding blitzing?Our tackles have not been generating a lot of pressure and Miller is constantly doubled.

That was a great blitz last week with Milano coming on the outside of Miller. 
I am concerned that Detroits offense will kill us with a lack of pass rush and the way our corners are playing. Looking for opinions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

Its a complicated question. We see when it works but typically we don't see all the times you get burnt blitzing.  Now perhaps that completion would happen with or without blitzing. 

I'm in the camp if you can generate just a few more negative plays on defense its ok to give up a few more splash plays by the opposing offense.  Our defense is death by a thousand cuts and just hoping the opponent bleeds out before we do. 

One strip sack or pick 6 can change the entire game. One 25 yard completiongiven up probably not so much.

That said, they were rushing Miller against their RT and he was bull rushing most of the time. Would be nice to see a bit more creativity.  The Milano sack was as much about Miller looping inside as it was about the blitz. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Did you watch the Cleveland game? More blitzes called than any other game this year.

🤦‍♂️

56 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

If Groot is out and Espenesa (who looks like a bust) is out and Basham is not impressing on pass rushing should we revise our strategy regarding blitzing?Our tackles have not been generating a lot of pressure and Miller is constantly doubled.

That was a great blitz last week with Milano coming on the outside of Miller. 
I am concerned that Detroits offense will kill us with a lack of pass rush and the way our corners are playing. Looking for opinions.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Need to start mixing it up. Stop playing such a vanilla and predictable Defense. We need more blitzes and stunts upfront. 

That'd be my opinion....it'd be an interesting wrinkle for us to dial it up even another 20% just because it's basically a "known fact" we don't blitz. Can always go back to form in tight spots.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Sure. Let’s leave the inexperienced secondary on an island, while we’re at it.

It’s always a compromise. One or two well-timed blitzes is enough for me. Too much investment is DL to need to keep bringing 5-6 every down.

Blitzing more and getting press on the QB could actually help our secondary.  When a QB is under pressure is more apt to throw a bad pass.

And I don't really care how much money we spent on the DLine. It seems they can't get much pressure by themselves. Give them some help.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

That'd be my opinion....it'd be an interesting wrinkle for us to dial it up even another 20% just because it's basically a "known fact" we don't blitz. Can always go back to form in tight spots.

agreed. And stunts and games upfront with the big guys. Create lanes and confusion. Watching this Defense really passes me off how basic they play. It’s like a high school Defense. 

• Like (+1) 3

Nope. Play our defense. Get some plays out of our playmakers - Ed, Von, Milano and Poyer - fight like hell to stay in the game on defense and hope the offense gets its collective head out of its ass. We will give up some plays and give up some long drives but if we make enough to keep them to mid 20s points wise then out offense should win us any game. Until we get our injured guys back that is the only recipe IMO. 

We blitzed too much for my tastes on Sunday and got burned more than we got home. Sure, mix a few in, but regularly leaving these DBs 1v1 in coverage is a recipe to get beat and when Jefferson beats you that is one thing when Donovan Person-Jones does it, that's another.

• Like (+1) 2

It would be hard for them to blitz any less, so my answer would be "yes".  I was happy to see more selective pressure being applied against Cleveland. Now some want to say that it will expose our inexperienced secondary....but the lack of blitzing has not been the problem back there.  The problem in the last couple of games has been that they cannot break up passes at the 'high point' of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

agreed. And stunts and games upfront with the big guys. Create lanes and confusion. Watching this Defense really passes me off how basic they play. It’s like a high school Defense. 

The complexity of this defense is on the backend. That is how they are schemed and designed. They have had to dial that back somewhat with the injuries. They are not designed to be super exotic up front. Jumping to that mid-season would be an ill advised desperation move IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The complexity of this defense is on the backend. That is how they are schemed and designed. They have had to dial that back somewhat with the injuries. They are not designed to be super exotic up front. Jumping to that mid-season would be an ill advised desperation move IMO. 

Good point, agreed it’s all on the backend but I don’t see why we can’t stunt and play games upfront and the occasional blitz. Need to start giving new looks, we are far too predictable. 

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

It’s always a compromise. One or two well-timed blitzes is enough for me. Too much investment is DL to need to keep bringing 5-6 every down.

If you can't get pressure wrs will get open even against the best secondary...not getting pressure is EXPOSING them

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Giving the QB time to throw only rushing 4 and not getting pressure is doing exactly what you're claiming blitzing does.

If the secondary is your weakness, you do not let the QB sit back there and wait for receivers to come open.  You have to force the bad throws.

Most QBs in the NFL will find the receivers if given time to throw and if you're not getting pressure by just rushing the front 4, that's exactly what you'll be doing.

I'm certainly not advocating blitzing every down, but this defense has become way too predictable and has grown far too content with rushing 4, not getting pressure, and having our secondary exposed by meh QBs like Brissett.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.