[Name Only Title] Jerry Hughes

cv05

Hadn't really being paying attention - but he has 8 sacks this year. Same as Von. Through half a season he has 4 times as much as he accumulated all of last year with us. 

With the busts we have on the d-line and absolute criminal mismanagement of this roster (Ed Oliver, AJ Epenessa, Boogie Basham, Greg R., $$$$ in Von, numerous free agents) I feel this is a real indictment on our coaching staff and talent evaluation. Especially with glaring holes on the O-line and at WR.

The only reason this team is relevant is the lottery ticket we cashed named Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Cant really look at things like this in a vacuum.   You'd have to look at the Texans defense and see how many times Jerry is part of a blitz package, rather than just rushing 4 like the Bills do.   Jerry may have as many sacks as Von does this year, but he didnt have as many as Von does in this specific defense.

• Like (+1) 3

Different scheme.. Houston plays aggressive to try and cover up the lack of talent. They definitely cannot cover for 3-5 seconds. 
Buffalo plays conservative. There are plenty of guys on the roster right now who would probably thrive in a different system that played a more aggressive style. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Hadn't really being paying attention - but he has 8 sacks this year. Same as Von. Through half a season he has 4 times as much as he accumulated all of last year with us. 

With the busts we have on the d-line and absolute criminal mismanagement of this roster (Ed Oliver, AJ Epenessa, Boogie Basham, Greg R., $$$$ in Von, numerous free agents) I feel this is a real indictment on our coaching staff and talent evaluation. Especially with glaring holes on the O-line and at WR.

The only reason this team is relevant is the lottery ticket we cashed named Josh Allen.

Even after looking like ass for three straight weeks, the Bills are #2 in the NFL in points scored/game and points allowed/game.  And they're still favored to win the Super Bowl.

Who's your favorite team?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Cant really look at things like this in a vacuum.   You'd have to look at the Texans defense and see how many times Jerry is part of a blitz package, rather than just rushing 4 like the Bills do.   Jerry may have as many sacks as Von does this year, but he didnt have as many as Von does in this specific defense.

2021 snap percent with bills : 51%
2022  snap percent with houston : 61% 

2021 tackles with bills : 18
2022  tackles with houston (1/2 season) : 23

2021 tfl with bills : 1
2022  tfl with houston (1/2 season) : 9

Coaching = getting the most out of what you've got. McDermott and Co. appear to stink at it. Other evidence - the rest of the d-line and a defense full of 1st and 2nd round picks. Dabol having a better record with a garbage team. 13 seconds, etc etc.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

The DL has been better this year and is legitimately good but yeah I would still tend to agree. Regardless of how Hughes is playing in Houston, the DL still feels somewhat underwhelming considering the insane amount of resources invested in it. With 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, and $35+ million a year spent on vets you’d expect them to be dominant.

On a positive note, I thought Epenesa and Basham did a great job of stepping up with Rousseau out. Against a really good pair of tackles too.

Edited by gobills404
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Did you not watch his last few years here? He looked done. The hell do I care that he has 8 sacks on one of the worst teams in the league. 

I'd be pretty surprised if the 1-7-1 Texans don't finish dead last. 

I agree- Hughes looked pretty old and done in Buffalo the past few seasons. I never would've guessed he would have 8 sacks halfway through the season

43 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Von has 8 sacks, not the same as Hughes, but who cares about being accurate when starting a ridiculously stupid thread

43 minutes ago, cv05 said:

2021 snap percent with bills : 51%
2022  snap percent with houston : 61% 

2021 tackles with bills : 18
2022  tackles with houston (1/2 season) : 23

2021 tfl with bills : 1
2022  tfl with houston (1/2 season) : 9

Coaching = getting the most out of what you've got. McDermott and Co. appear to stink at it. Other evidence - the rest of the d-line and a defense full of 1st and 2nd round picks. Dabol having a better record with a garbage team. 13 seconds, etc etc.

You didnt answer my question.   How often are the Texans blitzing compared to the Bills?   You also ignored my point about Jerry not being successful in THE BILLS defense compared to what Von is doing in the same defense.

Yes, his stats are better this year.   But stats dont always tell the story of what is going on.   Bottom line is Von is looking to have 15 sacks this year in the same defense in which Hughes never had more than 7.  

Please tell me how the coaching is better on the Texans when they are currently ranked 30th in defense in the league, meanwhile the Bills, who you're making such hot takes about are ranked 8th? 

Sorry man, I love what Jerry Hughes did for this team, but I'd take Von Miller over him any day of the week. I'd also take the Bills coaching staff over the Texans coaching staff 100% of the time.   I dont even know how you can make the argument that a coaching staff that is likely going to be on the unemployment line at the end of the year, is getting more from their talent than the Bills staff.  And not only did you make it, you're actually defending it.   You're grasping at straws here.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They should have kept Hughes and cut Epenesa.  Epenesa, Ford, and Moss are massive busts. A three man DE rotation of Hughes, Miller, and Rousseau each getting about 40-50% of the snaps and Lawson/Basham getting the remainder would have been perfect.

Time to put Oliver in the “fail” category.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.