Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Do you feel Vic Carucci is still particularly well connected in the Buffalo Bills locker room?

Allen missed 5 weeks his rookie year (4 games plus a bye week).  It's a reasonable thought that if this injury is thought to be "less severe" than his 2018 injury, he might miss 3 or 4 weeks instead of 5. 

But there are a lot of specifics that aren't known

I can’t imagine he knows anything more than anyone else. It’s probably just an educated guess by all the information that he has heard

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I can’t imagine he knows anything more than anyone else. It’s probably just an educated guess by all the information that he has heard

At one time, I had the impression that Carucci was a bit of an insider and got a lot of stuff from someone inside OBD. 

But I think a lot of that went away when Beane took a broom and swept the FO clean then only let people he vetted back in.

But that's just my impression, I could be wrong.

FWIW, here's Dr. Kyle Trimble PT take on the injury - it has a lot of diagrams explaining the elbow structure, where the ulnar collateral ligament is located, where the ulnar nerve is and what impact that would have etc.   He also gives his opinion on the time Allen might miss.  

https://bangedupbills.com/2022/11/08/josh-allens-elbow-injury/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

At one time, I had the impression that Carucci was a bit of an insider and got a lot of stuff from someone inside OBD. 

But I think a lot of that went away when Beane took a broom and swept the FO clean then only let people he vetted back in.

FWIW, here's Dr. Kyle Trimble PT take on the injury - it has a lot of diagrams explaining the elbow structure, where the ulnar collateral ligament is located, where the ulnar nerve is and what impact that would have etc.   He also gives his opinion on the time Allen might miss.  

ACTUAL INFORMATION?!? lol thank you Beck seriously. 

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I’m wondering if wearing some kind of brace will help in the actual game from re-aggravating his injury. I remember him wearing one a couple seasons ago on his (left?) arm before. 

at a certain point a brace, if restrictive enough, is going to hurt more than it helps. At least with what Allen does and is capable of doing.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Keenum has played for a long time and has been successful. I’m not excited that he’s playing, but I know he knows the game and knows how to move the football at this level. We could do far worse than Keenum 

Who said that Keenum was playing? Nobody.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

ACTUAL INFORMATION?!? lol thank you Beck seriously. 

Welcome!

18 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

at a certain point a brace, if restrictive enough, is going to hurt more than it helps. At least with what Allen does and is capable of doing.

When Josh Allen sprained his L shoulder (AC joint) against the Raiders, he was seen wearing a restrictive "linebacker brace" the next 2 weeks against the Titans and the Chiefs.  He was "off" passing, typically missing high (Hasselbeck explained that's typical for that injury and why), until, during the 4Q against the chiefs, it seemed like he took it off despite some apparent protests from trainers, and all of a sudden could pass.  I think next game or 2 he was taped up.

Anyway, I can't imagine an elbow brace that would be restrictive enough to be protective, but that wouldn't mess with some aspect of Josh's delivery given the multiple arm angles he uses.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stevestojan said:

For those that said they aren’t hugely concerned with Keenum starting for us, quick question: why aren’t you hugely concerned with Kennum starting for us ? 98.3%* of our offense is Josh Allen. 

*I made that number up, but it’s high. 

Count me as someone who is hugely concerned if Keenum starts, which I think he will.

I have already stated that we should expect the team to lose all games which he starts.  If that turns out to wrong, FANTASTIC!  I will be very pleasantly surprised.

23 minutes ago, haroldwaide said:

Theoretically, they could announce Case as the starting quarterback tomorrow...then have Josh start at WR before taking over as QB from play 2 on just to confuse the Vikings.

This reminds me of years ago (2016? 2018?) when everyone was trying to figure out who the QB would be opening day. Turned out it was Tyrod, but on the first snap of the game, I want to say it was Ortin or whatever forgettable middle of the road back up we had. They came out in some trick formation, and IIRC, it was speculated it had to do with a contract clause regarding paying TT 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Waitaminnut, Waitaminnut, Waitaminnut!

That video Brown posted and then also this one

Never mind the brace - what's that he's wearing on his LEFT forearm?

Isn't that a QB wristband, with the playcalls and all?  And he's wearing a RED jersey?

I don't care what the media saw, and maybe he wasn't "participating in practice", but why would Allen be wearing a QB wristband, a red jersey, and walking through the fieldhouse in the same direction as players who have just come from practice like Kumerow if he weren't out at practice in some capacity?  He must at least be standing behind Keenum taking mental reps.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

This reminds me of years ago (2016? 2018?) when everyone was trying to figure out who the QB would be opening day. Turned out it was Tyrod, but on the first snap of the game, I want to say it was Ortin or whatever forgettable middle of the road back up we had. They came out in some trick formation, and IIRC, it was speculated it had to do with a contract clause regarding paying TT 

Matt Cassel lol

Seems like no one is discussing Josh's last 3 halves of decision making, and the sudden refusal to NOT take what the GB and NYJ defenses were giving him. Short and intermediate routes were open on many of the incompletions and interceptions in those 3 halves of bad passing offense, and Allen chose instead to be belligerently aggressive. 

Is it at all possible that forcing him to step back and see things objectively from the sideline for a game (or 2 or 3, god forbid) will actually help him remember what was propelling his early season ELITE play? Taking what the defenses were giving him early and often, and then as the game wears on, exploiting those moments where the opponents finally got impatient/aggressive? The big plays are earned by PROVING you'll take the small plays over and over. Our guy has definitely backslid into terrible habits, both with decision-making and, on some of those skipped throws to the right flat, mechanics. A step back might allow him to flush out those toxic tendencies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

The only real insider these days is Mort. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Waitaminnut, Waitaminnut, Waitaminnut!

That video Brown posted and then also this one

Never mind the brace - what's that he's wearing on his LEFT forearm?

Isn't that a QB wristband, with the playcalls and all?  And he's wearing a RED jersey?

I don't care what the media saw, and maybe he wasn't "participating in practice", but why would Allen be wearing a QB wristband, a red jersey, and walking through the fieldhouse in the same direction as players who have just come from practice like Kumerow if he weren't out at practice in some capacity?  He must at least be standing behind Keenum taking mental reps.

Play call sheet

3 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Is there anyone who actually believes he is playing on Sunday? I mean come on, you have to understand there is no freaking way.

A lot of us mainly because evidence leans more towards him playing than not.

Are you so adamant that he won't play that you'll leave the board if he does?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.