Favorite movie(singular)and why and how many x

US Egg

hubby and I dated when the original "Rocky Horror Picture Show" was in rave movie for Midnight showings. The costumes, the toast and rice throwing, the vocal comebacks.  It was a wild scene back in the day

The reason I bring it up is because it is nowhere near the favorite movie I have ever seen. But I have spent many a Halloween night watching it and it became a tradition.

holy cow Im guessing I've seen it at least 30 times counting theater and halloween. wow. that's crazy! lol-m

Well, it is not art cinema, but I love "My Cousin Vinny". The interplay between Pesci and Tomei is so funny, and the courtroom scenes are more convincing than in many courtroom dramas. I have seen the beginning of the movie perhaps 10 times, but the end more than 30 times. Every time I see it on the TV schedule, I switch to it, independent of how far we are into the movie.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Mr. Ebert, the thread asks what is your favorite movie, kapeche?

Right, why engage in conversation about movies.

Simply create a list of movies.

WTF is the point of that?  How very 2BD of you!  

We already know what movies have been made.  Why list them here?

Most threads devolve into this type of thing.

"Name your 3 best Bills defenders of all time" which quickly deteriorates into a long list of past Bills defenders.

I don't have a favorite movie; too hard to do that.

Somewhere in my Top 10 would be:

Godfather I and II which I view as really 1 piece of work.

Apocalypse Now

2001: A Space Odyssey

Schindler's List

Alien

Dr. Strangelove

Goodfellas 

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I like Casablanca because I was a Bogart fan when I was a kid. But you aren’t wrong. As I recall reading, the studios were just pumping out movies constantly around WW2, and this was just one of a bunch of sort of mindless movies they put out.

It definitely had a "rah-rah" Patriotic vibe to it, especially at the time of its release. 

There were a ton of these war movies, some of which I enjoy.

Another Bogart WWII film that I would much rather watch than Casablanca is "Sahara".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Right, why engage in conversation about movies.

Simply create a list of movies.

WTF is the point of that?  How very 2BD of you!  

We already know what movies have been made.  Why list them here?

Most threads devolve into this type of thing.

"Name your 3 best Bills defenders of all time" which quickly deteriorates into a long list of past Bills defenders.

I don't have a favorite movie; too hard to do that.

Somewhere in my Top 10 would be:

Godfather I and II which I view as really 1 piece of work.

Apocalypse Now

2001: A Space Odyssey

Schindler's List

Alien

Dr. Strangelove

Goodfellas 

It definitely had a "rah-rah" Patriotic vibe to it, especially at the time of its release. 

There were a ton of these war movies, some of which I enjoy.

Another Bogart WWII film that I would much rather watch than Casablanca is "Sahara"

Holy Shiite!

OK Casablanca sucks.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b1kxr3j8jom7ydouos

2 hours ago, muppy said:

hubby and I dated when the original "Rocky Horror Picture Show" was in rave movie for Midnight showings. The costumes, the toast and rice throwing, the vocal comebacks.  It was a wild scene back in the day

The reason I bring it up is because it is nowhere near the favorite movie I have ever seen. But I have spent many a Halloween night watching it and it became a tradition.

holy cow Im guessing I've seen it at least 30 times counting theater and halloween. wow. that's crazy! lol-m

Mrs. Lew  and I saw RHPS at the downtown theater on Sat night.  It was packed and everyone had a blast.

• Like (+1) 1

There are too many choices..

I'll go with Jaws.

Mrs. Lew and I were soon to be married.  We went to the mall and Mrs Lew (to be) had not yet  had her ears pierced.

Mom was a strict Catholic who did not believe in piercings.

We went to the piercing place and the process was done.

The lady said come back in two hours, so we went to see Jaws.

After the movie the piercings were complete.

my wedding gift to her were diamond earrings.

I'm not one to rank my "favorite" of just about anything.  Almost always depends on context, as they can vary over time/place/attitude.

But I'll toss one into the hopper:  

Network (1976)

No clue how many times I have watched it, but I have used that movie (as well as Being There (1979) as a teaching aid in various classes, over the years. So maybe 20-25 times?

https://youtu.be/yuBe93FMiJc

• Like (+1) 2

Dead Man’s Shoes 

A tale of brotherly love and revenge. Directed by the excellent Shane Meadows. 

I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen it.

Also on my top films list:

In Brugge 

The Guard

The Banshees of Inisherin

Three Billboards

I don't have a favorite movie. I do have favorites. 

To Have and Have Not -- the best of the Bogie & Bacall combos.

Babette's Feast -- lyrical and poignant.

The Black Stallion -- there is a wondrous quality to the boy and the horse on the island.

Wild Strawberries -- dreamlike, dark, yet sweet.

Blue -- the best of Kieslowski's color trilogy

In the Mood for Love -- pitch perfect period piece by Wong Kar-wai.

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.  Amazing cast of actors and characters and one of the best scenes in movie history.  Clint Eastwood is amazing in the whole Dollars Trilogy. 

I've only seen it a handful of times, but I've loved it every time. 

In college a decade ago, a buddy of mine and I decided to watch it after a long night out with lots of drinks. We caught it being replayed on some cable television station, commercials and all. 

I watched about an hour, fell asleep on the couch for an hour and a half, woke up and there was still another two hours left in the movie! 

Longest movie ever. Or most commercials. Idk but def thoroughly enjoyed the classic Mexican standoff scene. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

Repo Man (1984)

Why? It's totally original, weird, funny, great characters and dialogue. 

Seen it at least 50 times. 

5 hours ago, f0neguy said:

What I’ve watched the most?  Monty Python and the Holy Grail, no idea how many times..!

A lot of my favorites have already been posted but a couple that I’d add to the list are..   Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange, and Pulp Fiction.

A Clockwork Orange would be in my top 5 favorite movies.

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm not one to rank my "favorite" of just about anything.  Almost always depends on context, as they can vary over time/place/attitude.

But I'll toss one into the hopper:  

Network (1976)

No clue how many times I have watched it, but I have used that movie (as well as Being There (1979) as a teaching aid in various classes, over the years. So maybe 20-25 times?

https://youtu.be/yuBe93FMiJc

Chance is one of my favorite movie characters of all time. 

My favorite depends on the day or mood I'm in. Today feels like a Stand By Me kind of day. I've seen it all the way through maybe 8 times. Something about Gordo, Chris, Vern and Teddy keeps me going back to a time that I never lived but feels like a childhood memory. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 3

Contact is a favorite of mine.  But now I'm more into The Martian.  Either one, if it's on, I will watch it.  On a plane flight earlier this year, I saw The Martian was one of the seat back selections.  Even though I did not have headphones with me, I still put it on since I knew almost every line of dialogue. The way Jeff Daniels played the Director of Nasa, is how I envision myself being a boss.  

I'll mention a few that haven't been discussed. 

Rocky - Saw it many times in the theatre and dozens of times since.

Empire Strikes Back - Same as above as it's the best of the original trilogy.

Goodfellas is probably my most watched, I really find the dubbing on the cable version quite funny.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.