Poyer elbow injury (update: “day-to-day”)

YoloinOhio

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

It does matter why he is playing.  We have CB assets dont we?  Also here in Maryland he is often talked about as being on the Block and available for help elsewhere and needs elsewhere?.  So would the local beat reporters and news be wrong?

Dealing a Safety to get a CB or dealing a Safety to get a WR is ALOT more help for Baltimore and their run than having 3 safeties.

I see, so you're feeling like we'd trade one of our 3 currently playing CB to Baltimore to get an extra safety.  That provides motivation for both sides.  I'm not sure McDermott or Frazier see us as particularly having CB assets they're ready to trade though.   If Tre White were already back and playing at, say, 80%, then maybe?

I can't speak for your local beat reporters in MD but around B'lo they frequently seem to be wrong.  For example, Joe Buscaglia likes to read the tea leaves around benching and snap counts and make predictions about trades (trading Harrison Phillips back in 2020 one example) that don't seem to come to fruition.

1 minute ago, Ta111 said:

Exactly. Those bemoaning GB running the ball don’t understand that they were essentially just wishing to lose by something less than 20 points. The game was never in doubt. I’d love for every team we play who is down by 17-20 points in the 4th quarter to just run the ball.

I think this was sorta part of the issue with the offense. Allen felt like he was white knuckling for one more big TD so he could sit and GB would have to start thinking about abandoning the run. 

Just now, Beck Water said:

I see, so you're feeling like we'd trade one of our 3 currently playing CB to Baltimore to get an extra safety.  That provides motivation for both sides.  I'm not sure McDermott or Frazier see us as particularly having CB assets they're ready to trade though.   If Tre White were already back and playing at, say, 80%, then maybe?

I can't speak for your local beat reporters in MD but around B'lo they frequently seem to be wrong.  For example, Joe Buscaglia likes to read the tea leaves around benching and snap counts and make predictions about trades (trading Harrison Phillips back in 2020 one example) that don't seem to come to fruition.

OK Got it.  So the only way we can figure out what teams will do its from these reporters.  But clearly YOU from somewhere would know more than the people paid to cover the teams.  

End of the day. Bills tried to trade for Diggs didnt happen, did it mean the reporters that reported it were wrong????

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

So asking mcd to figure out what it is we're doing that makes them look flat off of a bye, in a year we're expected to be the one seed, is unrealistic?

I think its about the easiest/most realistic expectation a coach could fix. Everyone saying we need to trade for this or that, I'm asking to reflect internally to fix a mental lapse. I still don't understand what's difficult about this.

I asked myself this question about midway through last night's game: "do I think that the Bills are going to lose this one?"  And the answer was no.  Definitely no.  The Bills responded repeatedly when GB was knocking at the door.  Was it an amazing game?  No.  But again.  How many times have we seen this team waste opportunities like this in the past?  Often.  But not yesterday, and except for Miami, not this season.

8 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

What is Dr. Chao talking about re: Hyde possibly returning late in the season???   He's on season ending IR.   Am I missing something??  Or is Dr. Chao missing something 😂

And regarding Poyer, when I hear his diagnosis,  he obviously knows the history and he watched the play,  but I wonder if he is aware of Poyer's comments about feeling a "pop" and the reports of noticeable swelling right after the game.  

I wanna believe he's right!  And historically he has been right, so hopefully this is good news, but I'm just wondering if there is anything that he doesn't know.

There is no Season ending IR.  They can move Hyde back to the roster if he is healthy as long as they have not used all their returns (I think there is 8 this year)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There is no Season ending IR.  They can move Hyde back to the roster if he is healthy as long as they have not used all their returns (I think there is 8 this year)

Thank you for enlightening me.   So it was I that was missing something.  No surprise there 😂.  Plus, this is actually great news.    I had pretty much considered him out for the regular season and playoffs as a certainty.   The thought of having Poyer & Hyde available for the playoff run, well, that's something I'd take over home field advantage to be honest.  Not saying I wouldn't like to have them both, but if I had to choose, I'll take our new pass rush with White-Poyer-Hyde-Elam/Benford in the secondary in the playoffs against any team, any where. 

What is Dr. Chao talking about re: Hyde possibly returning late in the season???   He's on season ending IR.   Am I missing something??  Or is Dr. Chao missing something 😂

I think you may know this, but functionally there is no longer a requirement to "designate player to return" when they are placed on IR.  So in theory, any player on IR can return at any time after missing 4 games.  As far as Hyde coming back, at the time it was clearly stated that his particular surgery/surgeon said 6-9 month recovery.  Hyde isn't going to rush that, and the Bills aren't going to push him to rush that. 

I think what Chao is missing might be that unlike the Chargers when he was the team doc, the Bills don't seem interested in having multiple players sue their team doctor for mishandling their injuries.

And regarding Poyer, when I hear his diagnosis,  he obviously knows the history and he watched the play,  but I wonder if he is aware of Poyer's comments about feeling a "pop" and the reports of noticeable swelling right after the game.  

I wanna believe he's right!  And historically he has been right, so hopefully this is good news, but I'm just wondering if there is anything that he doesn't know.

Eh, sometimes he's right, and sometimes he's not right.  He's almost certainly right that it's an elbow hyperextension and a re-injury of the previous hyperextension.  But re-injury doesn't always mean "more of the same injury", it could mean damage to the bone, ligament, or tendon.  What Chao doesn't know (nor we) is the MRI results.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BobBelcher said:

Thank you for enlightening me.   So it was I that was missing something.  No surprise there 😂.  Plus, this is actually great news.    I had pretty much considered him out for the regular season and playoffs as a certainty.   The thought of having Poyer & Hyde available for the playoff run, well, that's something I'd take over home field advantage to be honest.  Not saying I wouldn't like to have them both, but if I had to choose, I'll take our new pass rush with White-Poyer-Hyde-Elam/Benford in the secondary in the playoffs against any team, any where. 

Yeah no telling if Hyde can make it back as I have no idea the extent of the surgery or recovery for that surgery.  But it wont be because they cannot.  I am actually glad the NFL got rid of the season ending IR stuff. or the couple season they did the Long terms IR and Short term IR stuff it was all confusing 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah no telling if Hyde can make it back as I have no idea the extent of the surgery or recovery for that surgery.  But it wont be because they cannot.  I am actually glad the NFL got rid of the season ending IR stuff. or the couple season they did the Long terms IR and Short term IR stuff it was all confusing 

Yeah don't get me wrong.  I am not expecting Hyde to be back based on what I've learned today, but the mere fact that there's a chance is a lot better off than I understood the situation to be about 10 minutes ago.

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK Got it.  So the only way we can figure out what teams will do its from these reporters.  But clearly YOU from somewhere would know more than the people paid to cover the teams.  

End of the day. Bills tried to trade for Diggs didnt happen, did it mean the reporters that reported it were wrong????

This seems a bit out-of scale as a response.   

Especially for the Bills, Beane lives by "loose lips sink ships", so we really get very little credible information about what the Bills are interested in doing.  Our media speculate, and sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.  Better information is available from other teams, though I think Harbaugh and McDermott are kind of cut from the same "minimal info" cloth.

No where have I claimed to have some kind of superior knowledge so I'm not sure where the "clearly YOU from somewhere would know more" bit comes from. I guess if YOU snark with all caps it's more credible though?  Did it work?  🤪

Just now, Beck Water said:

This seems a bit out-of scale as a response.   

Especially for the Bills, Beane lives by "loose lips sink ships", so we really get very little credible information about what the Bills are interested in doing.  Our media speculate, and sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.  Better information is available from other teams, though I think Harbaugh and McDermott are kind of cut from the same "minimal info" cloth.

No where have I claimed to have some kind of superior knowledge so I'm not sure where the "clearly YOU from somewhere would know more" bit comes from. I guess if YOU snark with all caps it's more credible though?  Did it work?  🤪

Really so did we Draft Josh Allen you know when was reported in FEB?

Did we sign Von Miller (also reported early) 

Did we try to trade for Diggs

So yeah leaks happen all the time even with the Bills

14 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The Fact he is a Backup is the main reason.  they have Williams and Hamilton as starters.  SO yeah send a 2nd that will get him away.

Chuck Clark is NOT a backup. He is their starting strong safety who has started every game the last 3 seasons. Williams was brought in to be the FS and is on IR (probably due back December time). Hamilton hasn't started a single game even despite the Williams injury, Geno Stone has been starting. Hamilton has played over half the snaps on defense just twice in 8 games. That isn't unusual with the Ravens. They often slow play rookies - not unlike the Bills have done with Elam. 

I can see a scenario where Clark is not on the Ravens next year, it is the last of his current deal and they could save $3.5m in cap. So if they deem Hamilton ready to start in 2023 that is a possibility. But I doubt they trade their starting strong safety when leading their division and with their starting free safety already on IR. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The update is that if they don't trade for a safety in the next 44 minutes, it's good news...

Or an epic fail. 😉

Edited by WhoTom
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.