Christian McCaffrey traded to the 49ers for multiple 2nd day draft picks

Draconator

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not talking about practice. I'm talking about live game reps. 3 years is a really long time to go without any consistent live game reps. It's hard to see a path for him becoming a successful QB. Not that I'm advocating they should move on from him, but they need to be realistic about his chances and make decisions accordingly.

If he doesn't pan out they need draft picks and young players at premium positions. Not a RB with an injury history.

They didn't make this trade because of Trey Lance anyways. They made it because they think they can win a Super Bowl this year. Personally I think they are overrating their own chances. The NFC is weak but they still need to actually beat whatever AFC team makes it there if they get that far.

This is a multi year move make no mistake. And they wouldn't be drafting QB this year with those picks anyway. For most teams when they fail they want a high enough pick to grab a top QB. 

It makes zero difference if you think Lance is good, that's completely irrelevant.  What you need to understand is they think he's good so they are going to support him as best they can to succeed.  Premier skill talent around him helps that's indisputable. 

Taking a year or two to develop your mechanics, develop a full understanding of the offense and concepts, and practicing those concepts is very useful and applicable to development. In fact, for some QBs its more helpful because they don't get their head bashed in while trying to learn (see David Carr). Aaron Rogers spent 4 years on the bench then came in and dominated.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

That game was in a monsoon—-and the OL got destroyed.  I didn’t know that OLmen were at a disadvantage when playing in a monsoon-  

Their OL has been 🤮 this year and their 2nd and 3rd best OLmen are free agents next year.  

Low sacks given up doesn’t prove an OL is good.   Nor does it extrapolate how good their OL will be next year if they lose two of their best starters.  I’ve watched 5 

of their games this year (and most of them the last 12 years).  Their OL hasn’t been good.  You can talk about jimmys sacks all you want.  I know what I see

You realize they can still improve their line and resign those guys right? This doesn't stop them. They have over $51 million in cap space next year before they do a couple easy restructures/extensions. 

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I still wouldn’t have traded a 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th in 2024 for him even in hindsight if we don’t win a superbowl and they do.  We’d have to let some players walk to keep him too 

they are in danger of going all in on this year and not winning it then being screwed in the future especially because they traded up for Lance also.  I still think the eagles and cowboys with Dak are gonna be tough.  It’s hard to count out Brady figuring it out too 

With the NFC anything is possible, it’s all weak.  Somebody is going to the SB, from there ya never know.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

You’re comparing Lance practicing with the team to playing football.  They aren’t even close to the same thing.  And last year, he was practicing as a backup QB-  very few reps.  The dude has probably played less football than any starting qb in league history.  But he’s practiced…..

Aaron Rogers sat the bench 4 years. 

It's irrelevant about what you think of Lance chance to succeed. What's important is the 49ers perspective they do believe in him and they are doing everything possible to support him and give him the best weapons, which they are doing. 

Everyone thought Josh Allen was terrible and look how that turned out. 

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

This is a multi year move make no mistake. And they wouldn't be drafting QB this year with those picks anyway. For most teams when they fail they want a high enough pick to grab a top QB. 

It makes zero difference if you think Lance is good, that's completely irrelevant.  What you need to understand is they think he's good so they are going to support him as best they can to succeed.  Premier skill talent around him helps that's indisputable. 

Taking a year or two to develop your mechanics, develop a full understanding of the offense and concepts, and practicing those concepts is very useful and applicable to development. In fact, for some QBs its more helpful because they don't get their head bashed in while trying to learn (see David Carr). Aaron Rogers spent 4 years on the bench then came in and dominated.

You realize they can still improve their line and resign those guys right? This doesn't stop them. They have over $51 million in cap space next year before they do a couple easy restructures/extensions. 

They have 51M in cap space before they do anything?  Link?

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's irrelevant about what you think of Lance chance to succeed. What's important is the 49ers perspective they do believe in him and they are doing everything possible to support him and give him the best weapons, which they are doing. 

Aaron Rodgers sat the bench for 4 years.  Who else did?  

His daddy had RB success and Super Bowls with 6th rd picks and undrafted FA’s.   Yet Kyle seems to think he needs to use several high picks and spend way over the league average in order to achieve what his dad did with nothing.  His dad is one of the men that trivialized the position.  

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

he's oddly enough correct

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/2023/

image.png.a5b4f9685b0667f9e2ae7fb29e2211e1.png

Edit: Also FWIW we are ($7million) - yes that is over the projected cap

Thanks- I hadn’t seen that.  I guess it makes more sense-  50 million rollover…..wtf, how does that even happen?

that will allow them to sign 3-5 of their 10 free agent starters.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s only played in 16 games the last 3 years if that’s not injury prone I don’t know what is 

Come on, you know that is a false way to say that...you are including this year as the "3 years".  He was NOT injured for 3 years.  He played 10 games in 2 seasons, and then this year he has been 100%.  There is no reason to skew information to make it seem worse than it is.  CMC had no injury history in HS, College, or the NFL outside those 2 years.  That does not make him injury prone, none of those injuries were career threatening.  

Fred Taylor, Frank Gore, Matthew Stafford, etc etc...all labeled injury prone because of injuries in consecutive seasons just to go on and put it behind them and never be an issue again.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Ya…if that’s so…the niners are wrong about Lance…he is going nowhere… JA is the ultimate outlier

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Aaron Rodgers sat the bench for 4 years.  Who else did?  

His daddy had RB success and Super Bowls with 6th rd picks and undrafted FA’s.   Yet Kyle seems to think he needs to use several high picks and spend way over the league average in order to achieve what his dad did with nothing.  His dad is one of the men that trivialized the position.  

And how did daddy do with those scrubs? He made some decent fantasy football pickups for us but won nothing with Tatum Bell, Shaun Droughns, Mike Anderson,  etc... the only time he won anything was with Terrell Davis who was an absolute monster that posted back to back 2k yards from scrimmage. 

I'm not advocating for high investments in RBs, I'm really not.  I think contracts like the one the Packers have Aaron Jones are stupid... however... there are a few select elite talents that are worth it every so often and with what CMC brings as both a runner and receiver is an immense help for a young QB. Easy screens, check downs, and designed 5 yard dumps that keep the chains moving and create explosive plays? Now you are simplifying the game for your QB and keeping the defense honest.

Tom Brady played only part time in college and sat for a year+ before he got the call.  Steve Young was buried for years. It's extremely common for QBs to sit for 1 year too... but all of that is irrelevant my or your opinion of Lance is meaningless, what matters is the 49ers doing the best they can to support what they consider a good QB.

The only outstanding issue with CMC is he is made of paper machete. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.