Concussion Bowl?

The Red King

Tomlin said Pickett will start Sunday night if he passes concussion protocols, and it looks like Tua returns Sunday as well.  If that all works out, you will have two QB just cleared to play after being concussed meeting this weekend.  How do people feel about this?  I mean it as an honest question.  Do you think either or both are returning too soon?  I didn't see how bad Pickett's injury was, but I still worry for Tua's health.  Are we going to see him blasted out of play on prime time again?

Edited by The Red King

I'm fine with them playing Sunday. Risks come with any job. Their compensation is commensurate with their risks. They are adults and should be able to be their own voice if they are not ready to return or have concerns about repeated head injuries. Other players have chosen to retire to protect their mind. Others have not. If they are ready and want to play only the doctors that they are relying on for clearance can be the ones to say they can't play.  

It's interesting that fans of football and the sports media that love to watch and cover MMA/Boxing/Hockey somehow overlook head injuries in those sports. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

IMO, it is irresponsible for Tua to be playing already.  He suffers another concussion so quickly after that last horrific scene it will have a damning effect on the entire sport.  If the NFLPA or Goddell  or that functional idiot McDaniel really cared about player safety they would let him sit for a few more weeks.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

IMO, it is irresponsible for Tua to be playing already.  He suffers another concussion so quickly after that last horrific scene it will have a damning effect on the entire sport.  If the NFPA or Goddell  or that functional idiot McDaniel really cared about player safety they would let him sit or a few more weeks.

Bah screw. Let them sink their own ship. This is all on the Phins and that idiot HC. Oh, and Tua for not just retiring which he should be doing 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, rusty shackleford said:

At least Tua stands a chance of not getting a 3rd with T.J. Watt still out.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Tua goes into protocol again this year. 

Also, I am not confident NFL doctors are real doctors....or even real humans. Like with Jordan Poyers chest/lung. Most of our doctors wouldn't let us play bar league hockey let alone NFL football.

Just now, mrags said:

Bah screw. Let them sink their own ship. This is all on the Phins and that idiot HC. Oh, and Tua for not just retiring which he should be doing 

This is my take on most things. Guys want to play through some Schitt's Creek and start walking with a walker at 45 years old? By all means, what do I care. 

But you don't mess with your brain, and most of the time athletes need protecting from themselves. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Tua can retire from football today, he has enough name recognition, is smart and articulate, he should go into broadcasting right now.  If Tua was my brother or son that is what I would tell him to do.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that Tua goes into protocol again this year. 

Also, I am not confident NFL doctors are real doctors....or even real humans. Like with Jordan Poyers chest/lung. Most of our doctors wouldn't let us play bar league hockey let alone NFL football.

I get that feeling too. If not another concussion, he'll get injured somehow. He just doesn't seem to have the awareness to see hits coming and doesn't have the body that can take them.

I thought the Poyer situation was strange too. I understand the air pressure changes and how that can be a risk to his condition, but wouldn't another player slamming into his chest be a similar risk.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Tua can retire from football today, he has enough name recognition, is smart and articulate, he should go into broadcasting right now.  If Tua was my brother or son that is what I would tell him to do.

Just an observation but I don't think anyone's saying that if he's out there killing it. If you're going to kill your brain I can atleast comprehend the Brett Farves out there unable to hang it up. Doing that for a ceiling of a Trent Edward's career seems like more of a waste.

Dudes really young though, and I don't think you make it thos far without having some "but that can't happen to me" mentality. He's 24, it's what I would've done at that age, drunk on testosterone.

I dont have a point here just observations 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is my take on most things. Guys want to play through some Schitt's Creek and start walking with a walker at 45 years old? By all means, what do I care. 

But you don't mess with your brain, and most of the time athletes need protecting from themselves. 

He’s an adult and can make his own decisions. He’s made millions and if he cared for his health he’ll do what he feels is right. My guess is he’ll continue to play. And I’m not saying he will have another concussion, but he will likely get many more injuries because he has the awareness of a blond cat. 

9 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

I get that feeling too. If not another concussion, he'll get injured somehow. He just doesn't seem to have the awareness to see hits coming and doesn't have the body that can take them.

I thought the Poyer situation was strange too. I understand the air pressure changes and how that can be a risk to his condition, but wouldn't another player slamming into his chest be a similar risk.

This 

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

Apparently, the Dolphins will keep trying to sink their won ship.

" The Dolphins lost 24-16 to the Dolphins on Sunday, but instead of getting into the particulars of that, I would like to know why Miami left tackle Greg Little was allowed to stay in the game for the entire game -- he tied for the lead by participating in all 78 of Miami's offensive snaps -- despite the fact that he clearly showed the effects of head trauma after he was inadvertently kicked in the head by Minnesota linebacker Eric Kendricks. "

I admit I dont like the Dolphins and I want to see McDaniels fail.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Apparently, the Dolphins will keep trying to sink their won ship.

" The Dolphins lost 24-16 to the Dolphins on Sunday, but instead of getting into the particulars of that, I would like to know why Miami left tackle Greg Little was allowed to stay in the game for the entire game -- he tied for the lead by participating in all 78 of Miami's offensive snaps -- despite the fact that he clearly showed the effects of head trauma after he was inadvertently kicked in the head by Minnesota linebacker Eric Kendricks. "

I admit I dont like the Dolphins and I want to see McDaniels fail.

We’re probably better off if he does just well enough to keep Job and continue to sink his team for as long as possible 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I honestly could care less.  If they are cleared to play, they are cleared to play.  Who cares otherwise?  

Not me. 

On a certain level it is a, he knows the risks and is making the decision, on another level he's a young guy and could have a lot of life that could be much worse for him the way things are going.

It's a tough situation either way, the length he was out after two close concussions makes this seem like a bad idea.

Miami is all-in on Tua, but they're playing a dangerous game with their future.  They already paid hard for their last risk.  My only fear is that the NFL will tell the refs to keep him safe (for public image), and he starts getting the Brady treatment.

This just seems way too soon.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.