Diggs could challenge Calvin Johnson's receiving record if he keeps up this pace

Big Turk

Diggs should shatter his own personal records he set in his first year as a Bill...currently on pace for:

138 receptions

1858 yards

17 TDs

That would put him under 100 yards away from Calvin Johnson's 1964 receiving yards record that Kupp nearly broke last year.

Really just an unbelievable start to the year by the Bills and Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs in particular.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was shocked when I saw Diggs' stat line. That had to be the quietest 10 catches 148 yards and 1 TD. Smooth as silk. My son asked me if Diggs is a top 3 in WR un the NFL. My response was I'm not sure. But I'd say the QB and WR duo of Allen/Diggs is in the top 3 for sure. Yesterday was euphoric. 

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Even crazier is that Tyreek Hill IS on pace to break Kupp's record with 1986 receiving yards...he currently is ahead of Diggs who is in second place with 701 yards.

That's with sub par quarterbacks too. Hill has exceeded my expectations. I thought it was Mahomes that made Hill. Seems like they both complemented each other nicely. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Calvin Johnson has the record with 1,964 receiving yards in a season - and he did it in 16 games!

Oh damn...I forgot that Kupp barely missed the record last year...he broke the yards from scrimmage by a WR record with 1965, I think that's what I was thinking of...edited the post/title. Thanks!

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

• Big Turk changed the title to Diggs could challenge Johnson's receiving record if he keeps up this pace
5 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

I do believe Diggs is better than Kupp. 

Not sure if you remember the late 80's and 90's but white WR's were basicaly in either 1 of 2 categories.  The speed guy who had average hands and that's all they could do(Beebe, Brad Lamb, etc) or the slow, sure handed possession receivers that were the security blankets on 3rd down, like Tom Waddle with the Bears.  You rarely even saw white WR's, they just weren't a thing back then and certainly nobody had them in a conversation as being one of the great WRs in the game.

I am not sure when that changed and white WR's became a thing again, but Wes Welker, Julian Edelman, Adam Thielen and Cooper Kupp have kind of ushered in a new era showing white kids that they can be a WR whereas they may have not even bothered and just played a different position growing up. 

Edited by Big Turk

5 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

I do believe Diggs is better than Kupp. 

Diggs is getting those free releases in the slot this year and unshockingly hes getting more production.  That he has produced so much while being almost exclusively on the outside the past two years is amazing.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Diggs should shatter his own personal records he set in his first year as a Bill...currently on pace for:

138 receptions

1858 yards

17 TDs

That would put him under 100 yards away from Calvin Johnson's 1964 receiving yards record that Kupp nearly broke last year.

Really just an unbelievable start to the year by the Bills and Josh Allen/Stefon Diggs in particular.

Until I opened the thread, I thought you were talking about Stevie Johnson.  I was very confused

• Big Turk changed the title to Diggs could challenge Calvin Johnson's receiving record if he keeps up this pace
1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Season records don't mean anything anymore with a bonus game for all players. You're going to see every season record broken over the next few years.

unlikely to see single season rushing record fall with the direction the game has moved over the last decade.

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Season records don't mean anything anymore with a bonus game for all players. You're going to see every season record broken over the next few years.

I can't say I disagree...I think to balance things out, the records should be based on per game averages to make things equal across all eras.

36 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Yeah but with the Bills sitting starters in blowouts,  Diggs will play less than 16 total game quarters. 

I get that but their not gonna put an asterisk in there stating hey it was 17 games but he played 15 games and 2 quarters. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I was shocked when I saw Diggs' stat line. That had to be the quietest 10 catches 148 yards and 1 TD. Smooth as silk. My son asked me if Diggs is a top 3 in WR un the NFL. My response was I'm not sure. But I'd say the QB and WR duo of Allen/Diggs is in the top 3 for sure. Yesterday was euphoric. 

That's with sub par quarterbacks too. Hill has exceeded my expectations. I thought it was Mahomes that made Hill. Seems like they both complemented each other nicely. 

I also hadnt realized Diggs had that many yards yesterday until someone posted it.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.