Christian McCaffrey rumors

Steel City Mafia

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There are a multitude of reasons for that though...and McCaffrey and Ekeler are making big contributions as a receiver and arguably the most effective parts of both offenses right now.

But...this discussion is getting a bit sidetracked.  I am not in any way advocating for a run first team, emphasize the run game, etc.  I am one of Devin's biggest defenders.  I am just saying, adding an elite RB who is also an elite receiver to this offense is certainly an upgrade, even though I really like Devin and just think he needs to be given more carries.  

But I was correcting the poster who claimed in the last 25 years no team wins in the playoffs with a run game led offense, and it wasn't true.  It's totally irrelevant to the Bills, we are a dominant passing team and will remain that way no matter who is running the ball, as it should be when you have the best QB in the league.

Good thing McCaffrey is the best catching RB ever... he should be catching the ball >>>60% of the time to keep D's honest.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

i think a legit meltdown would really hit the spot right now.  

If there is anybody I would go out on my "sword" for it would be you teef:wub:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

It won't cost $12 million per year though. What is a number that makes sense?

Singletary will probably costs around $4 mil/yr.  There are a bunch of FA RBs next year but the going rate for average RBs is about $4 mil.  Moss and Cook are not options as starters.  So you are already looking at spending a day 2 (or day 1) draft pick on a RB and/or spending significant cash on a player.  They absolutely cannot go into next year with Moss, Cook, and 2 JAGs.

So bare minimum you are looking at spending $4-6 million on the RB position next year in FA or re-signing Singletary and at least another 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Moss is gone.  Cook is an unknown.  Any of the cheap options out there are going to be ??s.  For a team in a Super Bowl window, you cannot afford to have a such a low-floor at any position that could sink the season.  

CMC is on a non-GTD contract.  And he's 26.  They can easily re-structure this deal to put him in favorable cap situation. With zero GTD money they can essentially just sign him to a brand new backloaded deal.  Even if they give him something at the top of the RB market, those first 2-3 years are going to be cap numbers in the 4s, 5s, 6s.

So would you spend 6 mil and 2nd round pick on an proven All-Pro RB who is an x-factor in the pass game? Or would you rather spend those same assets on Singletary and an unknown rookie? I think when I finally broke it down like this - my choice was a lot clearer.

I dont know what miracle contract you worked up in your head here but they arent going to get CMC on some 6mil per year deal. He is going to want market value.  You might get his often injured self on a cap hit of 6mil for one year with a lot of dead money and bigger cap hits for the length of it but he isnt going to play on a team for 6 mil a year when he already has a contract for 12mil for the next 3 seasons and if cut he will get a better contract in the open market.  By this point he will be almost 30 which is not a good age for a RB. Which is why you dont back load the contract kicking all that dead cap down the road. Thats a waste of draft capital.

No the Bills dont need to draft a running back 1st or 2nd.  There are many many other options.  The Bills do not need nor can afford an elite running back salary.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Couple points of disagreement and some agreement here:

- the Panthers line sucks. They have one good player on it. One.

- CMC is the whole offense in Carolina and defenses are keying on him and only him; contrast that with what defenses have to deal with against Buffalo. There’s no comparison. 
- If you don’t think that CMC would compliment this offense in ways we don’t have now, then I don’t know what to say. Maybe watch him play.
- I’ve also been steadfastly against giving away big compensation for him so we agree there, if for different reasons. Mine are injury risk and the apparent high cost of acquiring him. You said that you don’t think he’d be a significant upgrade over Singletary. I think that’s ridiculous. So I’m in the “Yes, if the price is right” camp, not your “he wouldn’t help us” camp. 

"Panthers line sucks" -

Team run block win rate

1. Baltimore Ravens, 75%
2. Denver Broncos, 75%
3. Las Vegas Raiders, 75%
4. Kansas City Chiefs, 74%
5. Philadelphia Eagles, 74%
6. Arizona Cardinals, 74%
7. Minnesota Vikings, 73%
8. New Orleans Saints, 72%
9. Dallas Cowboys, 72%
10. Tennessee Titans, 72%
11. New York Jets, 72%
12. Cincinnati Bengals, 72%
13. Carolina Panthers, 72%

Thats tied for 8th place and 3% off first.  The Bills line is 27th.

"Defenses are keying on him and him only" - Defenses dont key on one player and one player only.  They still have to defend the field.

"If you dont think that CMC would compliment this offense..." - I never said that.  I said what he would cost is not worth the difference he would make.  People have blinders on wanting to trade for this guy with visions of him catching all these passes and him taking off for 20 yards after the catch all the time.  Its not going to happen.  He isnt going to take away catches from Diggs and Davis for one and for two he really isnt going to get much more yards than Singletary.  RB's are dump off pass options mostly.  Singletary is only getting 0.8 yards less per catch than CMC is and no its not because defenses are keying on CMC.

As for your last bit - why dont you tell me what you think a significant upgrade is.  As I explained earlier, CMC behind a way better run blocking line is getting 0.1 ypa more than Motor is.  As a pass catcher used in the same way Motor is, CMC is getting 0.8 ypc more than Motor.  Obviously CMC is an upgrade.  I just dont think one that is significant enough to throw away high value picks on a rental.  Paying his salary regardless of restructure is going to mean losing one of Davis, Oliver, Poyer, Edwards.  Two of those are probably already not getting re-signed. Im not losing someone like Davis for instance to keep CMC.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BananaB said:

CMC would be another player defences have to game plan for. I’m not sure they do much of it for Singletary. He’s Ok player but he’s not a game breaker, defences are probably pretty happy him getting a  lot of touches while facing our offense. CMC would completely change the way defences focus on our backfield. 

Still have to be able to run block for him or it wont matter.  Panthers have a way better run blocking line.

The running game was underwhelming last year, but going heavy there strikes me as odd.  

For that reason, a 3rd dependable outside receiver is a better value for this offense than another RB.  It definitely forces defenses to adjust much more, hedges against an injury to one of their outside guys, and pushes some lesser WRs down the depth chart.  And, even though they've done some stuff from under center, I'm not sure  if it's done to set up PA that McCaffrey as a threat is more imposing than Singletary at this point in their careers.  

6 games in, things are clicking in many respects, but teams are adapting.  The passing game, given decent protection, is where the value lies offensively.  

13 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Has there really been any real discussion about his coming here? Seems like we are mentioned but nit really a front runner for this deaL?

Albright stated we were "primary suitor" other reports by Athletic and ESPN say we are interested and "slow playing" it 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

19 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Has there really been any real discussion about his coming here? Seems like we are mentioned but nit really a front runner for this deaL?

Just media dropping hype probably because Beane did his due dilligence and made a phone call inquiring about a price.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just media dropping hype probably because Beane did his due dilligence and made a phone call inquiring about a price.

And Beane is waiting on CMC to be outright cut. 2 first round picks for a 26 year old RB is never going to happen. I would have rather traded our 2023 1st round pick to move up to the late 1st round early 2nd to draft Breece Hall. 

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

And Beane is waiting on CMC to be outright cut. 2 first round picks for a 26 year old RB is never going to happen. I would have rather traded our 2023 1st round pick to move up to the late 1st round early 2nd to draft Breece Hall. 

Agree on those picks never going to happen.  I dont think the Panthers will cut him though.  There is no reason for them to do so.  They can use him as a good piece during a rebuild or they can get some "reasonable" compensation to help rebuild.

Edited by Scott7975

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

No one thinks we should give up 2 1st and it’s also been posted that Carolina would likely do it for less. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.