Hot take: Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward

Logic

On 10/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Logic said:

I know, I know -- it's early, and you'll say I'm jumping the gun.

I don't care. I've seen enough: Khalil Shakir should be the starting slot receiver going forward, even when McKenzie and Crowder return to full health.

At the very least, he should be splitting reps with McKenzie and seeing more playing time than Jamison Crowder.

He runs great routes. He constantly seems to get open. He has relatively sure hands (one bad concentration drop yesterday not withstanding). He offers run-after-catch ability that this offense often lacks. He has the frame and build to withstand the tough over-the-middle work. 

Aside from all of that, he just passes the eyeball test in a way that the Bills' other two slot options do not. Frankly, he looks like a star in the making.

I love McKenzie as a player and am glad he's on the roster, but has he looked like a dynamic full time slot option to anyone over the first four games? He hasn't looked that way to me. I like Crowder, too. He's a solid, dependable veteran depth option. Again, though: he doesn't seem to pop off the screen the way Shakir was.

I have figured all along that Shakir would be brought along slowly, that he'd be more of a contender for starting duties in 2023 or 2024. Given McDermott's M.O., that still may happen. I don't think it should, though. I've seen enough. He's the best option to start in the slot. The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

IMO, the plan was for Shakir to play more, but he whiffed bad on a block against the Rams (I think...or Titans) that got Josh blasted and hadn't played much since. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

44 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Are we assuming that OBJ will be cheaper than Davis???

Not at all.  I was pointing out that Davis is under contract next year.  So he's cheaper than OBJ next year but after that he'll be expensive along with OBJ.  I think the prudent move is to draft a WR next draft.  Preferably high in the draft - 1st or 2nd round.

Edited by DCbillsfan

On 10/10/2022 at 10:36 AM, Logic said:

I know, I know -- it's early, and you'll say I'm jumping the gun.

I don't care. I've seen enough: 

he just passes the eyeball test 

The coaches always preach getting the best players on the field, regardless of tenure or pedigree. If they're true to their word, Shakir should start seeing more opportunities. I hope he does.

Yes, you're jumping the gun.  The coaches are doing a great job developing Shakir, everyone here should hope it continues.  To me, it looks like both Shakir and Cook have playmaking ability that if developed properly, can be a great asset to this team in the future.

Your last paragraph is annoying though.  You conclude because of what you've seen that if the coaches don't play him to your satisfaction (some ambiguous yet to be determined standard) then the coaches aren't true to their word.  What about practice?  What about knowing the playbook and responsibilities?  How quickly we forget the coaches put in a 6th rounder before the 1st rounder.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Puts McKenzie back as a gadget guy, which actually was pretty successful 

finally wading in here and this is what i've been thinking all along.

McKenzie is the best guy to keep in the stable until you need to take him out. Put him in the game when you want to do something special, or fun. We used to put McKenzie in the backfield, too. We haven't in a while but there is no reason we couldn't.

With Gilliam and the TE from BGSU we have some pretty hardnosed guys that can lead some blocks for some nice screens. Would be nice having Tommy Doyle in there for them.

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I think he's definitely earned himself some playing time even when McKenzie returns. But I don't think you phase out McKenzie for him right now. McKenzie is talented in his own right and has a role on offense. 

He can play ahead of Crowder, tho. 

Since Crowder is on IR with a reported broken ankle, you can bet he'll play ahead of Crowder.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure the he is an outside player guys will ever see any evidence as enough. Everything the Bills have done and his performances tell the story. Can he take snaps outside? Sure. The same way Beas could. Do you want him doing that? Not really. Way more effective in the slot.

That’s an exaggeration.  He can do it better than Beas.  He has a greater catch radius and has a knack high pointing the ball on contested catches.  He’s a much better outside guy than Beasley.  If you said that you don’t think he’s capable of reaching his ceiling on the outside.  That I would agree with.  But his tool box playing on the outside is much more stocked up than Beasley’s.   

On 10/10/2022 at 9:43 AM, Dave_Bills said:

Agreed. I think the staff believed hands were the only question holding him back (along with experience). I think Josh trusts him and he’s believing in himself. He makes the offense more dynamic. I’m sold 

1) blocking.  had some good blocks, had some total whiffs.  needs to show consistency.

2) can he dissect and find gaps underneath in zone D (note this was Crowder's gig and Isaiah McK hasn't proven much of this either)

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

finally wading in here and this is what i've been thinking all along.

McKenzie is the best guy to keep in the stable until you need to take him out. Put him in the game when you want to do something special, or fun. We used to put McKenzie in the backfield, too. We haven't in a while but there is no reason we couldn't.

With Gilliam and the TE from BGSU we have some pretty hardnosed guys that can lead some blocks for some nice screens. Would be nice having Tommy Doyle in there for them.

The problem with your 2nd para is that after a while in 2019, teams would see McK on the field and go "Jet Sweep!  Gadget!" and sniff that out.

So then they started running McK on the occasional slant, but that had a tell pretty quickly.

McK needs to see some snaps as a regular WR to make the "special or fun" stuff successful.

They put McK in the backfield at the end of last season.  Had a rush play in each of the last 4 games 21 reg season and 3 attempts each in the playoffs.  So far this season just 1 attempt v. Mia.  (I looked that up)

3 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

He's got a receiver 1 on 1 with a Linebacker. What's wild about it?

Speaking solely for myself, the wild factor:

-he's got two DB in the area at the catch point, one able to make a play on the catch and both able to potentially pick any deflection by the rook

-Diggs appears to be more open

image.thumb.png.ceb4c558bcad8c06542d8d1eced539d2.png

Matt Waldman calls this a "trust throw", would you disagree?

Edited by Beck Water

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The problem with your 2nd para is that after a while in 2019, teams would see McK on the field and go "Jet Sweep!  Gadget!" and sniff that out.

So then they started running McK on the occasional slant, but that had a tell pretty quickly.

McK needs to see some snaps as a regular WR to make the "special or fun" stuff successful.

They put McK in the backfield at the end of last season.  Had a rush play in each of the last 4 games 21 reg season and 3 attempts each in the playoffs.  So far this season just 1 attempt v. Mia.  (I looked that up)

McKenzie, especially for his size, has also been very good at blocking, and pass pro.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.