Orlovsky: Bills have become one of best screen teams

Steel City Mafia

Have they?  I dunno, they have a few ones that work but more often I see ones that Allen has to throw into the dirt.  

That WR to Singletary on the final drive was pretty nice tho I have to admit.  

I miss the "Gold Rip" audibles Allen used to call that would be the WR Screen to Brown that usually went for big gains or TD's tho...

Maybe Stevenson gives us that dimension back again?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Have they?  I dunno, they have a few ones that work but more often I see ones that Allen has to throw into the dirt.  

That WR to Singletary on the final drive was pretty nice tho I have to admit.  

I miss the "Gold Rip" audibles Allen used to call that would be the WR Screen to Brown that usually went for big gains or TD's tho...

Maybe Stevenson gives us that dimension back again?

I question it as well. Seems like when he fires it out there it's pretty good, but when Josh tries to lay it out there or tries a touch pass, not so good. 🤔

It really worked well for us, as Dan said. This one and the Shakir one were huge to take the load off of Allen and get chunk yards in the absence of a true run game.

If we can utilize this against blitzing teams to get them out of Cover 2 itll be great.

6 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I question it as well. Seems like when he fires it out there it's pretty good, but when Josh tries to lay it out there or tries a touch pass, not so good. 🤔

The best screen game I have ever seen happened when we had Chan Gailey here...it was a work of art to watch them run screens.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

6 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Well, all Orlovsky does is study game tape of all 32 NFL teams for a living and has a background as an NFL QB...but you're right, he's probably full of s-h-i-t and your armchair observations are more spot on.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, eball said:

Well, all Orlovsky does is study game tape of all 32 NFL teams for a living and has a background as an NFL QB...but you're right, he's probably full of s-h-i-t and your armchair observations are more spot on.

When was the last regular RB screen that actually went for more than 5 yards?

REALLY!!!!!  Not unless we are redefining the screen play.

If throwing a quick out to the boundary is included.  Okay.

But if the traditional sweep of a QB dropping deep to suck in the DT/DLs while guards and linemen are setting up, then NO.  HELL NO.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Ravens game, I believe 3rd quarter, to Singletary that went for about 12 yards.

Edit: The 2nd play of the 3rd quarter TD drive, went for 14 yards.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would have guessed we have the worst screen game going.  Did we throw a screen against Miami?  A draw?  It's all hindsight but a screen on the last drive against Miami could have ended up with us kicking a game winning field goal.  The Singletary play against the Ravens was a good call, incredibly well executed but hardly a classic screen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

All screens are not created equal.  It sounds like you want to see the old school, let the blitzers come free and then float a pass to the RB outside who has four blockers in front of him.  That's not what Buffalo is doing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That is pretty funny, because that used to be one of our biggest weaknesses. I have heard some analysts saying that the short pass and screen game has basically replaced are running game. I tend to agree for the most part.

This is true for most teams right now in the NFL, and you really see it at the college level. The perimeter run game has been largely replace by fast screens, bubbles, and tunnel screens. From a defensive perspective these plays are no different than playing the run - run fits have to be on point. Add RPOs to the equation and now you get the best of both worlds - depending on how the defense reacts you can end up with something hitting inside or outside.

Edited by HoofHearted
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

All screens are not created equal.  It sounds like you want to see the old school, let the blitzers come free and then float a pass to the RB outside who has four blockers in front of him.  That's not what Buffalo is doing.

Even then - we actually have run a couple of those this year

12 minutes ago, jletha said:

It really worked well for us, as Dan said. This one and the Shakir one were huge to take the load off of Allen and get chunk yards in the absence of a true run game.

If we can utilize this against blitzing teams to get them out of Cover 2 itll be great.

If you're blitzing you're not running cover 2 behind it. Most you can send is 5.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

We had a better WR screen game when John Brown was here...multiple long plays and/or TDs from the "Gold Rip" audible with him.  I would bet that is going to be Stevenson's role if he is activated to the roster from PUP as he brings a speed element they lack right now.

Again...the best screen game I have ever seen belonged to Chan Gailey and that was for all types...traditional screens, middle screens, WR screens....dude was a master at them.  It was a joy to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That is pretty funny, because that used to be one of our biggest weaknesses. I have heard some analysts saying that the short pass and screen game has basically replaced are running game. I tend to agree for the most part.

It has replaced our run game. Dorsey has identified the OL sucks at run blocking so this is the only reasonable outlet to keep pressure off Josh.  I can live with it temporarily but we still have to fix the original problem. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.