Tremaine Must Remain

MarlinTheMagician

Just now, Big Turk said:

Gives you a pretty great view of him pattern matching receivers over the middle of the field and taking them out of the QB's progression.

So doing what a MLB in a Cover 2 should be doing? Cool.

Look, if he was a rookie/2nd year player doing this and didn't have a lengthy body of work as a liability, maybe I'd be excited. However, he's  one of the highest paid linebackers in the league and still isn't playing up to the level we need him to be. I'll be thrilled to watch him go chase his potential elsewhere.

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

The fact that continue to edit your posts makes me think you have some reservations about what you're saying.  Tremaine is nothing more than a concrete sculpture in a lavish Italian garden...the landscaper has to mow around it, but once you address that obstacle, the rest is easy. He fills a gap. Great. I want something more from a MLB.

Or perhaps I am correcting grammatical errors and misspellings.  One of my biggest pet peeves.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The folk that constantly harp on and on about Edmunds are to be ignored on a regular basis, I mean Hell, our golden boy QB has fumbled far to often every season, our best WRs have dropped TD passes, critiquing them? Sure, whining endlessly? That’s for children…, 

As stated up thread, I’ll be good with Beane’s direction on his future here with the Bills. 

Go Bills!!!

What a weird comparison to try and make. Our golden boy QB is literally one of the best players in the league who consistently makes elite, game changing plays. You live with the occasional mistake because you know he’s going to be great the vast majority of the time. 

Edmunds is just there and isn’t anywhere close to having that kind of impact.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Look, if he was a rookie/2nd year player doing this and didn't have a lengthy body of work as a liability, maybe I'd be excited. However, he's  one of the highest paid linebackers in the league and still isn't playing up to the level we need him to be. I'll be thrilled to watch him go chase his potential elsewhere.

It would be like saying the highest selling car salesman is "doing his job". Well so are the dudes that sell 3 cars a month instead of 20.  Some just do it a lot better than others.  That's an absurd statement to make.

I think the Bills coaches would have a much different opinion in terms of what he is "supposed to be doing" versus you.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

What a weird comparison to try and make. Our golden boy QB is literally one of the best players in the league who consistently makes elite, game changing plays. You live the occasional mistake because you know he’s going to be great the vast majority of the time. 

Whoosh goes the air over your head…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Oh, he'll be chasing more than potential.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

It would be like saying the highest selling car salesman is "doing his job". Well so are the dudes that sell 3 cars a month instead of 20.  Some just do it a lot better than others.  That's an absurd statement to make.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. People are raving about the 4 best games of Edmunds career and he still isn't even the best LB on his own team. He's finally performing adequate, but he's now compensated to be performing like a superstar. Like I said, if he has that in him I'll be happy to see him reach it playing for the New York Bills, Raiders, Dolphins or whatever other team is going to blow top dollar on athleticism and potential.

If I'm paying a MLB top 5 money, I want them to dominate games. I don't think that's a ridiculous ask.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’d hate paying him top LB money. 

His comp would probably be Fred Werner who got $95mil. I’d vomit.

I think he’s reached his ceiling and I don’t care how old he is. I’d let him walk.

He's only 19 by the way.  Basically still a red shirt sophmore with 6 years of eligibility left...just sayin.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What a weird comparison to try and make. Our golden boy QB is literally one of the best players in the league who consistently makes elite, game changing plays. You live the occasional mistake because you know he’s going to be great the vast majority of the time. 

Well...not the same impact as Allen but he DOES have a big impact...again...it's the plays you don't see...namely the easy 5 yard passes over the middle teams are used to getting versus every other team.  They don't get those against us very often.  Edmunds is a huge part of the reason why.  When people breakdown the Bills coverage and say "They make you work hard and execute well for every yard you get, there are no easy completions against them", that's hat they mean. 

Many times Edmunds is taking away the "easy" completions the QB wants or the safety blankets they have over the middle.  You cannot talk about the Bills pass defense without acknowledging this. The safeties get huge props and rightly so, for forcing teams to throw short, but Edmunds doesn't get his just dues for making sure those short passes don't result in teams moving the ball down the field easily very often.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here. People are raving about the 4 best games of Edmunds career and he still isn't even the best LB on his own team. He's finally performing adequate, but he's now compensated to be performing like a superstar. Like I said, if he has that in him I'll be happy to see him reach it playing for the New York Bills, Raiders, Dolphins or whatever other team is going to blow top dollar on athleticism and potential.

If I'm paying a MLB top 5 money, I want them to dominate games. I don't think that's a ridiculous ask.

It is when the scheme isn't designed for an MLB to dominate games. This isn't the 1980's.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/linebacker/

He's a lofty top 70 in linebacker salary right now.  Just behind Tyler Matakevich.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think he WANTS to move on, I think he just can't afford to keep him.  The contract he is going to get will shock a lot of people, IMO.  Edmunds is a huge part of the reason our pass D has been #1 in the NFL for so long...he takes away a lot of the easy over the middle stuff teams get in other games and forces them to make much more difficult plays on balance.  His biggest value isn't what we see on plays he makes, it's the plays that never happen due to his athleticism, ability to drop deep and pattern match routes, even against WR's at times, and wingspan that allows him to get in a lot of passing lanes.

So in other words...just find a freakish guy with length and quickness and we'll be fine? Sounds replaceable 

I'll take the guy with instincts and play making ability every time over a Tremaine Edmunds type

FTR, I neither love or hate the guy. He's a middle of the road type player in my view. He has looked better this season FWIW

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He’s not highly paid at all (yet.) 

If he hasn’t impressed you, fine. What’s your alternative if he walks? 

It took some time, but Sean McDermott finally got the D-Line he needed to make this defense elite.

The addition of Von Miller and emergence of Greg Rousseau is forcing teams to focus extra blocking attention on passing plays.  And Daquon Jones is the 1-Tech DT that we were all hoping Star Lotulelei would be on a more consistent basis.  

This is allowing both Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano to wreck havoc.  And it's a beautiful thing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well...not the same impact as Allen but he DOES have a big impact...again...it's the plays you don't see...namely the easy 5 yard passes over the middle teams are used to getting versus every other team.  They don't get those against us very often.  Edmunds is a huge part of the reason why.  When people breakdown the Bills coverage and say "They make you work hard and execute well for every yard you get, there are no easy completions against them", that's hat they mean. 

Many times Edmunds is taking away the "easy" completions the QB wants or the safety blankets they have over the middle.  You cannot talk about the Bills pass defense without acknowledging this. The safeties get huge props and rightly so, for forcing teams to throw short, but Edmunds doesn't get his just dues for making sure those short passes don't result in teams moving the ball down the field easily very often.

It is when the scheme isn't designed for an MLB to dominate games. This isn't the 1980's.

Oh so it's the scheme's fault that he can't shed blocks, make impact tackles, or read plays? I didn't realize until now those were things that stopped in the 1980s.

He processes the game too slowly, has bad judgment, doesn't shed blocks and is a soft tackler. None of those things should be highly controversial after watching him do them for 4+ seasons and all of them are bad traits to have in player youw ant to build your defense around. All of his best traits are things he was born with: size, speed, length.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s not highly paid at all (yet.) 

If he hasn’t impressed you, fine. What’s your alternative if he walks? 

he has the #1 base salary in the league for an ILB, commands the 4th most cap and makes the 6th most total money overall.

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Most teams hate their MLB… I mentioned in a different thread.. 

Chicago hates Roquan smith and don’t want to pay him. 
Tampa fans were calling David washed up the other night and calling for devin white to only pass rush cause “he sucks in coverage” 

Pittsburgh hates devin bush 

Baltimore is sketchy on Patrick Queen. 
Isaiah Simmons has been getting roasted in Arizona. 
Shaq Leanord can’t even get on the field in Indy without getting hurt. 

Most of these examples just tell you how many fans are stuck in the 90s version of what a MLB is supposed to be doing.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’d hate paying him top LB money. 

His comp would probably be Fred Werner who got $95mil. I’d vomit.

I think he’s reached his ceiling and I don’t care how old he is. I’d let him walk.

I think he’s mostly a product of the system and coaching makes him looks semi-good. I think we could probably get equal play from a would-be cheaper option. Considering Hyde is going to be a big question mark going forward, I’d rather give the money to Poyer. He’s a game changer. I’ve never seen Edmunds as a game changer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, f0neguy said:

I think the Bills have to keep him.  If he were to leave, what would most of this board have to b***h about?

(kind of kidding)

Zach Moss. I think some of the O line are about to be trending on here as well. Crowder got hurt so he’s safe for awhile. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.