Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

This could be the perfect time for both parties to maximize their situations.

Lamar wants lots of $$ and there are rumors he wants out.

Ravens have a guy who is a huge name in the league who wants a huge, fully guaranteed contract they don't want to give.

IMO, Jackson has reached his ceiling, and his style of play has started to result in injuries later in the season. September and October Lamar are amazing, but then it gets to December and he's banged up and much less effective due to all the punishment. 

Ravens should look to trade him for another QB who can win with that team.

Lamar for Tua, a 1st, and a 2nd?

Tue is extremely accurate, is used to the cold (it snows in Alabama), and can hand off to the Ravens RBs and make occasional throws to guys who are schemed open. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This could be the perfect time for both parties to maximize their situations.

Lamar wants lots of $$ and there are rumors he wants out.

Ravens have a guy who is a huge name in the league who wants a huge, fully guaranteed contract they don't want to give.

IMO, Jackson has reached his ceiling, and his style of play has started to result in injuries later in the season. September and October Lamar are amazing, but then it gets to December and he's banged up and much less effective due to all the punishment. 

Ravens should look to trade him for another QB who can win with that team.

Lamar for Tua, a 1st, and a 2nd?

Tue is extremely accurate, is used to the cold (it snows in Alabama), and can hand off to the Ravens RBs and make occasional throws to guys who are schemed open. 

Miami doesnt have a 1st nor the cap space that Lamar wants to have.

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

i don't think anyone would argue that an elite QB can make any WR look better than an average QB can.  

As for Brown, with a rookie Jackson, he was the team leader in yards, YPC, YPG and TDs---mainly because he was about the only option other than Crabtree.  In Buffalo, it was either Brown of Beasley.  When that's all you got, guys like Brown by default will put up numbers. When  teamed with better receivers, Brown goes back to where he is. 

Take away Diggs and replace him with Demarcus Robinson....see what ensues.

A good example of putting numbers up by default is when we had Robert Foster in Josh's rookie year putting up decent numbers.  Whenever I see someone who says that Josh sucked as a rookie, I point out how even as a rookie Josh was making his WRs look better.  That's one of the reasons I was sold on Josh long before the people wedded to stats were.  Even when he was completing passes in the 50% range (with bad WRs & bad O-Line), the talent was visually there. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Question - and I honestly have no idea - when fully healthy do the Jets have a Roman-esque OL, which is basically large athletic, physical bruisers?  I had the impression they were more skill/athletic types.

I think the upgrade thing goes right back to the question some pundits asked when Roman was coaching the Bills offense with Tyrod Taylor: is the design of the passing game, and the coaching/execution of it good enough to win?  No one doubts Roman's abilities to craft a kick-ass freight train of a run game.  But I think there are legit questions about the design of his passing game as well as questions about the quality of the QB as a passer and the quality of the receivers.

On the first point the Jets oline needs upgrades still whoever the coordinator is. But if they can ever get Becton healthy (that might be forlorn hope at this point) he is exactly the type of left tackle Roman wants and AVT is just really good and versatile enough to play in any scheme. 

On the second, Greg Roman is never going to be the best designer of a passing game in football but he is the best run game coordinator bar none. And overall he is a top 10 OC in the league. The Jets are a team who have a very good young back, some receivers - like Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore - who can eat in play action looks with their short area quickness to attack zones behind linebackers and who (in almost any scenario) are going to starting a QB who they don't want to put the whole game on. He would be a huge upgrade on LaFleur. I wouldn't hire Greg Roman if I had an elite passer, but if I didn't he'd be right up there as my 1st or 2nd choice OC. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I don't have a link, but I read somewhere that Lamar said he's cool playing on the franchise tender. Non-exclusive tender should be around $34 million next year and exclusive would be around around $45 million. 

From CBS Sports.com:

URL: https://new.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bold-predictions-for-super-wild-card-weekend-jerry-jones-finds-new-cowboys-coach-after-losing-to-tom-brady/ 

Lamar Jackson, QB, Ravens

Jackson's great start to the season made him September's AFC Offensive Player of the Month. He had faded from the NFL MVP conversation before suffering a sprained PCL in his left knee during a Week 13 game against the Broncos. The injury is expected to keep Jackson out of action until Week's 16 contest versus the Falcons on Christmas Eve.

Jackson, who represents himself, reportedly turned down a five-year offer worth $250 million with $133 million fully guaranteed before cutting off negotiations shortly before the regular season started because he wants a fully guaranteed contract. The offer had the second highest average yearly salary and money fully guaranteed ever in an NFL contract. The fully guaranteed, five-year, $230 million contract the Browns gave quarterback Deshaun Watson in connection with his trade from the Browns to the Texans in March that Jackson views as a benchmark is an outlier.

Negotiations are expected to resume in January after the regular season ends. Jackson is destined to start playing the franchise tag game if both parties remain firmly entrenched in their positions on a fully guaranteed contract. 

The exclusive franchise designation will be most likely. Four of the last five times quarterbacks have been designated as franchise players the exclusive tag has been used. 

The 2023 exclusive quarterback franchise tag currently projects to $45.248 million. This number is subject to change depending on new quarterback deals, contract restructures, pay cuts and/or releases between now and then.

If that's true, then the decision is easy.  Franchise him with the non-exclusive tag and let him shop for a deal. 

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

If that's true, then the decision is easy.  Franchise him with the non-exclusive tag and let him shop for a deal. 

Nobody is going to fully guarantee his 250MM. A running QB who appears to be slow to heal, has missed 30% of his teams games the last two years through injury just when the going gets tough and who has had disappointing playoff performances. Would be a real hoot to see Lamar, self styled agent, sitting by himself at the negotiating table. 

Just now, starrymessenger said:

Nobody is going to fully guarantee his 250MM. A running QB who appears to be slow to heal, has missed 30% of his teams games the last two years through injury just when the going gets tough and who has had disappointing playoff performances. Would be a real hoot to see Lamar, self styled agent, sitting by himself at the negotiating table. 

I agree,  But it makes it far easier for the Ravens now.  He'll play under the franchise tag.  He may look to shop himself and find no one willing to give him what he wants.  So he goes back, hat in hand, to the Ravens.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I agree,  But it makes it far easier for the Ravens now.  He'll play under the franchise tag.  He may look to shop himself and find no one willing to give him what he wants.  So he goes back, hat in hand, to the Ravens.

Yeah, and maybe they cut a deal on the guaranteed part once he comes to his senses. I'm not even sure the Ravens would today agree to the 250/113 they previously offered though. 

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Woody Johnson said he's willing to pay "whatever" for missing piece

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree that he hasn’t had a great receiving corps. But really: Greg Roman ran the optimal offense for Lamar. Roman turned a severely limited Tyrod Taylor into a starting QB on a playoff team (barely), also with minimal receiving talent. He helped turn the much more gifted but still raw at the time Lamar into an MVP. 

Lamar has no reason to complain about his coaching (and as far as I know, he isn’t complaining about it). The question with a Roman offense featuring a very athletic QB is not whether it will succeed. It will, and it has. The question is for how long and with what ceiling. And right now, the answers seem to be “not much longer” because his system wears down those QBs, and probably “the ceiling is divisional champ, one and done in the playoffs.” 

Lamar is more than a "running" QB. He threw for 4,000 yds twice in college with receivers who couldn't make a NFL roster. Get him an OC like Hurts have in Philadelphia and a bonafide WR

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

@Doc, do Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray have guarantees? Are they better than Lamar? As far as I'm concerned, Lamar has earned his money already. League MVP with weapons equivalent to what Justin Fields is working with currently. Lamar has had ONE bonafide weapon since he entered the league, Mark Andrews. Greg Roman as OC. The Ravens organization has failed this guy in every way. Pay the man

I hate to say it but if Lamar was in an offense that wasn't Roman's he'd not be as successful as he's been. Time will tell as talk is Roman is not going in to be Baltimore after this season and have a suspicion that Lamar will be under a 1 year franchise type deal. Similar to what the Redskins did to Cousins. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.