Ravens and Lamar do not reach contract agreement

Steel City Mafia

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Lamar is more than a "running" QB. He threw for 4,000 yds twice in college with receivers who couldn't make a NFL roster. Get him an OC like Hurts have in Philadelphia and a bonafide WR

when did Lamar pass for 4,000 yards? The most I see is 3660

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamar-jackson-1.html

9 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Geez... Potato, potatoe. I should've said nearly. Now reference his receivers and find one in the NFL

I agree that it's reasonable to conclude that Lamar's passing stats would be better if he had better receivers. I mean Josh Allen's stats would probably be better if he had Mahomes' and Burrow's weapons. In evaluating Lamar as a passer you have to ask not only whether he would benefit from having better WRs but also whether he has the ability to make the WRs better than they would otherwise be. I don't think he does. He can't do what Josh Allen do.

51 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Get him an OC like Hurts have in Philadelphia and a bonafide WR

I agree. I don’t want to box Lamar in as some kind of uber-Tyrod. My comment goes to the fact that as long as he’s under Greg Roman (a guy I really like) we’re not really sure how good he can be in a different offense, and that there’s kind of a Law of Roman Diminishing Returns. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Lamar's wideouts keep demanding trades.

who?...other than Marquise Brown---who saw his targets increase from 71 to 100 to 146 in 3 years in Baltimore.    And he gave that up to be traded to where?  Oh yeah.. the AZ Kyler Murrays!  how did that work out for him?  His targets per game went down. 1 game over 100 yards---and he only got a lot of those targets because Hopkins was out for half the season.  Once he came back, Brown was #2.  In Balt, he was far and away the #1 WR.  What a chump. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Whoa, strong words from Boo-boo Foot.  Watkins needs to pipe down IMHO.   STFU and try playing your ass off to get open for Huntley.

Watkins had his chance at a Superbowl in 2019 and 2020 with the Chiefs. 

I mean, sure, the Ravens are in the Playoffs so they have a chance at a Superbowl - but what makes Jackson so effective is his mobility. 

Ask RGIII if he regrets going out there for Washington on one leg and ruining his career.

• Like (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/12/lamar-jackson-my-knee-remains-inflamed-and-unstable/

Jackson has missed the last five games and head coach John Harbaugh offered no updates on his status Wednesday. He did say that he was OK with a player playing at less than 100 percent “if he’s healthy and safe and it’s not gonna do any damage to an injury.”

In a tweet on Thursday, Jackson said he’s not in that category as the team prepares to face the Bengals in the Wild Card round.

“Thank you everyone for your support and concerns regarding my injuries,” Jackson wrote. “I want to give you all an update as I am in the recovery process. I’ve suffered a PCL grade 2 sprain on the borderline of a strain 3. There is still inflammation surrounding my knee and my knee remains unstable. I’m still in good spirits, as I continue with treatments on the road to recovery. I wish I could be out there with my guys more than anything but I can’t give a 100% of myself to my guys and fans I’m still hopeful we still have a chance.”

I think it was Chris Simms (who does have some 'ins' with the players) who said earlier this week that he'd heard Jackson's knee was still swollen.

For anyone curious, definition of Grade 2 and Grade 3 sprain:

Grade 2 sprain

With a grade 2 sprain, your ligament is partially torn. The incomplete tear causes bruising (due to bleeding beneath the skin), swelling, and moderate pain. The joint remains fairly stable, but the affected area is tender to the touch. Joint function may be compromised slightly due to pain.

RICE is appropriate for a grade 2 sprain, too. Dr. Absi may also recommend immobilization of the injured joint with a splint or other device.

This moderate type of sprain usually takes about 4-6 weeks to heal, as long as you’re diligent in following the steps of rest and rehabilitation.

Grade 3 sprain

A grade 3 sprain is most serious. It means that the ligament is completely torn or ruptured.

You experience severe swelling and bruising. The joint probably isn’t functional because it’s too unstable, and movement creates intense pain. If you have a grade 3 sprain in the ankle, for example, walking usually isn’t possible.

Grade 3 sprains often require a brace or cast for at least a couple of weeks. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatories can help you control pain, but younger, athletic patients may benefit from surgery to restore full range of motion and function.

A grade 3 sprain can take three months (12 weeks) or longer to heal.

If you suspect you’ve suffered a sprain, get your joint checked out right away by an expert like Dr. Absi of Orthopaedics of Atlanta and Aesthetic Institute. The sooner you start proper care for your injury, the faster you recover and restore full function.

I defer to our resident Orthos here, but it seems to me that in a professional athlete, a Grade 3 sprain would 100% get surgery and a Grade 2 bordering on Grade 3 sprain would strongly recommend it for  optimal recovery

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

who?...other than Marquise Brown---who saw his targets increase from 71 to 100 to 146 in 3 years in Baltimore.    And he gave that up to be traded to where?  Oh yeah.. the AZ Kyler Murrays!  how did that work out for him?  His targets per game went down. 1 game over 100 yards---and he only got a lot of those targets because Hopkins was out for half the season.  Once he came back, Brown was #2.  In Balt, he was far and away the #1 WR.  What a chump. 

How many WR's have demanded trades from franchise QB's where they are the undisputed #1?

32 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How many WR's have demanded trades from franchise QB's where they are the undisputed #1?

well there's always the need to factor in stupid decisions on the part of NFL players.  What did he think was going to improve for him in AZ??  dumb.  

who else you got?

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. I don’t want to box Lamar in as some kind of uber-Tyrod. My comment goes to the fact that as long as he’s under Greg Roman (a guy I really like) we’re not really sure how good he can be in a different offense, and that there’s kind of a Law of Roman Diminishing Returns. 

I think Roman has pretty much maxed out Lamar's NFL potential. Putting Lamar in any kind of predominantly passing offence strikes me as a recipe for disaster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

well there's always the need to factor in stupid decisions on the part of NFL players.  What did he think was going to improve for him in AZ??  dumb.  

who else you got?

Let's do a playoff WR draft check.

Since 2019, when Lamar was the "guy," the Ravens have drafted 2 first round WR's. 

Let's look at the rest of the playoff teams.

The Bills have drafted zero.

The Chiefs drafted zero.

The Bengals drafted 1 first round WR.

The Vikings drafted 1 first round WR.

The Eagles drafted 2 first round WR's.

The 49ers drafted 1 first round WR.

The Dolphins drafted 1 first round WR.

How many of those dudes demanded a trade?  1.

Do you think it's POSSIBLE that, yes, the Ravens do not have the best WR group in the NFL and ALSO that LJ is a reason for that as well?  This isn't a Rodgers situation. 2 first rounders at WR in 4 years is a lot.  Even the Eagles got one wrong in Jalen Reagor.  '

They don't want to play with this dude.  WR's hit the market and they know the Ravens are where WR's go to die.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Lamar is more than a "running" QB. He threw for 4,000 yds twice in college with receivers who couldn't make a NFL roster. Get him an OC like Hurts have in Philadelphia and a bonafide WR

How about he is actually healthy for an entire year! The last 2 years he been hurt and it’s been his knees so I’d be scared give him a long term deal.

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Since 2019, when Lamar was the "guy," the Ravens have drafted 2 first round WR's. 

The Chiefs drafted zero.

Do you think it's POSSIBLE that, yes, the Ravens do not have the best WR group in the NFL and ALSO that LJ is a reason for that as well?  This isn't a Rodgers situation. 2 first rounders at WR in 4 years is a lot.  Even the Eagles got one wrong in Jalen Reagor.  '

They don't want to play with this dude.  WR's hit the market and they know the Ravens are where WR's go to die.

And they drafted that Duvernay kid in the 3rd. I think he's pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Chiefs drafted zero.

Well Brown made it clear why asked for a trade.  Then he went straight to a predictably worse situation.  That’s the choice of a moron—so his life decision in this matter can be completely discounted.  

No one is saying Jackson is a great passing QB.  Im saying his WRs stink.  The one who demanded to be traded is a #2 WR all day anywhere else—and now he is…on a crappy team with a worse QB.  

That’s not a very persuasive argument you are attempting to make. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/12/lamar-jackson-my-knee-remains-inflamed-and-unstable/

I think it was Chris Simms (who does have some 'ins' with the players) who said earlier this week that he'd heard Jackson's knee was still swollen.

For anyone curious, definition of Grade 2 and Grade 3 sprain:

I defer to our resident Orthos here, but it seems to me that in a professional athlete, a Grade 3 sprain would 100% get surgery and a Grade 2 bordering on Grade 3 sprain would strongly recommend it for  optimal recovery

For a PCL? I thought those could heal on their own (unlike ACLs).

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well Brown made it clear why asked for a trade.  Then he went straight to a predictably worse situation.  That’s the choice of a moron—so his life decision in this matter can be completely discounted.  

No one is saying Jackson is a great passing QB.  Im saying his WRs stink.  The one who demanded to be traded is a #2 WR all day anywhere else—and now he is…on a crappy team with a worse QB.  

That’s not a very persuasive argument you are attempting to make. 

That's one way to look at it.  The other way to look at it is that some dude who isn't even that good of a WR wanted to be anywhere but Baltimore as the #1 WR in a contract year.

If you were Gabe Davis, the Ravens would be slightly more appealing than maybe Carolina and Atlanta as an FA.  That's a huge deal.

Even Diggs didn't want to come to Buffalo until AFTER 2019.  AB straight up said I'd retire rather than go there.

Edited by FireChans

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I hate to say it but if Lamar was in an offense that wasn't Roman's he'd not be as successful as he's been. Time will tell as talk is Roman is not going in to be Baltimore after this season and have a suspicion that Lamar will be under a 1 year franchise type deal. Similar to what the Redskins did to Cousins. 

I agree with this. Roman has been able to put a band aid on Jackson’s flaws but eventually the band aid will fall off. I think if the Ravens fire Roman we will see how flawed of a QB Jackson really is. 

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That's one way to look at it.  The other way to look at it is that some dude who isn't even that good of a WR wanted to be anywhere but Baltimore as the #1 WR in a contract year.

If you were Gabe Davis, the Ravens would be slightly more appealing than maybe Carolina and Atlanta as an FA.  That's a huge deal.

Even Diggs didn't want to come to Buffalo until AFTER 2019.  AB straight up said I'd retire rather than go there.

Where did Diggs say that he didn’t want to come to Buffalo?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I agree with this. Roman has been able to put a band aid on Jackson’s flaws but eventually the band aid will fall off. I think if the Ravens fire Roman we will see how flawed of a QB Jackson really is. 

Where did Diggs say that he didn’t want to come to Buffalo?

DIGGS DIDN'T ALWAYS want to come to Buffalo.

The Bills first contacted the Vikings about the wide receiver's availability prior to the trade deadline in 2019. Appearing on linebacker Von Miller's podcast last month, Diggs said he told his agent he did not want to be traded to Buffalo at the time.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34986962/how-trading-stefon-diggs-became-massive-win-win-bills-vikings

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.