Allen picked the Rams apart regardless of coverage

Einstein

This is a great thread by a PFF data scientist talking about how Allen took the short passes when the Rams dropped people back, and took the long pass the instant that they pulled them forward. There was nothing they could do. Allen was reading the field at an elite level.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

But but wait......I heard Josh Allen was the least coachable QB in his draft class? 

The kid is the real deal and has proven to everyone that no matter what your flaws are, you can still be coached to learn better habits. 

No doubt. He’s a stud.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

No doubt. He’s a stud.

You just have to be willing to be coached. A lot of these guys (Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, just to name a few) already think they are great and basically think they don't need any extra help. Josh has a mind like a sponge and will take any help he can get. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

But but wait......I heard Josh Allen was the least coachable QB in his draft class? 

The kid is the real deal and has proven to everyone that no matter what your flaws are, you can still be coached to learn better habits. 

The Rams just didn't disguise their pre-snap coverage good enough since Josh has a problem with that according to Steven Ruiz. 😂 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Josh just needs consistency.  He has all the tools at this point.  He ended the season last year playing at this amazing level and he has picked up right where he left off.  Let's hope he can maintain it.  With Allen playing like this and a legit defense, this could end up being a very special season.

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Josh just needs consistency.  He has all the tools at this point.  He ended the season last year playing at this amazing level and he has picked up right where he left off.  Let's hope he can maintain it.  With Allen playing like this and a legit defense, this could end up being a very special season.

he needs consistency? are you nuts? the first INT was not his fault. 

The second INT, I put that 50% on the WR. You have to understand JA got used to a Beasley squaring his rout. putting effort into doing so. Crowder is a different football player where Crowder uses a lot of deception in his game. When Crowder cut out and realized the CB was on his front side and not on back side, then Crowder should have ran his rout going slightly back to the line of scrimmage so he had the angle. he didn't do it and these are nuances Josh needs to learn from his new WR that played very little in the preseason together. This being said Josh should not of thrown that ball so i put that throw 50% Crowder 50% Josh.

Josh threw the ball 31 times completed the ball 26 times.

Math time

31 throws

5 passes went somewhere else

-1 int not his fault

So 4 passes went somewhere else

Diggs every day catches that td, went through his hands

so 3 passes went somewhere else

-1 int (for the sake of argument) was joshes fault brings us to 

1 ball was thrown away

another was a tough throw under pressure.

THREE passes out of 31. you think Brady never threw INT's?

Lets get one more thing straight. Those announcers last night for a while thought they were watching Tom Brady play last night.  and you say he has consistency issues? Just Stop. 

I said before the game that our CB's would look better then some thought and because of the Von Miller effect, that game would not look close. I said it in these forums. and if you take away a rookies fumble, we have 7-10 more points on the board.

Gulp that down.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

he needs consistency? are you nuts? the first INT was not his fault. 

The second INT, I put that 50% on the WR. You have to understand JA got used to a Beasley squaring his rout. putting effort into doing so. Crowder is a different football player where Crowder uses a lot of deception in his game. When Crowder cut out and realized the CB was on his front side and not on back side, then Crowder should have ran his rout going slightly back to the line of scrimmage so he had the angle. he didn't do it and these are nuances Josh needs to learn from his new WR that played very little in the preseason together. This being said Josh should not of thrown that ball so i put that throw 50% Crowder 50% Josh.

Josh threw the ball 31 times completed the ball 26 times.

Math time

31 throws

5 passes went somewhere else

-1 int not his fault

So 4 passes went somewhere else

Diggs every day catches that td, went through his hands

so 3 passes went somewhere else

-1 int (for the sake of argument) was joshes fault brings us to 

1 ball was thrown away

another was a tough throw under pressure.

THREE passes out of 31. you think Brady never threw INT's?

Lets get one more thing straight. Those announcers last night for a while thought they were watching Tom Brady play last night.  and you say he has consistency issues? Just Stop. 

I said before the game that our CB's would look better then some thought and because of the Von Miller effect, that game would not look close. I said it in these forums. and if you take away a rookies fumble, we have 7-10 more points on the board.

Gulp that down.

I went back and reread my post.  I'm not sure why you're all worked up into a lather over it.

Have a nice day.

🍻

- Collinsworth mentioned in the first half that Allen's play (being patient, ball out quick, taking short passes) was Brady-esque. Set aside your hatred for Brady and recognize that this was a compliment 

- Ball was indeed coming out very quickly in the first half which limited the Rams' D options

- imo, the second INT was on Allen. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

"Josh Allen needs Consistency"

sorry 

"Josh Allen HAS Consistency"

have a good day as well.

I was talking about consistency across the course of the season.  If he can eliminate games like the Steelers, Jags, Colts and Falcons from last season (almost a quarter of the regular season games) he will own the NFL.   

I think we're on the same side here.

🍻

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I was talking about consistency across the course of the season.  If he can eliminate games like the Steelers, Jags, Colts and Falcons from last season (almost a quarter of the regular season games last season) he will own the NFL.   

I think we're on the same side here.

🍻

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

I didn't evaluate Josh prior to the draft, or have a long personal interview with him.

But, from what I can tell as a fan, he's a smart kid with a great sense of humor and for an elite pro athlete, he seems really smart.  How did that story get started that "He can't be coached."

That is usually code in sports for "this guy is a complete moron; he literally cannot learn."

From what I can see of Josh, I would think he would be extremely coachable and likely be able to handle the mental side of quarterbacking very well.  And he does!  Not sure why this is a surprise.

Now, the accuracy thing is a surprise; he totally reinvented himself there, perhaps more than any other player in NFL history...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I didn't evaluate Josh prior to the draft, or have a long personal interview with him.

But, from what I can tell as a fan, he's a smart kid with a great sense of humor and for an elite pro athlete, he seems really smart.  How did that story get started that "He can't be coached."

That is usually code in sports for "this guy is a complete moron; he literally cannot learn."

From what I can see of Josh, I would think he would be extremely coachable and likely be able to handle the mental side of quarterbacking very well.  And he does!  Not sure why this is a surprise.

Now, the accuracy thing is a surprise; he totally reinvented himself there, perhaps more than any other player in NFL history...

That is what the biggest downfall of him coming out of college was. Everyone and their mother said, "you can't coach accuracy". Well, he was willing to learn a whole new style on how to move his feet and change how he released the ball. Some of these guys just can't grasp the fact that they need to change certain mechanics. I was one in the minority who loved the pick. I've never once said anything negative about JA.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.