2022 MVP: Mahomes wins. Allen gets 1 vote? (42 TDs, 19 TOs, 315 YPG & 63.3%% Comp %--EOY talk 54+)

transplantbillsfan

On 12/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, Buffalo Ballin said:

It's time for the NFL to introduce new awards. I'm tired of seeing QBs get MVP. Let's split it up. The Oscars do it that way.

"The Most Valuable Player for QBs goes to...."

"The Most Valuable Player for RBs goes to....."

"The Most Valuable Player for WRs goes to...."

And so on. It's time for the MVP to be in categories. NFL and the fans all win in this.

I think they call that an All-Pro team. 

On 12/20/2022 at 1:00 PM, GunnerBill said:

As a former member of the media I am not sure that is true. Narratives are written and they take a lot to come off them. I don't disagree that a huge game against Cincy could do it... but at this point Allen is still a relative long shot.

Oh come on. Former member of the media or not, if Josh Allen wins his final 3 games (this means the team would have won 8 in a row and be the #1 seed) and plays like he did on Saturday in 2 of the 3 or maybe even just 1 of the 3 (as long as it's the Cincy game) Allen will probably win the award.

In terms of narratives, you should understand that the NFL is a week to week league.

3 games is a lifetime by NFL standards 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh come on. Former member of the media or not, if Josh Allen wins his final 3 games (this means the team would have won 8 in a row and be the #1 seed) and plays like he did on Saturday in 2 of the 3 or maybe even just 1 of the 3 (as long as it's the Cincy game) Allen will probably win the award.

In terms of narratives, you should understand that the NFL is a week to week league.

3 games is a lifetime by NFL standards 

Narratives get set. That is the point. I think most of the 50 voters have probably already got a decision in their heads. Is there time to flip it? Sure. But it needs their guy to slip somewhere as well as someone else to flash. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Narratives get set. That is the point. I think most of the 50 voters have probably already got a decision in their heads. Is there time to flip it? Sure. But it needs their guy to slip somewhere as well as someone else to flash. 

You're equivocating 

"Slip" and "Flash" are so relative

22 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're equivocating 

"Slip" and "Flash" are so relative

Let me tell you what I am doing... I am telling you how these things work. I have never had a vote for MVP, obviously, but I did for two years have a vote for the Premier League equivalent here in the UK. People talk to one another about it and people do not wait to see 17 games completed them think "right who is my MVP?" They are thinking about it as the year goes along and particularly by halfway through the season most people have an idea in their heads. They don't come off that idea at a whim. 

The new voting system is interesting. Maybe that influences the way the results come out but for the most part I am telling you the majority of those 50 voters will have a clear front runner in their heads already and it takes something dramatic to change minds.

• Agree 2

On 12/20/2022 at 4:12 PM, GunnerBill said:

He needs that and Hurts either to miss 3 game or have a clunker. My view is that most minds are pretty much made up by now. Would take a lot to change them.

• Josh Allen was the heavy MVP favorite for the first 8 weeks of the season.  Two bad games and he was completely written off.
  • Joe Burrow had a very rough start to the season.  Over the last month, I'm starting to see his name pop-up in the media as a sleeper candidate.

Sure.  Voters have a pretty good idea which players they are looking at.  But the finish to the season will be the most important piece, and leave the strongest impression in their mind.  

I agree that Allen needs some things to fall his way, in addition to having a fantastic finish on his own (he really needs a great performance against the Bengals).  But it's not totally unreasonable.

The Eagles are pretty much a lock for the #1 seed, even if they drop the upcoming game to the Cowboys.  They have zero reason to push Jalen Hurts into action, and probably would be considering resting him... even if he was 100% healthy.  Fair or not, that is going to hurt him statistically.  Especially when you consider that Patrick Mahomes/Allen could reach some all-time NFL yardage records.  Mahomes clearly has the stats edge right now.  But he's not as far ahead as some make it seem, especially when you factor in rushing.

The Chiefs also have a tendency to play-down to competition.  They have looked very unimpressive the last three weeks.  I wouldn't count on Mahomes playing poorly, but anything is possible.  If he slumps, while we hammer the Bengals and take the #1 seed, it very likely could sway a large number of voters.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Allen goes into super Allen mode and beats the Bengals.   Allen is the MVP.  Top seed qb with the best numbers.  Allen would have the numbers and narrative that he carried the Bills down the stretch.  Played through injury and still got home field.  If Buffalo beats Cincy they would hold a win over every division winner in the AFC and all but one playoff team if the Chargers make it.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Allen goes into super Allen mode and beats the Bengals.   Allen is the MVP.  Top seed qb with the best numbers.  Allen would have the numbers and narrative that he carried the Bills down the stretch.  Played through injury and still got home field.  If Buffalo beats Cincy they would hold a win over every division winner in the AFC and all but one playoff team if the Chargers make it.  

Mahomes will probably have the best volume stats regardless of what Allen does these last 3 weeks. Gotta just hope for more 3 INT games like vs the Broncos.

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Mahomes will probably have the best volume stats regardless of what Allen does these last 3 weeks. Gotta just hope for more 3 INT games like vs the Broncos.

I can't remember which team it was, I want to say either the chargers or 49ers but he threw 2 or 3 ints in that game that were negated by so spotty calls.

I'm sure there have been others but I was all in one game.

Edited by The Wiz

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I can't remember which team it was, I want to say either the chargers or 49ers but he threw 2 or 3 ints in that game that were negated by so spotty calls.

First chargers game. He threw about 5 picks that were either dropped or negated by penalty.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

First Chargers game he had 2 picks called back on penalties. One overturned which was close, and a bunch of dropped picks. The man had a horseshoe up his rear that night.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• transplantbillsfan changed the title to 2022 MVP Race: Another tough weather game (39 TDs, 18 TOs, 318 YPG & 62.5% Comp %--Bears talk 49+)

Bills win. That's all that matters. In terms of MVP race I think it's exactly the same as it was coming into the game. No steps forward. No steps back. Yes, I understand 2 bad Interceptions. Allen also wound up with 3 TDs and his team had a dominant scorebox win.

Maybe a tiny step back, but he's still in the race.

Wonder if the voters look at all the inclement weather these QBs have played in.

What I think this all comes down to is the Cincy game next week. 

A side note. We targeted Diggs 2 or 3 times today. Anyone else think Dorsey was thinking about next week's game and holding a bunch of offensive looks in his back pocket?

Anyone else think Gabe Davis kinda sucks?

Can we do an even exchange with the Giants to get Hodgins back?

Zero effort to come back to the football in the EZ along with the fumble and the lack of sideline awareness as the icing on the cake. He almost looks like he just doesn't care out there.

Outside of Diggs, our offensive weapons are pretty blah. Probably should be considered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.