The Bills are on to the regular season!

YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, ganesh said:

this!

The situation is with a punter.   They have a owner who cares about how women are treated in our society.  The team needs to cut bait and move on.  They cannot have this as a distraction.

I'm not ready to cut bait.  I want to see the legal process move along.  The incident is alleged to have happened last October. Araiza still hasn't been charged.  He denies that it took place.  I don't understand why he hasn't been charged if there is clear evidence beyond the girl's accusation.  If, as the picture becomes clearer, it looks as if he is guilty, then it's time to cut bait.  At this point, though, there is still a chance that the Bills, and the football world could be denying an innocent person the opportunity to make his mark in the NFL.  If he's as good as he appears to be, the Bills can carry him as an inactive on the 53 man roster.  He's worth that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

As the mighty Gunners come from behind to make it 4 from 4 for the first time since 2004 super Mik Arteta is asked whether they are in the title race. His answer?

"No, it's the start of the season. This is a long marathon. Be humble, and hungry."

Now where have I heard that before?? The thing Arteta and McDermott have in common is they understand you can't turn around a sinking ship without rebuilding the culture first. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm not ready to cut bait.  I want to see the legal process move along.  The incident is alleged to have happened last October. Araiza still hasn't been charged.  He denies that it took place.  I don't understand why he hasn't been charged if there is clear evidence beyond the girl's accusation.  If, as the picture becomes clearer, it looks as if he is guilty, then it's time to cut bait.  At this point, though, there is still a chance that the Bills, and the football world could be denying an innocent person the opportunity to make his mark in the NFL.  If he's as good as he appears to be, the Bills can carry him as an inactive on the 53 man roster.  He's worth that.

I too want to see the legal process play out, but the Bills do not have the luxury of time.  The season starts in two weeks.  This will not be resolved legally in two weeks.  The Bills cannot afford to have this distraction ongoing as the season approaches and goes on.  What you are suggesting is that the Bills utilize two roster spots on punters...one to be active on game day and Araiza.  Roster spots are much too precious and at the end of the day, hopefully this team will not be punting that much during the season.  They need to do what is right, in the long run, but what is right currently is the good of the team and those 53 other players who will make that team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Not to bring up any details of the other thread, but I think we'll look back at this coming out in August instead of November as a blessing in disguise. 

There's time for McD and the FO to right the ship and then get focused on the season. It could have been a thousand times worse if this calamity took place mid-season. 

I am truly praying for coach McDermott and everything he has in front of him!

I agree.  Operationally, on a strictly football basis, all that's happening for the team is that they'll replace their punter.   It's not a big deal from that perspective.  They'll just get another punter, as if Araiza had pulled his hammy.   They'll tell the players and coaches to get focused and they will. 

At the higher level, they're scrambling, no doubt talking to the NFL's people who have been there before, and they'll work through the process professionally.   They're probably already having lawyer to lawyer discussions with Araiza's attorney about how the Bills let him go, what the financial arrangements will be, what the agreement will be about what's said to the press.   It's not easy, and there's pressure to get the story under control quickly, get it in the past or at least postponed.  

But I don't see that it's going to cause turmoil.   It's just a major, unexpected disruption, and they are prepared to deal with those things.   It's high-level management decision making, and Terry Pegula is at the management pyramid.  

I agree, in November it will be a footnote, or maybe a milestone.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I too want to see the legal process play out, but the Bills do not have the luxury of time.  The season starts in two weeks.  This will not be resolved legally in two weeks.  The Bills cannot afford to have this distraction ongoing as the season approaches and goes on.  What you are suggesting is that the Bills utilize two roster spots on punters...one to be active on game day and Araiza.  Roster spots are much too precious and at the end of the day, hopefully this team will not be punting that much during the season.  They need to do what is right, in the long run, but what is right currently is the good of the team and those 53 other players who will make that team.

I think you're right.  From a football point of view, it's just a punter, for Pete's sake.  Replace him and move on.  There's just no reason to keep him around and keep having to deal with a media circus.   Some media circuses are unavoidable and can't be stopped, but this one can be.   The broadcast coverage team will to talk about it each week Araiza is on the team; they will have no real reason to talk about in November if he's off the team now.  

How to replace him?  Well, you want to be sure that you don't violate his contract, so you bring in lawyers and you negotiate a deal between Araiza and the Bills.  I have to believe it's going on right now, and there is a deadline, which may be the end of business Monday, in advance of the cuts.   As I said above, they're negotiating what's going to be said about this - why he's getting cut, mutual agreement, no admissions, nothing might put the Bills or the punter in a bad light.  Araiza's going to say he's leaving the team - and football - voluntarily to take time to clear his name.   He's going to say how how much he appreciates the opportunity to work with the Bills, including through this problem.  

Once all of that happens, there may be lingering questions about whether the Bills should have known earlier, acted more quickly, been more sensitive to the victim, and Bills public relations people will help the Bills manage that.   They'll be doing it all in consultation with the NFL office.   The NFL knows how to do this.  Not likely to become some kind of ongoing national scandal, unless the news breaks that Gabriel Davis is a named defendant, too.  

I don't know any of this, but it sure seems likely.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're right.  From a football point of view, it's just a punter, for Pete's sake.  Replace him and move on.  There's just no reason to keep him around and keep having to deal with a media circus.   Some media circuses are unavoidable and can't be stopped, but this one can be.   The broadcast coverage team will to talk about it each week Araiza is on the team; they will have no real reason to talk about in November if he's off the team now.  

How to replace him?  Well, you want to be sure that you don't violate his contract, so you bring in lawyers and you negotiate a deal between Araiza and the Bills.  I have to believe it's going on right now, and there is a deadline, which may be the end of business Monday, in advance of the cuts.   As I said above, they're negotiating what's going to be said about this - why he's getting cut, mutual agreement, no admissions, nothing might put the Bills or the punter in a bad light.  Araiza's going to say he's leaving the team - and football - voluntarily to take time to clear his name.   He's going to say how how much he appreciates the opportunity to work with the Bills, including through this problem.  

Once all of that happens, there may be lingering questions about whether the Bills should have known earlier, acted more quickly, been more sensitive to the victim, and Bills public relations people will help the Bills manage that.   They'll be doing it all in consultation with the NFL office.   The NFL knows how to do this.  Not likely to become some kind of ongoing national scandal, unless the news breaks that Gabriel Davis is a named defendant, too.  

I don't know any of this, but it sure seems likely.  

That's a very wise take on the situation.

Best for all if it works out that way.

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

Don't envy Sean McDermott today.

Getting this team focused and ready to play may be the biggest test of his leadership as the Bills Head Coach. The Peterman disaster is up there, but that was just football; unfortunately for everyone this is a bigger and darker cloud over the team.

GO BILLS!

Sean will figure it out. He'll use as much time as he can to make a determination on MA, based on the information he has. If Araiza is released, he'll find a capable replacement. Haack was awful and they'll be cut punters (Kern) more than capable of doing the job.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Should just be a handshake deal that if he can clear things up that he’ll come back to the team that used a draft pick on him. With us being a great team I don’t see that being a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

I don’t envy him for having to get in front of the microphone. All else is pearl-clutching by fans and media. They are professionals who are pursuing the ultimate goal in their field. I think they will handle the scary dark cloud just fine. 

Thank you. It's a freaking rookie punter. I'm over it.

Cut him, keep him on IR, whatever. But let's play football. I'm a fan of football. I'm not responsible for the personal lives of 53 jocks I don't know and whatever skeletons they have in their closet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

Should just be a handshake deal that if he can clear things up that he’ll come back to the team that used a draft pick on him. With us being a great team I don’t see that being a problem.

Bills wouldn't agree to that.  They'll say when he's ready to get back to the game, the Bills certainly will consider him.  But the Bills will have moved on, and who knows what commitments the Bills might have to their then current punter.  Plus, if the case goes the wrong way, and the evidence against him gets worse, the Bills aren't going to want a commitment hanging out there that they'd take him back.  

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Bills wouldn't agree to that.  They'll say when he's ready to get back to the game, the Bills certainly will consider him.  But the Bills will have moved on, and who knows what commitments the Bills might have to their then current punter.  Plus, if the case goes the wrong way, and the evidence against him gets worse, the Bills aren't going to want a commitment hanging out there that they'd take him back.  

I was talking about him committing to the Bills. Let’s say he is able to clear his name….teams will be clamoring to sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

Hey .. been out of touch for a while .. was wondering about the punting competition. I heard a single Matt punted last night and hit a 53 yarder .. but was wondering if it was Haack or Araiza i figure that guy has the punting contest locked up.

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Hey .. been out of touch for a while .. was wondering about the punting competition. I heard a single Matt punted last night and hit a 53 yarder .. but was wondering if it was Haack or Arizona? i figure that guy has the punting contest locked up.

OMG it was still Matt 🤣

10 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I was talking about him committing to the Bills. Let’s say he is able to clear his name….teams will be clamoring to sign him.

I doubt he'll do that, either.   When he comes back, he'll be free agent, and he won't want to feel restricted.   He'll talk to the Bills, sure, he's not committing anything now.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.