Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

16 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

You're right, the whole story isn't Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old when he was in college. 

It's, Matt Araiza hooked up with a 17 year old girl he just met in the bushes outside of a house where she would later possibly be forcibly raped by several of his teammates, and he is the one being accused of bringing her into the room where it happened. 

But that's not why this thread is nearing 300 pages. These allegations were made public as early as December 2021 and the Bills don't seem to have known anything about it when they drafted him.

And after learning of the allegations, the Bills chose to name him the starter apparently hoping the whole thing would stay buried. 

Whether Matt Araiza is guilty or even charged is up to the DA and judge/ jury to decide. 

As Bills fans, we have every right to know why due diligence wasn't done. Or if it was, and someone decided to take a gamble that it would never see the light of day. 

Sorry but your making a lot of assumptions here… just let it play out instead of commenting on “the bills chose to name him the starter hoping it would stay buried” you were in the room and know what the bills are thinking..???  
  The bills don’t owe you anything as a fan not sure why you think they do…. And again you have no idea what due diligence was or wasn’t done. 

I get it man you don’t want our team associated with someone that would do this….none of us do! But let it play out and don’t make assumptions. If he did do this we will cut him and hopefully he goes to jail.  Anyone that watched that press conference by Sean can see he is taking this serious and he is truly bothered by it… I can’t for the life of me think that Brandon beanie feels any differently. 

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

For what it's worth, one of our resident attorneys pointed out that the whole "Bills didn't talk to the victim as part of their investigation" may in large part be more lawyer grandstanding and trying to (successfully) put pressure on the Bills by "trying the case in the court of public opinion" by making it look as though the Bills can't have done a thorough investigation - a viewpoint reinforced by the headline of @john wawrow's otherwise well done AP article.

His point was that the lawyer is actually highly unlikely to make his client available to the Bills either for a sworn deposition, or a recorded interview with the Bills reps able to ask her questions freely.  Either would be discoverable to the civil case, and could result in contradictions or inconsistencies that could cast doubt on her as a witness in her civil case.

In fact, the lawyer mentions specifically "contact my client for her statement".  A pre-written, vetted statement from the alleged victim may not add too much to the investigation over the initial conversation and the emailed information he provided to the Bills.

This.  And even if he had agreed to let her be interviewed, it would only have been with him present and dictating what would be answered, limited to what was in the civil suit.

Just now, Augie said:

What on earth are the owners supposed to say here? Come on, really? They don’t know all the facts, they are working on learning more and deciding how to proceed. The owners pay people to run the football operation, and this is part of that. We don’t need someone higher up stumbling awkwardly thru “I can’t comment on that”. What a senseless chitshow that would turn into. 

They don't have to explain every decision that went into where they find themselves today but a candid statement on a coherent timeline would be entirely appropriate imo.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah every Bills reporter on Twitter is making it a point to mention that he's still on the team. That means something. 

It means...he's still on the team, even though he wasn't at practice?

I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean, clue me?

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Haack was due to make 1.8M in salary. I'm guessing they didn't want to pay him that.

And maybe, just maybe……they wanted a better punter. That blocked punt for TD vs Pittsburgh that happened right in front of me and cost us a game and maybe home field still gives me nightmares! It took him as long to get it off as his average hang time. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll echo an earlier post that this incident is a real challenge for headlines/graphics and the social media age news reporting/consumption. There are just enough layers to the accusations that a 6 word headline can’t be enough to frame it fairly 

Very fair point

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah every Bills reporter on Twitter is making it a point to mention that he's still on the team. That means something. 

Rosters are locked untill Monday, I believe. They are just making sure it's out there so he can't c on me after them for cutting him early...

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So they specifically told Media to let it be known that he is still on the roster as of the start of practice. Would they tell them to say that just to say he was off the roster after practice? 

The roster gets released daily before practice. Part of submitting an injury report. 

The Bills already released the roster for today about an hour before practice. 

They proactively let reporters know Araiza wouldn’t be at practice today.

3 minutes ago, gordong said:

Sorry but your making a lot of assumptions here… just let it play out instead of commenting on “the bills chose to name him the starter hoping it would stay buried” you were in the room and know what the bills are thinking..???  
  The bills don’t owe you anything as a fan not sure why you think they do…. And again you have no idea what due diligence was or wasn’t done. 

I get it man you don’t want our team associated with someone that would do this….none of us do! But let it play out and don’t make assumptions. If he did do this we will cut him and hopefully he goes to jail.  Anyone that watched that press conference by Sean can see he is taking this serious and he is truly bothered by it… I can’t for the life of me think that Brandon beanie feels any differently. 

At some point there will be questions that come due. They will owe a little bit of insight.

the idea that they must immediately pull the curtain back by end of day today is not a real thing, and is a bit entitled from a lot of folks. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

They don't have to explain every decision that went into where they find themselves today but a candid statement on a coherent timeline would be entirely appropriate imo.

I’m sure the timeline is one of the things they are working on. The owners owe you nothing on this, even if you want to see an even more awkward, painful and useless display for your amusement. IMO

EDIT: Can you even IMAGINE the outcry if they rushed into a response to “make people happy”, then the story changes a bit? They would be crucified for being wrong, when the real error was putting it out there before they were as sure as possible. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To me I would assume it means they aren't going to officially cut him until they know more. I guess they could just be waiting until McDermott's press conference to announce he's cut though.

Edited by HappyDays

Just now, Augie said:

I’m sure the timeline is one of the things they are working on. The owners owe you nothing on this, even if you want to see an even more awkward, painful and useless display for your amusement. IMO

I'm not really in a position to say what we as fans are owed, but I'm pretty confident that continuing to repeat 'we have more work to do' doesn't serve their short or long term goals.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I don't believe anybody right now.  Least of all the alleged victim.  I just read something in her "journal" where she says that, after several people took turns having sex with her, she was flipped over and someone performed oral sex on her.  

First of all, I don't know any people who would take turns having sex with anybody.  But I don't know that there is a person on the planet who would have oral sex with a woman who has been having sex with several men.  That particular embellishment, in my opinion, is nonsense. 

Her lawyer strikes me as a scumbag.  He's blaming everybody.  Is it possible that his client is lying?  

This whole thing is funky.

Not saying I agree or disagree with you…..

But the journal entries are moot to me. Shoot can she prove when she wrote these? Even if there were a date it’s a handwritten document.

Not to hard to fabricate and say “I wrote this the next day”….. but yet it was 6 months later.

I could go as far as saying…. Write down your stories so you don’t forget what you need to say, so you don’t get twisted or caught in a lie about what you said.

Not picking sides, it’s just the journal entries can’t be end all be all or even considered evidence.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

At some point there will be questions that come due. They will owe a little bit of insight.

the idea that they must immediately pull the curtain back by end of day today is not a real thing, and is a bit entitled from a lot of folks. 

At some point I agree and we will get it. 

I have to believe they are going to release Araiza...it's just too much of a distraction and the difference between him and a guy they could sign off the street isn't great enough to continue to endure this, especially with so much at stake this season.  They cut a sixth round pick; big deal.  It's not fair to Araiza, but if he's at least somewhat exonerated, he'll get another chance to play in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We had a similar (but different) situation at our UK office a year or two ago. It was just a single sales rep with a law suit and made national new in the UK. 

Our COO quickly got in front of the public with statements and articles. And we are a company with much more revenue/value than the Bills and have much less notoriety and smaller headlines. 

Not a great look from Terry. 

Tangentially. Is Kim OK?

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That he hasn’t been cut (yet)

the reporters are all at practice and always note who isn’t there so there would be a ton of speculation that he’s been cut