Secret Service Deleted Jan 6 Text Messages After Oversight Officials Requested Them

Per The Intercept:

THE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. The letter was originally sent by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committees. Though the Secret Service maintains that the text messages were lost as a result of a “device-replacement program,” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communications.

The Department of Homeland Security — the Secret Service’s parent agency — is subject to oversight from the DHS Office of Inspector General, which had requested records of electronic communications from the Secret Service between January 5 and January 6, 2021, before being informed that they had been erased. It is unclear from the letter whether all of the messages were deleted or just some.

Not a great look.

Dam this is almost as book a look as our Afghanistan withdrawal.  

Or Hillary's stand down orders in Benghazi.  

Or their claim Benghazi was the result of a YouTube video.

Democrats really wanted to get to the bottom of those debacles that *checks notes* did NOT happen under Trump.  

We definitely got em now!   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Per The Intercept:

THE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. The letter was originally sent by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committees. Though the Secret Service maintains that the text messages were lost as a result of a “device-replacement program,” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communications.

The Department of Homeland Security — the Secret Service’s parent agency — is subject to oversight from the DHS Office of Inspector General, which had requested records of electronic communications from the Secret Service between January 5 and January 6, 2021, before being informed that they had been erased. It is unclear from the letter whether all of the messages were deleted or just some.

Not a great look.

Why is it not a great look?  

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Why is it not a great look?  

The same reason anyone deleting anything after being legally requested that thing by a higher authority would not be a great look.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, 716er said:

The same reason anyone deleting anything after being legally requested that thing by a higher authority would not be a great look.

I can assure it’s done all the time. It’s not supposed to be but it is. 
Now you can go back to screaming at each other.

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can assure it’s done all the time. It’s not supposed to be but it is. 
Now you can go back to screaming at each other.

I’m not screaming at anyone, Deek.  My thought was the same as yours.  Politicians seem to have these lapses and accidental deletes all the time.  It seems it shouldn’t happen, but it does, sorta making it less “not a good look”, more an expected look more times than not. 

Sadly, the texts may well have provided context of the god-awful level of security that day. 

11 minutes ago, 716er said:

ah so you were asking a rhetorical question in the most pro-Trump way possible. Gotcha 

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Ah, so no, Ricky ######o.  

I have no idea why Chi Goose suggested it was a bad look.  Maybe he believes there’s critical evidence about Trump’s behavior that day.  Maybe he thinks the texts would provide clarity on the actions of other players.  Maybe he thinks the deleted texts represent evidence of criminal activity by the agent(s) who sent them.  Maybe he wanted to know if they ordered Chik-Fil-A, or strippers for a buddy’s bachelor party.   Or, maybe he thinks everybody every time should not delete texts when advised not to.  

He didn’t say. 

That’s why I asked him.  I know what I thought, and now you do too, because you asked me what I thought, and I explained it to you. 

Cool lady wink. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Democrats really wanted to get to the bottom of those debacles that *checks notes* did NOT happen under Trump.  

Who are you virtue signaling for dude? 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ah, so no, Ricky ######o.  

I have no idea why Chi Goose suggested it was a bad look.  Maybe he believes there’s critical evidence about Trump’s behavior that day.  Maybe he thinks the texts would provide clarity on the actions of other players.  Maybe he thinks the deleted texts represent evidence of criminal activity by the agent(s) who sent them.  Maybe he wanted to know if they ordered Chik-Fil-A, or strippers for a buddy’s bachelor party.   Or, maybe he thinks everybody every time should not delete texts when advised not to.  

He didn’t say. 

That’s why I asked him.  I know what I thought, and now you do too, because you asked me what I thought, and I explained it to you. 

Cool lady wink. 

Sorry I’m just seeing this, was on dinner and clean up duty.

I think it’s a bad look for any government employee phone to have data deleted after an IG asks for it to be preserved.

Generally, I would expect that there is a procedure to identify such devices and prevent them from undergoing regular data wipes.

As far as I can tell, that leaves three likely potential scenarios:

1. There was no procedure to prevent devices from being wiped after an IG asks them to be preserved.

2. There is a procedure but it failed in this instance for some reason.

3. The data was intentionally deleted to prevent the IG from uncovering facts.

I think all of those are a bad look for an agency as serious as the Secret Service.

I am not going to do the PPP thing and break out my jump to conclusions mat, but if I had to guess, I think Occam’s and Hanlon’s Razors would make me more inclined to lean towards option 2.

In any case, this should be investigated to get to the bottom of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

When you deflect like a mofo really makes it seem like ya don't care.  Rightio.   You didn't mention covid again that's like twice in a month! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

When you deflect like a mofo really makes it seem like ya don't care.  Rightio.   You didn't mention covid again that's like twice in a month! 

He’s a troll. Between him and DR, they don’t have two brain cells to rub together.

Best to ignore and let the adults talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It's as bad a look as convincing half the planet they should lockdown for 15 days to slow the spread.  

It's as bad a look as telling people to wear 2 masks let alone 1.  

It's as bad a look as forcing people to get a vaccine that doesn't work or you're fired.  

It's as bad a look as this:

Edited by Big Blitz

It's oh so predictable.

I saw an alert about Secret Service deleted texts. My first thought: oh, here come the Trumpy conspiracy nuts! They'll say the Secret Service deleted texts showing that they conspired with that Ray Epps guy and his ilk to make Trump look bad.

Then I saw that the House Committee had requested the texts.

And suddenly it was the other way around - Secret Service covering up for Trump and Pence!

And it was our resident wingnuts deflecting: Benghazi! Stacy Abrams is fat and doesn't wear a mask!

Next up: Hunter Biden.

Look, this would be important information. We've seen reports that the Secret Service wanted to take Pence (in a back room at the Capitol trying to wait out the attack) somewhere in a car, and Pence said no; if you do that, he'd go far away and be unable to certify the election. So what they were talking about with regard to Pence is critical. Of course, Pence could tell us, but his bravery only goes so far as still wanting (in his own mind) to be a viable Presidential candidate will take him.

So ... yeah. Benghazi? Not good. Stacy Abrams? Still fat. Hunter Biden? Still a sleazy drug addict trying to cash in on Dad's status. And the attack on the Capitol? Still an attack, and still one that came remarkably close to working even though on paper it sounded like the script to Netflix's Money Heist - if Pence had gotten in that car, he wouldn't have been around to certify the election, and we would've had a real constitutional crisis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m not screaming at anyone, Deek.  My thought was the same as yours.  Politicians seem to have these lapses and accidental deletes all the time.  It seems it shouldn’t happen, but it does, sorta making it less “not a good look”, more an expected look more times than not. 

Sadly, the texts may well have provided context of the god-awful level of security that day. 

I wasn’t respond to you….but I’ve seen more and more on here lately. Everyone jumping into their trenches and opening fire in true trench warfare. We bypass the forest altogether and get lost in the trees and weeds. It’s right where the media and political class want us to be. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It was probably because they were personal and private about matters that they believed were within the scope of their personal privacy.

Government employees often have a separate phone for their work. I know a couple employees of the state who have a work-issued phone because everything they do for work is subject to FOIA. 

I do not know if the secret service has the same policy, but if cops and other state government employees have this, it wouldn’t surprise me if the secret service did too. 

However, I think the best course of action is to remain skeptical and keep an eye out for updates of an investigation into this.

• Agree 1

This is a bad look

U.S. Public Health Agencies Aren't ‘Following the Science,’ Officials Say

‘People are getting bad advice and we can’t say anything.’

The calls and text messages are relentless. On the other end are doctors and scientists at the top levels of the NIH, FDA and CDC. They are variously frustrated, exasperated and alarmed about the direction of the agencies to which they have devoted their careers.

“It's like a horror movie I'm being forced to watch and I can't close my eyes,” one senior FDA official lamented. “People are getting bad advice and we can’t say anything.”

That particular FDA doctor was referring to two recent developments inside the agency. First, how, with no solid clinical data, the agency authorized Covid vaccines for infants and toddlers, including those who already had Covid. And second, the fact that just months before, the FDA bypassed their external experts to authorize booster shots for young children.

That doctor is hardly alone.

At the NIH, doctors and scientists complain to us about low morale and lower staffing: The NIH’s Vaccine Research Center has had many of its senior scientists leave over the last year, including the director, deputy director and chief medical officer. “They have no leadership right now. Suddenly there’s an enormous number of jobs opening up at the highest level positions,” one NIH scientist told us. (The people who spoke to us would only agree to be quoted anonymously, citing fear of professional repercussions.) 

The CDC has experienced a similar exodus. “There’s been a large amount of turnover. Morale is low,” one high level official at the CDC told us. “Things have become so political, so what are we there for?” Another CDC scientist told us: “I used to be proud to tell people I work at the CDC. Now I’m embarrassed.”

Why are they embarrassed? In short, bad science. 

https://www.commonsense.news/p/us-public-health-agencies-arent-following

Embarrassed?

They should all say they really fear for our democracy and that January 6th just traumatized them.   

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

What aboutisms abound when you don't like the truth!

Demented Biden directed by whoever is running the Executive Branch to have the Secret Service delete data.  <Repeat The Line> What a mess.

Edited by Irv

9 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's oh so predictable.

I saw an alert about Secret Service deleted texts. My first thought: oh, here come the Trumpy conspiracy nuts! They'll say the Secret Service deleted texts showing that they conspired with that Ray Epps guy and his ilk to make Trump look bad.

Then I saw that the House Committee had requested the texts.

And suddenly it was the other way around - Secret Service covering up for Trump and Pence!

And it was our resident wingnuts deflecting: Benghazi! Stacy Abrams is fat and doesn't wear a mask!

Next up: Hunter Biden.

Look, this would be important information. We've seen reports that the Secret Service wanted to take Pence (in a back room at the Capitol trying to wait out the attack) somewhere in a car, and Pence said no; if you do that, he'd go far away and be unable to certify the election. So what they were talking about with regard to Pence is critical. Of course, Pence could tell us, but his bravery only goes so far as still wanting (in his own mind) to be a viable Presidential candidate will take him.

So ... yeah. Benghazi? Not good. Stacy Abrams? Still fat. Hunter Biden? Still a sleazy drug addict trying to cash in on Dad's status. And the attack on the Capitol? Still an attack, and still one that came remarkably close to working even though on paper it sounded like the script to Netflix's Money Heist - if Pence had gotten in that car, he wouldn't have been around to certify the election, and we would've had a real constitutional crisis. 

The texts could definitely hold important information, but I’m not certain how your speculation that there could be important info about Pence is anymore/less speculative than what other folks covered. 

I’m also not following you on Pence, refusing to flee and his Presidential aspirations.  If the story is correct, he’s one of the demonstrably brave people in the story. I’d think the Secret Service would want to protect him and move him off site during a riot.  That’s their job.  The declaration that he would not leave sounds as Presidential as one could hope for, other agenda-issues notwithstanding. 

There’s something for everyone here, that much is true. 

18 minutes ago, Irv said:

Demented Biden directed by whoever is running the Executive Branch to have the Secret Service delete data.  <Repeat Line> What a mess.  

This is completely speculative and unsubstantiated conspiracy-mongering. 

I’ll allow it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

leo my question would be if it could be determined wether said texts were deleted before or After they were officially requested. BIG difference. One means basically a clearing of text messages/account maintenance? The other means destroying evidence after the request.

From the OP

THE SECRET SERVICE erased text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, according to a letter given to the January 6 committee and reviewed by The Intercept. The letter was originally sent by the Department of Homeland Security Office of Inspector General to the House and Senate homeland security committeehough the Secret Service maintains that the text messages were lost as a result of a “device-replacement program,” the letter says the erasure took place shortly after oversight officials requested the agency’s electronic communications.s. 

*shrugs* in light of the total mistrust between political ides in our country this reads suspicious to me.

Edited by muppy

1 minute ago, muppy said:

leo my question would be if it could be determined wether said texts were deleted before or After they were officially requested. BIG difference. One means basically a clearing of text messages/account maintenance? The other means destroying evidence after the request.

*shrugs*

It’s not that simple. Electronic communications have made it really challenging for anyone involved in a court proceeding. I dare you to go back through all of your texts and emails over the last two years and see if there aren’t a whole bunch you really wouldn’t want anyone else to see. Go ahead…I’ll wait. And I’m also betting that none of the ones you don’t want revealed have anything to do with the actual court proceeding. Do people go back and delete texts and emails…you bet they do! Does it make them guilty of anything related to the case…no it doesn’t. 

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s not that simple. Electronic communications have made it really challenging for anyone involved in a court proceeding. I dare you to go back through all of your texts and emails over the last two years and see if there aren’t a whole bunch you really wouldn’t want anyone else to see. Go ahead…I’ll wait. And I’m also betting that none of the ones you don’t want revealed have anything to do with the actual court proceeding. Do people go back and delete texts and emails…you bet they do! Does it make them guilty of anything related to the case…no it doesn’t. 

I elaborated further and I always edit in more content so my apologies there. What about the alleged Timing of said deletions.....?

PS: Im the wrong person to ask about my texts. mine would be like go to taco tuesday and get me an adobada y pollo asado I doubt anybody cares about my dinner choices lol Im serious though . Maybe my life is just not as intriguing as other folks

Further: a government phone account is a different kettle of fish than muppys just sayin'. If it was a snafu Okay well yeah I guess. But it reads suspicious is all Im saying. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

I elaborated further and I always edit in more content so my apologies there. What about the alleged Timing of said deletions.....?

The same thing applies. People delete emails and texts all the time. It doesn’t, on its own, mean or indicate anything. I’m not saying it’s substantial or isn’t but do NOT simply accept or believe the stories you’re reading in the media, or from this committee. They are advancing a narrative. It’s their job. What’s unfortunate/purposeful is that they’ve acting like a Grand Jury (to use Tibs analogy) but doing it in public; not in private. 

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

From the OP

*shrugs* in light of the total mistrust between political ides in our country this reads suspicious to me.

Sure, I agree, but that doesn’t change the fact that it happens.  Mistakes happen.  Deliberate actions take place.  Coverups ensue.

You, as a Trump denier, will see it as suspicious.  Others, Supporters of The Trump, will see it as suspicious.  Folks in the middle will probably shake their heads, think it’s suspicious and say “It’s just government…”.  

In the end, we all push on. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, muppy said:

It's like as serious the Democrats thought it was when Hillary deleted her emails.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The same thing applies. People delete emails and texts all the time. It doesn’t, on its own, mean or indicate anything. I’m not saying it’s substantial or isn’t but do NOT simply accept or believe the stories you’re reading in the media, or from this committee. They are advancing a narrative. It’s their job. What’s unfortunate/purposeful is that they’ve acting like a Grand Jury (to use Tibs analogy) but doing it in public; not in private. 

advocating a narrative of course. Im not stupid. Im just trying to decide who is telling the TRUTH and being above board and honest. What a concept eh?

Edited by muppy

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sure, I agree, but that doesn’t change the fact that it happens.  Mistakes happen.  Deliberate actions take place.  Coverups ensue.

You, as a Trump denier, will see it as suspicious.  Others, Supporters of The Trump, will see it as suspicious.  Folks in the middle will probably shake their heads, think it’s suspicious and say “It’s just government…”.  

In the end, we all push on. 

people of different politicl persuasions share MUCH more in common than not. We all want good health wealth and happy families. The political divide does NOT lend itself to any gray areas in the media. Which is why I like reading the board....sometimes........lol

we WILL push on yes but it is just one more ember on the flames of distrust Leo just sayin'.........BOTH SIDES. I don't see our future an being particularly bright as far as our Adversarial political system to be honest.