Jump to content

Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]


 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

1) the driver of that dump truck will carry the burden for the rest of his life, even if he is 0% at fault.  I have heard the stories of locomotive engineers who had someone go around the gates and get struck by their train and die.  That's 0% the fault of the locomotive engineer - a big train doesn't even slow appreciably in the time between seeing someone and the train getting to the crossing - but they carry that for the rest of their lives.

2) on a restricted access highway where it's illegal to be a pedestrian, there is no way the dump truck driver is going to be found majorly at fault.  If he were proven to be speeding and distracted at the time, those would be contributing factors.

3) people can be remembered for their lives and accomplishments more than a final decision they made, even if it were a poor decision.

I agree with all of this. I have also even said, even if it was worse case scenario for Haskins (suicide, drugs, etc) it wouldn’t change anything. He’s still a human being that made a mistake. I just think it’s acceptable to talk about the why or the how. I’ve gotten attacked here for it, but that’s to be expected. It’s a sad situation all around. 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I agree with all of this. I have also even said, even if it was worse case scenario for Haskins (suicide, drugs, etc) it wouldn’t change anything. He’s still a human being that made a mistake. I just think it’s acceptable to talk about the why or the how. I’ve gotten attacked here for it, but that’s to be expected. It’s a sad situation all around. 

 

JMO, but I think how you're talking about the why/how vs. simply talking about it per se may have something to do with being 'attacked'. 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I agree with all of this. I have also even said, even if it was worse case scenario for Haskins (suicide, drugs, etc) it wouldn’t change anything. He’s still a human being that made a mistake. I just think it’s acceptable to talk about the why or the how. I’ve gotten attacked here for it, but that’s to be expected. It’s a sad situation all around. 

I promise you that you are not going to solve the why or the how from behind a keyboard. More details will come out eventually. Right now we have almost none, so speculating about what happened, or imagining what it would be like if Allen died, is beyond pointless. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

1) the driver of that dump truck will carry the burden for the rest of his life, even if he is 0% at fault.  I have heard the stories of locomotive engineers who had someone go around the gates and get struck by their train and die.  That's 0% the fault of the locomotive engineer - a big train doesn't even slow appreciably in the time between seeing someone and the train getting to the crossing - but they carry that for the rest of their lives.

2) on a restricted access highway where it's illegal to be a pedestrian, there is no way the dump truck driver is going to be found majorly at fault.  If he were proven to be speeding and distracted at the time, those would be contributing factors.

3) people can be remembered for their lives and accomplishments more than a final decision they made, even if it were a poor decision.

I would have to agree with number 1 on your list. My father was a truck driver and when I reached a certain age he told me he was in an accident that took another person's life.

 

He wasn't at fault and he showed me a letter written by someone in the family of the person he was in that accident with. To sum it up they didn't blame him and didn't want him to blame himself. 

 

Keeping that letter around for so long after it happened tells me he won't ever forget that moment in his life. To be honest I don't think the letter or the fact the other person was proven to be at fault made him feel any better about it. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Process said:

I promise you that you are not going to solve the why or the how from behind a keyboard. More details will come out eventually. Right now we have almost none, so speculating about what happened, or imagining what it would be like if Allen died, is beyond pointless. 

 

Look into OSINT investigation. 

 

Large percentages of crimes are beginning to be solved behind a keyboard. Lots of data sets out there to be mined by very talented people that have nothing to do with law enforcement. 

 

Google "4chan Shia Labeauf Flag" for an amazing example of how crowdsourced investigation by talented people can outperform law enforcement. 

 

"Let the pros do their job" is starting to be outdated as time goes on. 

  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

These are disgusting comments by Gil Brandt. Shameful.

 

 

Christ on a crutch. That's too much. Tell that story to other old guys at the bar if you have to, don't put that shite out into the world. 24 year old kid dead. Tragedy. End of. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, billsintaiwan said:

Christ on a crutch. That's too much. Tell that story to other old guys at the bar if you have to, don't put that shite out into the world. 24 year old kid dead. Tragedy. End of. 


Yeah I agree that was disgusting and disgraceful. I don’t care if he’s 190 years old those comments are insane about a young man at 24 tragically loses his life. We should never hear another word from Brandt again. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

 

Look into OSINT investigation. 

 

Large percentages of crimes are beginning to be solved behind a keyboard. Lots of data sets out there to be mined by very talented people that have nothing to do with law enforcement. 

 

Google "4chan Shia Labeauf Flag" for an amazing example of how crowdsourced investigation by talented people can outperform law enforcement. 

 

"Let the pros do their job" is starting to be outdated as time goes on. 

Isn't that how the guy who wasn't the Boston Bomber got harassed?

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

 

Look into OSINT investigation. 

 

Large percentages of crimes are beginning to be solved behind a keyboard. Lots of data sets out there to be mined by very talented people that have nothing to do with law enforcement. 

 

Google "4chan Shia Labeauf Flag" for an amazing example of how crowdsourced investigation by talented people can outperform law enforcement. 

 

"Let the pros do their job" is starting to be outdated as time goes on. 


because that’s what was happening here…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, wppete said:


Yeah I agree that was disgusting and disgraceful. I don’t care if he’s 190 years old those comments are insane about a young man at 24 tragically loses his life. We should never hear another word from Brandt again. 


I think his age may be very relevant as I’ve seen commentary that he’s been in substantial mental decline.

 

I can’t say I’ve listened to him meaningfully to have an opinion but it was striking comment to be shared. Just like granting Haskins some humanity, we may later think back similarly on Brandt.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wppete said:


Yeah I agree that was disgusting and disgraceful. I don’t care if he’s 190 years old those comments are insane about a young man at 24 tragically loses his life. We should never hear another word from Brandt again. 

It could also be that elderly people sometimes have no filter, and will say exactly what they are thinking without considering the context of the situation or whether it is tone deaf, and also may not have the awareness of how quickly something can go viral now.

 

i think it was an error in judgment to still have him doing media at this point. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It could also be that elderly people sometimes have no filter, and will say exactly what they are thinking without considering the context of the situation or whether it is tone deaf, and also may not have the awareness of how quickly something can go viral now.

 

i think it was an error in judgment to still have him doing media at this point. 


Well if that’s the case he should be off air and not allowed to comment on such serious topics like the tragic death of a young man. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I don't think you need to be a genius to realize that Not trying to cross a busy restricted-access interstate would have prevented this accident.   Haskins may have had individual reasons that seemed good to him at the time, but individual reasons are too...individual to be generally useful as an accident prevention strategy.

a while back a friend from church called hubby and said she was broke down on the interstate and needed anti-freeze. When we did find her it was on an exit ramp 2 lanes exiting onto a different freeway we on the right shoulder and cars were wizzing on our left ... it scared the crap out of me WOOSH the car shook OMG.they did NOT slow down we were sitting ducks.....hubby was on the shoulder trying to help this lady...eventually we called the police AND Triple A...but until they arrived I was Praying we wouldnt get creamed b y some other car.

 

my story relates to mr haskins because the margin for error was pretty tight. tighter than I would have wanted it. In mr Haskins situation  He may have been checking on his car I mean it is at lease one plausible scenario....

 

Today on a local socal freeway (that is including the carpool lanes 7 lanes across) the traffic warning signs with flashing lights wrote "Look out for Pedestrians" Today the issue is given full awarenesss. THAT in itself should help prevent this type of accident again.....hopefully

 

@IronMaidenBills if there were 2 things I can say that may have helped prevent this accident is definitely

 

!. Have your cell phone in  car while driving at all times...and use it to call police and AAA if stuck on a freeway

2.  If you are broken down on a highway STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE

 

It was an accident mate.  its freaking tragic. we may never know all the full details. God Bless you brother

 

m

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Why do you guys disagree with it? So no blame gets placed, nobody dives into the what went wrong and then what? We keep repeating the mistakes so more tragic incidents like this can keep happening? Is that what you guys want? I know these things are difficult to talk about, and it makes people uncomfortable that making bad decisions can lead to others being involved in tragedy. But that’s just the way it is. 

 

You seem like you're pretty young.

 

7 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

So then tell me exactly what happened to cause this so we can fix it.

 

Oh wait - YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT CAUSED IT - you can’t fix it without understanding the situation and you can’t understand it if you keep making up situations that do not fit the data.

 

Let them do their job and then we can assess what happened and if a fix is needed.  Sometimes a bad decision is a bad decision and sometimes it feels like the only decision in a given situation.  Just wait for the facts.

 

3 hours ago, Process said:

I promise you that you are not going to solve the why or the how from behind a keyboard. More details will come out eventually. Right now we have almost none, so speculating about what happened, or imagining what it would be like if Allen died, is beyond pointless. 

 

You guys are 100% correct... knowing what caused Haskins' death won't fix anything.

 

People still pull out of the mall parking lot with their baby in the infant carrier on the car roof.

 

People still leave their pets in the car with the windows closed on 90 degree days.

 

Knowing what caused Haskins' death won't save a single life. That's not how the world works. I'm sure he was told as a kid to look both ways before he crossed the street.

 

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think his age may be very relevant as I’ve seen commentary that he’s been in substantial mental decline.

 

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

 

Minimize great stuff you don't know anything about to a few isolated incidents of which idiots were involved.  

 

Reminder of why I try to avoid this place. 

 

Agree lots of morons on this board. But that's what these boards seem to attract. Wonder why the smart guys don't post here much? 


It’s perfectly fine to engage in the type of analysis you’re talking about here. But when people start floating rationales like suicide, drug and/or alcohol use as factors in this based on absolutely no currently available evidence, then they just sound sensationalist and ignorant, on top of being incredibly disrespectful.

 

Just have some tact when addressing these things. It’s not that hard.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...