Dwayne Haskins killed [Edit: struck by vehicle]

FireChans

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I would be curious to hear the context of this— because if he said this, as reported, it is truly horrible.

edit: so Brandt apparently is 90 years old and sounded half senile. Not sure he knows what he is saying generally anymore.

If "half senile...not sure he knows what he's saying" is the legit explanation for saying dick stuff about a young guy who just died tragically, then maybe his audience should be restricted to the line for the Early Bird Senior Discount at Golden Corral, not national broadcasts.

Just sayin'.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The cnn article I read said he was “walking” on the highway and then decided to cross the highway. How far away from his car was he? 
The biggest question is, if he was walking on the shoulder (presumably) why did he decide to cross it to the other side? 

I wonder if the reporting is a bit inaccurate here. 595 is a major highway with a feeder roadway on both sides. There is no walking anywhere near the highway portion. It's elevated in many points and has ~50mph roadways on both sides. It's ridiculous to think someone would be walking anywhere remotely close to this highway unless it was a broken down car. 

That said those feeder roads (84) have pathways on the sides of them for bikers and such. It's definitely possible he got hit on 84 and not 595.

14 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The cnn article I read said he was “walking” on the highway and then decided to cross the highway. How far away from his car was he? 
The biggest question is, if he was walking on the shoulder (presumably) why did he decide to cross it to the other side? 

5 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I wonder if the reporting is a bit inaccurate here. 595 is a major highway with a feeder roadway on both sides. There is no walking anywhere near the highway portion. It's elevated in many points and has ~50mph roadways on both sides. It's ridiculous to think someone would be walking anywhere remotely close to this highway unless it was a broken down car. 

That said those feeder roads (84) have pathways on the sides of them for bikers and such. It's definitely possible he got hit on 84 and not 595.

I think we're gonna have to wait until better (meaning more definitive) news emerges from the investigation. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

“Walking on the road for unknown reasons”

Only sane reason to be would be a broken down car, but even then, I would never walk near the shoulder, not from my lifetime experience with drivers and videos that have circulated. You call for a tow, or AAA, or the police. 
Either way it’s tragic, I’m just trying to make sense out of it. Even if it truly meant suicide. There is no harm in trying to know the facts so we can learn from it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/09/sport/dwayne-haskins-steelers-death-spt-intl/index.html

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If "half senile...not sure he knows what he's saying" is the legit explanation for saying dick stuff about a young guy who just died tragically, then maybe his audience should be restricted to the line for the Early Bird Senior Discount at Golden Corral, not national broadcasts.

Just sayin'.

I suspect going forward it will be, and looking back it should have been. Seeing a few folks chiming in that he has been legitimately unwell for a bit here but folks were profiting off him still. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we're gonna have to wait until better news emerges from the investigation. 

Politics aside, it’s a major news network. If they are wrong, I hope they correct it. But currently it’s reported that he was willfully walking along the highway and decided to walk across it. For whatever reason we can only guess. 

6 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

would a reasonable guess be that he was trying to get to one of those safer paths after car trouble? “If I can cross here it’s risky for a minute but much safer the rest of the way” type of situation 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

“Walking on the road for unknown reasons”

Only sane reason to be would be a broken down car, but even then, I would never walk near the shoulder, not from my lifetime experience with drivers and videos that have circulated. You call for a tow, or AAA, or the police. 
Either way it’s tragic, I’m just trying to make sense out of it. Even if it truly meant suicide. There is no harm in trying to know the facts so we can learn from it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/09/sport/dwayne-haskins-steelers-death-spt-intl/index.html

No doubt. Just given how familiar I am with this highway (it's my work commute) it's absolutly crazy to me to think of how (besides a broken down car) a man would come to crossing this highway. With an express lane in the middle too! It's crazy!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Politics aside, it’s a major news network. If they are wrong, I hope they correct it. But currently it’s reported that he was willfully walking along the highway and decided to walk across it. For whatever reason we can only guess. 

Unfortunately in this day and age, major news networks are not immune to pulling the trigger on reporting information that proves to be incorrect.

Not saying this is, but just like the first reports on fantastical NFL contracts, it's reasonable to expect there will be second takes.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

yeah, most English speaking people are never involved in car accidents.

They 'speak english very dangerous'?   And you criticize others English skills.

Dude you have no idea what you're talking about I'm just saying I lived in very very South Florida for a number of years and there are a lot of illegal drivers down there that's all I'm saying if you can't grasp that then tough beans.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I know that freeway area by the FLL airport. I have no clue why anybody would be there on foot. 

Not petty. Totally normal to be wary of that from a supposed leader. 

It’s in the same vein of unprofessionalism that he’s levying criticism for. If he’s genuinely upset with schefter for it, a much better approach would be to tell the story of those more meaningful pieces. put the focus back on the good in Haskins that you believe today should be about instead of centering the story on bickering over tweets. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

No doubt. Just given how familiar I am with this highway (it's my work commute) it's absolutly crazy to me to think of how (besides a broken down car) a man would come to crossing this highway. With an express lane in the middle too! It's crazy!

What I don’t understand is, even if the car was broken down, why would you attempted to cross it onto oncoming traffic? Wouldn’t you want to walk to the nearest exit? Parents? Friends? I don’t understand. 

9 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

would a reasonable guess be that he was trying to get to one of those safer paths after car trouble? “If I can cross here it’s risky for a minute but much safer the rest of the way” type of situation 

Maybe. And and it's actually 2 express lanes in the middle. So 2 express lanes, maybe 5-6 highway lanes on each side at points, plus 2-3 lanes on each side for 84. Madness. Maybe broke down on the highway and couldn't get to the side. I can't imagine

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

What I don’t understand is, even if the car was broken down, why would you attempted to cross it onto oncoming traffic? Wouldn’t you want to walk to the nearest exit? Parents? Friends? I don’t understand. 

I mean, I think you can create some sort of simple narrative where sitting on the shoulder is also very unsafe, but you might not have a way to get off the shoulder nearby on your side so a guy might roll the dice to cross.

It’s not so incredibly unbelievable someone might do the math that way (not that we know that’s what happened) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.