Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

The team to worry about is the Bears. Vikings don’t have much cap and the Pats have some, but do have a bunch of holes on their roster. Bears are sitting on like 30 million. So to me, they are the team to watch. 

Also, the Browns releasing JC Tretter actually helps us as he trumps Bates a bit. 

22 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

This is so stupid that we have to go through this...of course, I wouldn’t mind if we had a 2nd round pick coming back...And I’m sure other teams would think twice about going after him...

And there would be complaints about paying that much to a player who started so few games "riding on the bench"; many of complainers would be same people.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

And there would be complaints about paying that much to a player who started so few games "riding on the bench"; many of complainers would be same people.

Who cares if there’s complaints?   Surely hope the GM doesn’t 

I would love to retain Bates. I’d also like to know why it took the coaching staff so long to give him a shot as a starter. They went with Feliciano, Ford, and Boettger all before rolling with Bates. Was he just not showing it in practice? When he got in there he definitely seemed to play a lot better than all the dudes he was behind at one point. I did read that he has been adamant about making center his main position. So I don’t know if they viewed him strictly as the backup center and didn’t want him at guard in case something happened with Morse? But they also had Feliciano who could fill in at center and it’s not like they don’t shuffle their OL around all the time so yeah, I dunno. Also, if he was as solid as we all believe him to be you’d think Beane would’ve put the higher tender on him, even if they were up against the cap because the money wasn’t all that much more. 

Hope they can keep him but if they can’t then I’ll still be trusting the ol’ process. 

11 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I would love to retain Bates. I’d also like to know why it took the coaching staff so long to give him a shot as a starter. They went with Feliciano, Ford, and Boettger all before rolling with Bates. Was he just not showing it in practice? When he got in there he definitely seemed to play a lot better than all the dudes he was behind at one point. I did read that he has been adamant about making center his main position. So I don’t know if they viewed him strictly as the backup center and didn’t want him at guard in case something happened with Morse? But they also had Feliciano who could fill in at center and it’s not like they don’t shuffle their OL around all the time so yeah, I dunno. Also, if he was as solid as we all believe him to be you’d think Beane would’ve put the higher tender on him, even if they were up against the cap because the money wasn’t all that much more. 

Hope they can keep him but if they can’t then I’ll still be trusting the ol’ process. 

Lord knows, but I’m sure it’s related to Bobby Johnson no longer being a member of the coaching staff….

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I think a number of things kept Bates on the bench. First off, this regime is very loyal to the players, sometimes to a fault. Think about how spotty Gabe Davis’ playing time has been. The dude has made a huge impact in a low amount of snaps.

Feliciano was a Bobby Johnson guy Daryl Williams was a McBeane guy. Also, I think they became enamored with Ike Boettger after the Chiefs claimed him. Once they knew the Chiefs wanted him, I think they just felt like they had a steal. That and Cody Ford is what cost us Wyatt Teller.  Now if it were me, I would have started Bates and LG and Boettger at RG to start the year. But we never saw that becauce Bates really didn’t get his shot until 100 people had Covid and Boettger got hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I would love to retain Bates. I’d also like to know why it took the coaching staff so long to give him a shot as a starter. They went with Feliciano, Ford, and Boettger all before rolling with Bates. Was he just not showing it in practice?

I think there is something to "he's the back up Center" and they felt the Guards and Bates were close enough just leave Bates be.

Now I'm curious how many team's backup centers start at Guard.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Stay home Rick, its all about winning a championship right ??

Take care of family first. Championship is not a given, the $ is. Now if he were a vet who already made a ton of $ that's a different story.

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The team to worry about is the Bears. Vikings don’t have much cap and the Pats have some, but do have a bunch of holes on their roster. Bears are sitting on like 30 million. So to me, they are the team to watch. 

Also, the Browns releasing JC Tretter actually helps us as he trumps Bates a bit. 

Isn’t Tretter a C?

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he is the best guard left for sure. I am not sure if he gets 5 million. I was thinking in the 4s. And my guess is that he isn’t a Giant because he isn’t a Bobby Johnson guy as evidence that he rode the pine so long, and clearly is better than the guys he was sitting behind.  

That’s my point. Bills simply match . Bates will be a Bill next year. Beane is smart. 

5 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Would be a no for me.   At $5mm per year Gates would be in top 50% of league by position.  Can't see someone giving him this on 5 games worth of film. 

Bills could have assured a 2nd rd pick by offering him $4mm and chose not to.  Have to believe that OBD feels confident they can keep him at a cost acceptable to them.  

Exactly my point. This is why Beane is a Wizard.