Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

56 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

the devil is in the details. the Patriots could  steal him from us by front loading a contract and making him easy to cut at a later date. basically siggning him to a contract which ensures the Bills cannot match year 1 this year due to our tight cap. Year 1 is extremely high but the rest of the contract is nil beyond this year making him easy to cut if he does not pan out but more importantly making it impossible for us to match.

at that point our only opportunity is to offer a longer contract.

Nice to see you back, it's been awhile.

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

If somebody makes a big offer, the bills can match or trade. They lost Chris Hogan to the patriots under similar circumstances. 

Who was the rb they poached from us around same time. Had a chitt ton of tds for us. Can't remember his name but our world was falling down about it 😆

5 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Who was the rb they poached from us around same time. Had a chitt ton of tds for us. Can't remember his name but our world was falling down about it 😆

Gilllislie (not sure of spelling)

34 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Mike Gllislee?

Edited by AuntieEm

5 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

For the Patriots, it's kind of a win win.  Either they end up with Bates, or they perhaps force Buffalo to spend more cap dollars than they hope to.

But in reality, it accomplished nothing as we’re going to kick their heads in every year for the next 10 years 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Not 100% true.  He could sign the Tender, and then these visits even stop.  But in theory Bills could say if you find an offer somewhere before signing let us know the numbers, then sign your tender and we will trade you there.

Yep for 1.5M more could have tendered at the 2nd round level.  That should tell people the value the Bills really put on Bates.

Yes!  Not so much of a run blocker.  Kromer, Saffold suggest perhaps somewhat of a change in direction.  

5 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Damn, Bates is gone.  Pats have plenty of cap space and just lost/traded away both their starting guards.  Minnesota didn't have a lot of room wasn't as worried there, but NE will make an offer Bills can't match. 

Oh well, not too concerned.  We have Saffold at LG, and then it will be between Ford/rookie for the RG spot.

The Bills show on the "books" right now as having $16.9M cap with 5 contracts not yet "on the books" at OTC

The Patriots show on the "books" right now as having$12.1M  with 4 contracts not yet "on the books" at OTC.  I don't know how those contracts compare in cap hit for this year, but the point is, I don't think one can tell what the cap situation really is right now.

Bates has until April 22 to receive qualifying offers and let the Bills match.

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

It's a shame Beane and McD didn't put more of a priority on keeping  arguably our most versatile O lineman. Let's hope they don't have to match some outrageous contract.

An undrafted free agent who has 7 starts in 3 seasons is not gonna get an outrageous contract regardless his versatility

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

An undrafted free agent who has 7 starts in 3 seasons is not gonna get an outrageous contract regardless his versatility

Oh yeah! Well Jimmy Garoppallo says, Hold my Beer!

Apples and Oranges I know..😋

Edited by billsbackto81

This is currently the scariest thread.  Every time I click I’m like Look Looking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePantsafraid of possible bad news. Losing Bates was not part of this offseason plan imo. If we lose him, they’ll be kicking themselves for that tender. 

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

This is currently the scariest thread.  Every time I click I’m like Look Looking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePantsafraid of possible bad news. Losing Bates was not part of this offseason plan imo. If we lose him, they’ll be kicking themselves for that tender. 

I mean in Bean's presser he said that if a team offers him Bills have like a week to match.