Nothing on Day 1, yet….but plenty of free agents remain - UPDATE : BEAN WORKING LATE & KILLING IT !

Desert Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We signed some good players. 

People had very unrealistic expectations prior to the start of FA like this was a Madden football game.  

Yup. Looks like we’re done to me. Not sure what else people were expecting.

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We have seemed to miss on 1st and 2nd round players. We can’t do that and expect to win the super bowl. AJ Epenesa disappointed last year and Ford has been an utter failure. 

Huh?  No disrespect, but I am stunned by this statement.

2017 - Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Zay Jones

2018 - Josh Allen, Edmunds

2019 - Ed Oliver and Cody Ford

2020 - Diggs and AJE

2021 - Groot and Basham

In 5 drafts, 4 of them with Beane and one just McD we have used 11 picks in first 2 rounds to draft or trade (Diggs) for a player.  Of those 11 players, we have only officially "missed" on 2 as of now...Zay and Ford (he could bounce back under Kromer, but hes a miss as of now).  AJE, Groot, and Basham are still up in the air, this will be the year to know what we got in them, they are also the 3 newest to the NFL and team.  

Of the 11, we have an MVP level QB, a first team all pro CB, a multiple pro bowl MLB, a pro bowl LT, an emerging DT who just had his best season, and a beast WR who is top 3 in the NFL.  

So how do we seem to miss with our 1st and 2nd rounders?  I mean I see other people say this, and its like they only remember the one or two that didnt work out, and forget about the entire heart and soul of this team that was drafted in those first 2 rounds.

I bet you would have a really hard time finding another GM with that kind of track record over the last 5 years.  

I think Calais Campbell and Jason Pierre Paul could be good additions if they came at minimal contracts off of down years. At the very least they could be good mentors for Rousseau with how both dominated with their length during their prime.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Explain how this is a thing to a team that barely runs the ball?

I'd consider it if it helped prolong Josh Allen's career.  I don't know how much longer they can keep relying on him to be a major part of their rushing attack.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  No disrespect, but I am stunned by this statement.

2017 - Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Zay Jones

2018 - Josh Allen, Edmunds

2019 - Ed Oliver and Cody Ford

2020 - Diggs and AJE

2021 - Groot and Basham

In 5 drafts, 4 of them with Beane and one just McD we have used 11 picks in first 2 rounds to draft or trade (Diggs) for a player.  Of those 11 players, we have only officially "missed" on 2 as of now...Zay and Ford (he could bounce back under Kromer, but hes a miss as of now).  AJE, Groot, and Basham are still up in the air, this will be the year to know what we got in them, they are also the 3 newest to the NFL and team.  

Of the 11, we have an MVP level QB, a first team all pro CB, a multiple pro bowl MLB, a pro bowl LT, an emerging DT who just had his best season, and a beast WR who is top 3 in the NFL.  

So how do we seem to miss with our 1st and 2nd rounders?  I mean I see other people say this, and its like they only remember the one or two that didnt work out, and forget about the entire heart and soul of this team that was drafted in those first 2 rounds.

I bet you would have a really hard time finding another GM with that kind of track record over the last 5 years.  

Edmunds and Basham are likely going to be misses. Still undecided on Rousseau although I do hold out hope for him. 

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I said at the very beginning of this that I expect status quo.

- We dont have cap space

- We have a almost completely filled out roster (on a top 5 NFL team)

- Beane has NEVER shown himself to be a guy to go on spending sprees on name free agents

- Its worked well so far

Literally every position on the field could be upgraded besides Allen. 

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Edmunds and Basham are likely going to be misses. Still undecided on Rousseau although I do hold out hope for him. 

Sorry, but a 2 time Pro Bowl MLB is not a miss under any description of any kind.  You may not like him, but no GM in the NFL would look at Edmunds and what we have gotten out him as a "miss".  4 year starter out of college, leads team in tackles, 5th in the NFL in tackles since entering the league, and 2 pro bowls.  

Fans can debate all they want about whether he is worth extending or not, but by no sense of the definition is he a "miss".  

To call Basham a likely miss is quite premature, especially since in limited snaps he showed some promise last year.  But lets say he does become a miss, that would only be 3 misses in 11 players drafted or acquired in 5 years with first and 2nd round picks.  

Again, I laid out the actual track record.  There is not a team and football who wouldn't jump all over that track record and take it in a heart beat.  We have literally put a top 3 QB, top 3 CB, and top 3 WR on the field with those picks.  Multiple pro bowlers besides those 3 and still have some young promising guys developing with exciting potential too.  

So, yeah...your suggestion they tend to "miss" on first and 2nd round picks is completely off base.  Again, I mean no disrespect, just stunned anyone could even begin to suggest we cant draft in the first 2 rounds with that kind of track record.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Literally every position on the field could be upgraded besides Allen. 

I mean just stop and think about what you are saying.......and then compare it to the rest of the teams in the NFL

This team has been TOP FIVE IN THE NFL

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'd consider it if it helped prolong Josh Allen's career.  I don't know how much longer they can keep relying on him to be a major part of their rushing attack.

If we want to pro long Allen's career then improve the OL play in front of him....just inserting Bates into that lineup picked up our running game

14 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

OJ Simpson and Thurman Thomas disagree. It’s only stupid taking a RB that high if his talent sucks. 

How much do we run the ball now compared to those teams....go ahead....look it up

And Thurmal was a 2nd round pick

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If we want to pro long Allen's career then improve the OL play in front of him....just inserting Bates into that lineup picked up our running game

That would certainly help, but they need to divert some of those runs by Allen to the RBs,  too,  whether that's the guys on the roster or someone else.  I'm not saying that they have to draft a RB in the first or anything,  but I'd at least kick the tires if there were an upgrade available. 

• Desert Bills Fan changed the title to Nothing on Day 1, yet….but plenty of free agents remain - UPDATE : BEAN WORKING LATE & KILLING IT !
2 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

IF by "busting the cap" you mean he paid a franchise QB coming off his rookie contract that HE drafted..then yeah we are on the same page.

Actually, I didn’t mean it as a negative, just we have to wait until money gets moved around, and it did with the Miller signing somehow.

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Cole Beasley is not an A player, he is a B player. Beasley was nothing before Allen made his serviceable. 

That's take is pretty hot.  The only real difference between Dallas and his first couple years in Buffalo is number of targets.  

Edited by CoudyBills
Clean it up
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hit pro-football-reference and evaluate this statement as "Verified".

I hit it as well and see his take as meh.  The production in 2020 is the outlier.  The biggest difference is the amount of targets.  Everything else was close in Dallas, he wasn't target 100 times a year there.

Totally misread your response Hap...

Edited by CoudyBills
Thought we disagreed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.