DT DaQuan Jones to Buffalo, $3.58M cap this year

BillsMafi$

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think Saffold is probably even now a better guard than what we fielded last year.... just for me that is a really low bar. Williams as a tackle moved inside for conveniencebecause the other RG options blew chunks, Bates who played okay down the stretch, Ike who was serviceable and Cody who sucked. I thought interior oline was the biggest weakness on the team and while there is a price at which I'd take Saffold as an upgrade jumping on him so soon makes me think the price will be too high for the level of upgrade he is. 

I like the two DTs. They are both good players who fit the scheme. 

FIFY (also don't forget Feliciano who was not playing well before his injury)

I think there's reason to believe Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown could be an improvement on Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Williams-Brown or Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Williams-Brown.  And of course, both those lines were improvements on Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Williams.

We'll see what the contract for Saffold is.  It's possible, between him raving about the knowledgeable training/S&C staff, the amazing training facilities, and Aaron Kromer, that Saffold had non-monetary motivations to choose Buffalo.  But until we see the contract, we won't know.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's totally understandable not to want to re-type an entire evaluation, but could you link the post where you provided it?

I ask because I actually was curious (and respecting of your views) enough to search for it, and this is the only post by you mentioning Saffold that I could find:

"I want to stop bringing in older mid tier guys and try and get 1 or 2 guys who make an impact." isn't much of an evaluation. 

Saffold is 3 years older than Norwell, but Saffold did go to the probowl last year (for what that's worth) while Norwell took a paycut to stay on the Jaguar's roster in 2021, and it's not like the Jags OL did a great job with .... well, anything, last year.

Again, totally not a problem to refer to your previous evaluation of Saffold, but I did search and this is the only post after last fall, where you corrected a misapprehension about who started on OL for Tenn when we played them.

There you go. It was in the thread about him so I never needed to refer to him by name hence it wouldn't come up in your search.

I wouldn't say it was an evaluation more just an opinion. If you want more meat on the bones I think he is a bad pass protector and kind of always has been. His feet are slow, he knows that so he ends up lunging where a player with better feet could adjust on the fly in his pass sets. He gets beaten by twists and defensive ends who loop inside into the B gap way too often and once he is beaten he has basically no recovery ability. He has been an effective run blocker ever since a move into guard after failing at both tackle spots saved his career with the Rams. But I have just never seen it. To me he has always been overrated. I didn't like the deal Tennessee gave him. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FIFY (also don't forget Feliciano who was not playing well before his injury)

I think there's reason to believe Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown could be an improvement on Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Williams-Brown or Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Williams-Brown.  And of course, both those lines were improvements on Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Ford-Williams.

We'll see what the contract for Saffold is.  It's possible, between him raving about the knowledgeable training/S&C staff, the amazing training facilities, and Aaron Kromer, that Saffold had non-monetary motivations to choose Buffalo.  But until we see the contract, we won't know.

Correct. Both on forgetting Feliciano and on the chance it is an upgrade. I just don't think it is a very big one. As the post just linked for a week ago said if he had sat out there and I thought we were getting him as a cheap dust settle guy I wouldn't be against it. As our main vet solution at guard it is a very meh move for me.

• Agree 1

Just now, Process said:

That's.... A lot

Indeed.

Looks like adding a dependable double team splitting, space eating, two-gapping 1T was a high priority.

In terms of the ripple effect it will have on Ed Oliver and our young edge guys, I can understand why.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

A little confused about this deal. Did Harry just want to go or is this guy actually better? 

Well....he's more durable (has played every game the last 4 years) while playing close to 60% of the snaps

In terms of production (not that that's paramount at 1TDT) they're similar, Harry has a few more TFL and tackles.

I'm gonna guess that the sticking point might be guaranteed money, given Phillips track record on durability (missing significant time 3 out of 4 years)

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This real or is this pretend like the initial McKenzie numbers?

I think the initial McKenzie #s were a mistake by Schefter, but one does wonder if there's some padding in there.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Indeed.

Looks like adding a dependable double team splitting, space eating, two-gapping 1T was a high priority.

In terms of the ripple effect it will have on Ed Oliver and our young edge guys, I can understand why.

Zomg wtf…..

Brandon Beane…..what are you thinking?  Maybe he looked at his pff pass rush rating? 

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

That's.... A lot

Hopefully the majority of those "guaranteed" dollars are actually contingent on being on the roster at the beginning of the league year in 2023..........basically an opt out if he doesn't dominate(which he likely won't).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.