Jump to content

Surprised not hearing more Bills restructures/cuts


jahnyc
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Because that provides the team with less flexibility in the future.

Teams have only one starting RT, but 2 starting guards. RT's make more money on average. Average salary for a RT is $5 million. Average salary for a guard is $2.4 million.

 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

I'd argue that might be twisting it a bit. I do see your point, but right tackle is only one roster spot. Meaning when you get down to #16, you're at the middle of the league's starters.

 

Guard is two roster spots, left and right, so when you get down to #16, you're still in the top 25% of starters.

 

Comparing RTs with your choice of RG or LG would be fairer. But a pain in the butt as I don't know how anyone would find guards listed in those categories without going person by person, which would be take a lot of time.

 

EDIT: Ah, already mentioned above.

 

 

 

As for Williams, you could certainly be right. I'm not convinced. I don't think he's playing up to his contract, and I think this could go either way. I could see them keeping him, or asking him to take a cut or take off. If you save $6.75M by cutting him, which is what it seemed to me, and if $4.35M of this year's salary guarantees on 3/20, it's something they'll probably consider.

 

We should know what they do very soon. If he's on the roster on the 21st, he'll likely be here for the year.


 

I totally get what you are saying, but he is paid at the 10th spot for RT - upper third.  When we get to guards he is in a pack around 15th - so even with 2 starting guards - he was our higher paid and at just a slightly higher spot than as a tackle.  It is not like he was the 15th RT and 10th guard where he is suddenly out of scale.

 

Does he live up to the contract - probably not after year 1, but he is/was starter level and as is the case throughout the league - salary is driven by when you become a FA as much as talent.  
 

They need starting level players and his flexibility is a huge plus as he stepped up and moved to tackle as needed through Covid, injury, missed time.  
 

What I look for is who else are they going after and what impact does that have.  I could see him do a restructure for more guaranteed money, but I do not want them creating a new hole to fill that saves them little money once replacement costs and dead money gets figured in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

They won't do a restructure until they actually need to the money. If they don't sign anyone, wouldn't be wise to restructure.

I do not know the exact timing of by when a team needs to be under the cap (weekly? Monthly? Constantly?) , but it makes sense that once you sign a contract which puts you over the cap, you have a certain amount of time to get back under it?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am surprised that there has not been more information coming out about restructurings of current contracts with certain players (i.e., Morse, Dawkins, etc.), cuts or salary reductions (Beasley, Williams, others as possibilities), extensions (i.e. Diggs) or even tenders to restricted free agents (i.e,. Bates).  Maybe there haven't been any restructures other than the ones reported so far, but that would be odd to me given the rumors of the Bills' interest in a number of free agents and associated need for cap room.  Same with possible cuts.  I thought the Bills would extend Diggs to get more cap space, but Beane said there have not been conversations about this.

 

I would understand the hesitancy to restructure White's contract given his injury, but there are a number of other contracts that could be restructured freeing up cap space.  Will be interesting to see if there have been restructures or reductions in salary that have not been reported yet.  There also were a lot of rumors that Morse was going to retire.  I assume that he would have decided by now if he was going to do so.  As for additional cuts, I would have thought the Bills would make them before the start of free agency to give the players the best opportunity to find employment with another team.


have you been paying attention these past few years?

 

nothing comes out of OBD until the ink is dry 

 

Well ok. Maybe 1 or 2 

 

Revisiting Diggs contract 

Getting Speed at WR

But that may be a given for any contact older than 2 years 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am surprised that there has not been more information coming out about restructurings of current contracts with certain players (i.e., Morse, Dawkins, etc.), cuts or salary reductions (Beasley, Williams, others as possibilities), extensions (i.e. Diggs) or even tenders to restricted free agents (i.e,. Bates).  Maybe there haven't been any restructures other than the ones reported so far, but that would be odd to me given the rumors of the Bills' interest in a number of free agents and associated need for cap room.  Same with possible cuts.  I thought the Bills would extend Diggs to get more cap space, but Beane said there have not been conversations about this.

 

I would understand the hesitancy to restructure White's contract given his injury, but there are a number of other contracts that could be restructured freeing up cap space.  Will be interesting to see if there have been restructures or reductions in salary that have not been reported yet.  There also were a lot of rumors that Morse was going to retire.  I assume that he would have decided by now if he was going to do so.  As for additional cuts, I would have thought the Bills would make them before the start of free agency to give the players the best opportunity to find employment with another team.

Maybe Beane is going to do nothing and all these rumours of Bills looking sign various players turn out to be a nothing burger. If that is true it would be a huge mistake because Bills do not have enough talent/play makers on defensive side of the ball. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Maybe Beane is going to do nothing and all these rumours of Bills looking sign various players turn out to be a nothing burger. If that is true it would be a huge mistake because Bills do not have enough talent/play makers on defensive side of the ball. 

 

Beane has many times that he prefers to build thru the draft and then resign our own players. Sure he will look at FA but the draft is where this team will continue to be built according to him. The Bills might sign a player or two but I don't expect them to be major players in FA. It's not Beane's style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, eee1776 said:

Did I hear right that Steve Tasker said Matt Milano was released on The Cris and Steve show? The look on Cris Browns face is like that news is not out yet.

You could make an argument that he overpaid Milano but no way are the Bills letting him go.  That makes no cap sense,  Milano is a good but not great player who I said last season was worth 6-8 million tops.  Those who think he is worth more show me all the big plays he makes in big games against good QB'S. Right now I could see them cutting ties through a trade with Edmunds who will be making 12 mil and expect and extension paying him even more.  That would be a huge cap mistake.

  • Eyeroll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

 

Beane has many times that he prefers to build thru the draft and then resign our own players. Sure he will look at FA but the draft is where this team will continue to be built according to him. The Bills might sign a player or two but I don't expect them to be major players in FA. It's not Beane's style.

I think this works if your team is loaded with elite talent on both sides of the ball,  but beyond Allen/Diggs on offence and White who is returning from an ACL we don't have any elite players to wash/rinse and repeat.  I think Davis/Knox could get there and maybe Rousseau own defence but it's hard to win a chip without having big time play makers and then hopeful you find one in the draft drafting so low. The good news is Allen is a stud,  but he still needs talent around him to win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The league year doesn't start until Wednesday afternoon.  Today is supposed to be the first official day GMs can discuss contracts with agents.  Even if a deal is announced publicly, it will not officially go against the cap for a few more days.  So we have plenty of time to restructure contracts or cut players, depending on exactly how much we need.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think this works if your team is loaded with elite talent on both sides of the ball,  but beyond Allen/Diggs on offence and White who is returning from an ACL we don't have any elite players to wash/rinse and repeat.  I think Davis/Knox could get there and maybe Rousseau own defence but it's hard to win a chip without having big time play makers and then hopeful you find one in the draft drafting so low. The good news is Allen is a stud,  but he still needs talent around him to win

 

Because of Allen I think we have the offense to win the Super Bowl. But I agree with you about the defense. We aren't winning a championship with this defense. Everyone knows their #1 ranking was because they padded their stats on bad teams. Who knows how long it takes White to regain his form and that is assuming he can. Can the Bills resign Wallace? Even so I expect CB will be a priority in the draft. Still need to improve the pass rush and run defense. I still have nightmares about Henry and Taylor and that first NE game. The Bills are a good team and they are close but they do need to improve the defense this offseason if they want to win the Super Bowl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:


your amazement is based in part off rumors you read on the internet? I’m no brain scientist, but maybe you’re forming your stupid assumptions based on bad information. League year starts in earnest tomorrow with the tampering period. Wait and see please.

I wonder what would drive you to suggest this or anyone's contribution is "stupid"?  I thought, as Bills fans, we were better than this.  

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

 

Because of Allen I think we have the offense to win the Super Bowl. But I agree with you about the defense. We aren't winning a championship with this defense. Everyone knows their #1 ranking was because they padded their stats on bad teams. Who knows how long it takes White to regain his form and that is assuming he can. Can the Bills resign Wallace? Even so I expect CB will be a priority in the draft. Still need to improve the pass rush and run defense. I still have nightmares about Henry and Taylor and that first NE game. The Bills are a good team and they are close but they do need to improve the defense this offseason if they want to win the Super Bowl.

Just look at the play makers the Chargers now have on defensive side of the ball. That KC game was ours if we had a defence that could make some plays and get off the field just like Cincy's D did the following week. As much as I like Allen,  it's asking too much of him to expect scoring on all possessions to win games.  Our defensive  stats were more because Frazier was playing soft zones with both safeties way back and not allowing the big play.  How many long time consuming drives did our defence give up last season. That side of the ball just does not have any play makers and sorry but Milano is not some star play making LB when it comes to big games.

25 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Beane will drop the ball for another off season.

Very disappointing if he does nothing,  this would be like the trade deadline where you have some fans thinking were so good we don't need anything.  I just don't see us getting anyone in the draft that is going to make a huge difference on defence in their first season

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Why?  The unused money just rolls over to the next year.  If it’s an extension I get your point, but a restructure should be a wash.  

Won't the rollover money just wash the cap hit that was moved down the road?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TheWeatherMan said:

That’s my understanding.  

what's the point of that? Costs the team more cash up front and might prevent necessary restructuring the following year.

Anyway, we just extended Morse, so i assume that saved us some cap money this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...