Bobby Wagner released

CDogg20

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not one to chime in on specific player very often, but a quick google search says he is a steady player of value, the key to this being worth talking about at all is his cost….  What’s he likely to get, and priority wise, for our team is he a player to go after????

DK’s vibe last year didn’t seem to indicate a dude that wants to hang around on a rebuilding team.  

If he tells the team he’s not interested in re-signing after this season, they’d likely entertain offers.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

DK’s vibe last year didn’t seem to indicate a dude that wants to hang around on a rebuilding team.  

If he tells the team he’s not interested in re-signing after this season, they’d likely entertain offers.  

I hear ya, but I was asking about Wagner, DK, if he hits the open market, is gonna be really expensive, jmo. 

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hell of a player

Couldn't agree more. Hard pressed to find another LB as good as Bobby Wagner. Legion of Boom, gets all the press, but he was the best player on that defense. He's what we were hoping Tremaine would become, unfortunately never happened. 

26 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It’s great how every name player that hits the market we hear “make it happen” on this board.

I love signings like Poyer and Hyde. I’m not going to drool over Ray Lewis. Find value players at a reasonable price who fit the scheme. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, freddyjj said:

Like the day in 2000 when OBD let Bruce, Andre and Thurman go.

That's exaclty what I said to him. I dont think anything hurt worse than seeing Thurman in a Dolphins jersey. 

35 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Where does he play? They run base nickel 98% of the time. And they are committed to Edmunds.

Who said they are committed to Edmunds? They are only committed until there is a better opportunity.  Wagner is the superior player by far even at his age. Edmunds will never be anything more than an average MLB. Trade him and get a high pick to help the OL and or DL.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Why would they release him and not trade him? 

Why do you think?

He has a $16.5M cap hit.

He's at an age where a defensive player is taking a fraction of the value their statistics would indicate they deserve if they were 26.

34 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It’s great how every name player that hits the market we hear “make it happen” on this board.

This is different. Guys like Wagner do not hit the open market often. He is a clear upgrade over Edmunds. He is everything that Edmunds is not. Edmunds will do more good in 2022 for the Bills if he is traded and the draft pick they get in return is used on a CB, DT, or OG

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:
2 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

That's exaclty what I said to him. I dont think anything hurt worse than seeing Thurman in a Dolphins jersey.

Just realized this was 2 months after season ended with home run throwback and the playoff drought was on.

Yikes!

I doubt it happens.

But certainly a real upgrade. Without question one of the absolute best LBs in the league, Wagner.

The problem would be age. Wagner's going to be 32. How many more great years will he have?

Here's the aging curve at various positions, including LB:

https://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db/

You also have to worry about cost. You don't want Wagner as a one-year guy who has to be replaced. And yet he's likely to want real money for an extension.

IMO it's not something they'd consider. Real interesting to think about, though. Edmunds is very good, but Wagner is among the elite. At least he was last year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Get him.  

Trade Edmonds for another 2nd.  

For a 2nd.  Yes.  I don’t think even think you could make that trade on Madden though.  A 4th at best.

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Trade Edmunds to Seattle for one of the picks they just acquired.

My son is a Seahawks fan and he is just devestated today.

Your fault for raising a Seahawks fan.

10 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

That’s why MCM was more painful than 13 seconds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.