Speculative article on friction between McDermott and Staff?

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

McKenzie in that sit down interview days after the game said he honestly didn’t know what happened. Said he tried to find out because he’s the gossip king on the roster or something like that, but was running into dead ends. It’s very likely he’s one of Dunne’s sources and it’s also likely STers didn’t know the defensive play calls and vice versa, so no players are entirely aware what happened - unless, possibly, if they were on the kickoff coverage and played those last two defensive plays. And those are the guys that aren’t talking.

Is there anyone who was on the field on all 3 snaps? I'd doubt they had any of the first team defense out there on STs. 

Bottom line is if a head coach hasn’t won a Super Bowl much less get to one they are on the hot seat by year 6 or 7 regardless of how well they’ve done.  With Zimmer getting the ax, McDermott is currently the longest tenured head coach who hasn’t won a Super Bowl.  

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/the-longest-tenured-head-coaches-in-the-nfl

Josh Allen just put together the two greatest seasons by a quarterback in Bills’ history and the team has nothing to show for it. Obviously, Josh has a long career ahead of him, but he might never have a better chance to win it all than he did this year…and eventually his ability to be a dual threat QB is going to fade and he won’t be quite as dynamic as he was at 25 years old.  Not that he’s “on the hot seat”, but I think there’s a lot of pressure on McDermott going into the 2022 season…

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh, maybe. I'm not sure how favourable a scheduling break it was being sent to Kansas City with the season on the line in 2017 after the Chargers debacle. 

I was looking more at 2021.

You lose to Jags but then get a nice rebound against Mike White/Jets

You lose to Colts, but then get a nice rebound against Trevor Simian/Saints

and then the 2 game losing streak was snapped playing against Panthers with a backup QB and all the starting WRs/starting RB out.

you play who you play…that’s fair.  I just think every time they had a tough loss they had a very easy game to follow up.

which helped avoid any sort of 3-4 game losing streak and potential internal strife spilling out into the media.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So let's just follow this to its conclusion.  If McDermott says that, then the X's and O's squad will be breaking down role/responsibilities for that call and looking at which players did or did not execute those responsibilities.  It will end by fingering specific players - which is something McDermott seems to want to avoid.

And given that we know players who got key penalties or visibly missed a block or the like in a playoff loss have LITERALLY GOTTEN DEATH THREATS from fans, I'm with McD here.

Exactly. I agree. I'm just saying what fans want.

Bruce Smith spoke with McDermott. Then when interviewed he said players were out of position. I'm pretty confident players didn't exactly know what they were supposed to do. That still is on the coach. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bottom line is if a head coach hasn’t won a Super Bowl much less get to one they are on the hot seat by year 6 or 7 regardless of how well they’ve done.  With Zimmer getting the ax, McDermott is currently the longest tenured head coach who hasn’t won a Super Bowl.  

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/the-longest-tenured-head-coaches-in-the-nfl

Zim had made the playoffs 3 times in 8 seasons. He knew this year was playoffs or bust. McDermott has made the playoffs every season he hasn't started a rookie Quarterback. 

Don't get me wrong there would come a point where if he had 3 or 4 more bad playoff losses you would have to think about moving on but if this team keeps making the playoffs and winning some playoff games he is going to survive a good while longer yet.  

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Exactly. I agree. I'm just saying what fans want.

Bruce Smith spoke with McDermott. Then when interviewed he said players were out of position. I'm pretty confident players didn't exactly know what they were supposed to do. That still is on the coach. 

It was on the coach. Nobody has said differently. Including the coach. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Chiefs you say?

This is weird.  When I quote your post, I see a link to an Andy Reid comment

When I look at the post I see a link to a tweet about McDermott:

And wow, that man's eyes.  He's haunted by the end of that game, but you can tell he's also determined to process it and move on.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Zim had made the playoffs 3 times in 8 seasons. He knew this year was playoffs or bust. McDermott has made the playoffs every season he hasn't started a rookie Quarterback. 

Don't get me wrong there would come a point where if he had 3 or 4 more bad playoff losses you would have to think about moving on but if this team keeps making the playoffs and winning some playoff games he is going to survive a good while longer yet.  

3 or 4 more?  I’d say 2 max.  Josh is too good.  You’d have to move on from McDermott if we don’t at least make a Super Bowl in next 2 years.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

Just now, mannc said:

Josh Allen just put together the two greatest seasons by a quarterback in Bills’ history and the team has nothing to show for it. Obviously, Josh has a long career ahead of him, but he might never have a better chance to win it all than he did this year…and eventually his ability to be a dual threat QB is going to fade and he won’t be quite as dynamic as he was at 25 years old.  Not that he’s “on the hot seat”, but I think there’s a lot of pressure on McDermott going into the 2022 season…

It will really come down to how well Beane can draft, how smart he is with FA, and how he manages the Cap. The Pats kept their window to win open for 20 years with the GOAT QB by making smart decisions with their roster. I don't think McDermott is on the hot seat but if they fail to reach the Super Bowl then I could see the seat getting warmer assuming no devastating injuries that kill their chances happen. Their is a lot of pressure next year on them no doubt.

I had a call this morning with two senior leadership members practically yelling at each other about strategy direction and implementation.  

After the call, I connected with one of the leaders, and when we talked about the conversation the response was "That's the honest discussion we need to have more often".  

Friction drives honesty and honesty can either make or break a team.  I think Sean has shown to be very open to changing and taking others opinions to make himself better.

I wont worry about this until the on field product suffers drastically

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

McKenzie in that sit down interview days after the game said he honestly didn’t know what happened. Said he tried to find out because he’s the gossip king on the roster or something like that, but was running into dead ends. It’s very likely he’s one of Dunne’s sources and it’s also likely STers didn’t know the defensive play calls and vice versa, so no players are entirely aware what happened - unless, possibly, if they were on the kickoff coverage and played those last two defensive plays. And those are the guys that aren’t talking.

In that same sit-down interview, McKenzie said he got on the team plane after KC and started trash talking and finger-pointing the defense.  He also said he came in at 11 am and missed the general team meeting.

If I were a ST player or a defensive player, I wouldn't talk to McKenzie and get my brothers thrown under the bus by him publicly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/it-was-a-bad-bad-situation?s=r

“You preach accountability,” one player said. “But you don’t practice it.”

If true, this is about the most damning thing you can say about a leader other than incompetency.  A normal and healthy amount of friction is expected in a high pressure organization like the Bills.  But it bears watching to see if a lack of accountability is really an issue. 

I thought that the logical point of friction between Daboll and McDermott/Beane was the allocation of resources.  Premium draft picks and higher priced FAs flowed far more freely to the defensive side of the ball (which is McDermott’s) than the offensive side (Daboll’s).

2 minutes ago, Santana said:

Something tells me the friction is mainly between the defensive staff.

That's what would make the most sense.  Good.

As for Farwell resigning and going to Jax, LOL!

• Like (+1) 1

Is it true Bass posted a video of himself squib kicking a day or few days after the game?  I didn't know that.  1. I'm sure it pissed off McDermott who wanted this locked down.  2. On the surface you have to accept that means he wasn't asked to kick it short.  That's a surprise to me.  I think if it was 100% on McD (the kick) he would own it.  Seems possible the ST coach either blew the communication or overruled the HC.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Did anyone really jump ship with Daboll?

I think this is a nothing story.

One person left for a lateral move with Daboll - Bobby Johnson. The only other staff member he took Shea Tierney was a promotion from assistant QB coach to QB coach. They were also the only two offensive coaches on the staff in whose hiring Daboll had a hand. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.