Speculative article on friction between McDermott and Staff?

BillsMafi$

I don't know what people want from McD.  He's taking the highroad.  Having been the boss...you do not ever publicly call out your staff.   He has taken responsibility without going into specifics because that is what a good CEO does.  Those 13 seconds happened on McD's watch.  He knows that.  Changes are made quietly and behind the scenes.  Farwell's contract was not renewed, and he moved on.  I think that tells us a lot.  I also think Levi Wallace moving on will be a good thing.  He gave up the huge completion to Kelce leading to the FG.  The season is over.  There is no do-over.  The team is moving on.  The fans need to as well.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Takeaway? It’s the subject of the article.  It doesn’t claim all players have voiced displeasure in the way the aftermath of the game was handled internally. 

So only a reader of lower intellect would believe what Dunne is reporting (as is Josh Reed, separately)?

That’s  an interesting interpretation.

Take it however you want… if I had an axe to grind but lacked the source material to make it convincing this is exactly the article I would write.

8 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Good. This actually makes me like McDermott more. Hes not there to make friends or have people like him, he’s got a job to and isnt afraid to ruffle feathers. Good on him

Accept they're mad because his decisions cost them a playoff win.

No one is perfect but it was a major error by McDermott.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Accept they're mad because his decisions cost them a playoff win.

No one is perfect but it was a major error by McDermott.

Maybe I missed it, but what specifically?  Because he's the head coach and ultimately takes responsibility?  Or did he call for the touchback and the defensive calls on the last 2 plays?  

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Take it however you want… if I had an axe to grind but lacked the source material to make it convincing this is exactly the article I would write.

So the Channel 4 Sports guy has an axe to grind?  He has no source material (meaning he's lying about his "credible sources")?

Why would you chose to believe he's making this all up to start some beef or axe grinding?  How would someone conclude that a respected local reporter with obvious connections to the Bills is putting out fake stories?

19 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Good. This actually makes me like McDermott more. Hes not there to make friends or have people like him, he’s got a job to and isnt afraid to ruffle feathers. Good on him

He's there to win AFCC games, at least.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah he’s not the best field general,  but the Tyler Dunn article also says he never really disused this in the days after the game—even with the players in private.  One player was quoted regarding perceptions of responsibility.  This guy is no stranger.  He knows the Bills

Then he needs to swallow a little of his pride and level with his players. They will respect him for it. You can't allow this epic mistake(s) to just fester. Part of the process is being honest with your players, well beyond a vague cliche.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Except some players on his team essentially think he’s full of ***** per the article… as someone already mentioned, we will find out how that last 13 second botch job from McD affect the team early next season.

I saw one quote from a player.  And usually without context these quotes are made out to be way more than they really are.  One player asking about practicing accountability is not “some players think he is full of *****”

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So the Channel 4 Sports guy has an axe to grind?  He has no source material (meaning he's lying about his "credible sources")?

Why would you chose to believe he's making this all up to start some beef or axe grinding?  How would someone conclude that a respected local reporter with obvious connections to the Bills is putting out fake stories?

Its probably a BS story, who doesnt get mad at their boss and what boss doesnt get mad at their employees when a company has a bad quarter. 

The end of season sucked, but sometimes there is no lesson to failing, you juat fail

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The space between ‘fake stories’ and sensationalism and innuendo is where these types of articles live because unsophisticated audiences eat it up.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Maybe I missed it, but what specifically?  Because he's the head coach and ultimately takes responsibility?  Or did he call for the touchback and the defensive calls on the last 2 plays?  

Sources say he overruled the special teams coach and told Bass to kick deep.

The 2 defensive calls I always believed were on McDermott. He called timeout to set them up.

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

McKenzie is the leak.  He should be executed 

Agreed it's McKenzie.

This must be why McDermott keeps talking about execution every time he's asked about it.

• Haha (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Can someone let me know if this is worth $8

This is how the Tweet ended.  Literally no one has said what is "Here's what happened....." details.  I don't know if it's worth buying or not.  Details and context matter to me and I choose to not make judgements without them.  The assumption was always that Coach McDermott was withholding any public trashing of a player or coach to save their reputation while taking a "the buck stops here" public mantra.  But, it could have been a situation where he was more directly responsible for what happened.  I'd believe it if Bass was never told and Milano lined up wrong or did not react correctly at the snap.  He is not in any position to help on Kelce and is looking in the wrong direction.  That seems like a mistake to me and I doubt they teach it that way.

image.thumb.png.11c0784885fdf1d9a2cbd8e20fab2b91.png

Where was Matt Milano.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

McKenzie is the leak.  He should be executed 

Ty and Dirty do a podcast together. 

https://www.wgrz.com/article/features/buffalo-bills-player-launches-first-episode-of-podcast-wide-reciver-mafia-filming-food-eat/71-be9c138d-1778-4fc2-8862-cf02394d15f4

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

This team should have been a Super Bowl winner.  If this was a communication problem among the staff, it needs to get fixed because this team will be in pressure situations in elimination games for the foreseeable future. 

I don't know if you can ever take enough responsibility for what in some players minds was blowing their shot at a ring.  I am sure it will be discussed and dealt with internally and I don't really care to know the whole story.  This team has a strong and diverse player leadership- Morse, Dawkins, Allen, Diggs, Harry, Edmunds, Hyde, Poyer, White, etc.  These guys will make it right internally.  

I love Coach, but there better be vast improvement in strategy and communication when the Bills face a similar situation.  Opportunities to win it all in the NFL are narrow and fleeting.  The Bills as a whole need to better at grasping the opportunity with confidence and certainty rather than failing to communicate. 

This scenario  should have been one that was played out not just on paper but in preparation and practice.  That there were errors borders on being inexcusable.  But hey, we are Bills fans-- we are resilient -- this staff won't make the same mistake twice.

My impressions about Coach are very favorable.  He seems to be fair and no-nonsense, and his strong sense of accountability is balanced with letting his OC and DC implement their styles.  I think Daboll has been a big part of our success, even though Coach probably did some second guessing.  However, if he is really a "my way or the highway", then the his shelf life might be something to question.  The GOAT coach embraces the "my way or the highway" and made it work, but that kind of leadership usually comes up wanting in every organization.  You can get away with it when things are going good, but not otherwise usually.

Edited by Ga boy
"my way or the highway" leader

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I read the article from Dunne - it screams of little child syndrome more than anything.  McD took accountability for the choke job in the playoffs several times both immediately after and weeks after the game.  What more accountability does someone realistically expect?  Do we want him to go second by second pointing fingers at everyone/anyone who may have played a part in the breakdown?  Let's live in reality here.

When you write lines like "You can't clap your way through this loss" I dont really know how you can be taken seriously.  It's fandom writing and not journalism.

Dunne seems to have a hard-on for hating McDermott. He rips on him every chance it gets... it's kind of weird.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.