When do we start to re sign our free agents?

Steptide

Forgive my ignorance as I've been in a bit of a coma since the kc loss. With free agency coming in mid March though, are the bills waiting to re sign or re structure players until then? I can't remember how it went last year. To my knowledge, I think they've only extended one of their depth line backers 

His name is Harrison Phillips.  But seriously, teams are putting through paperwork on ERFAs, RFAs and the like right now.  Early March is when you’ll see teams extend some upcoming FAs, release players, etc.  Lots of talks between agents and teams (over shrimp cocktails and steaks at St. Elmo’s) during the Combine.  That’s the first week of March.  First day of the new league year is March 16th.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Forgive my ignorance as I've been in a bit of a coma since the kc loss. With free agency coming in mid March though, are the bills waiting to re sign or re structure players until then? I can't remember how it went last year. To my knowledge, I think they've only extended one of their depth line backers 

Right now agents are basically "unofficially" talking with ALL teams about the interest/values of the players they represent...........there is no rule against agents talking to GM's and no agent or GM is ever going to divulge the fact that they have discussed specific players.........but it's happening.

So we usually don't start seeing re-signs until agents see who is interested in their players and how much interest they might get on the open market.

If it looks like returning to the Bills is going to be the best option those agents will hustle back to Beane and try to get deals done before FA kicks off and they risk missing their window.   Guessing a week before UFA......so like March 10 or so.........we will start to see some re-sign action.

Others with more options may make tentative/handshake deals ahead of time to sign elsewhere or go into live free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Steptide said:

image.png.c1ae9497d73676136f8100212c3208a9.png

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

His name is Harrison Phillips.  But seriously, teams are putting through paperwork on ERFAs, RFAs and the like right now.  Early March is when you’ll see teams extend some upcoming FAs, release players, etc.  Lots of talks between agents and teams (over shrimp cocktails and steaks at St. Elmo’s) during the Combine.  That’s the first week of March.  First day of the new league year is March 16th.

Did we re-sign Harry or did we re-sign Dodson or maybe both ?

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Or when do we announce any cuts? We have a few guys with roster bonuses. 

Teams have to be under the cap when the league year starts on 3/16 at 4 pm.  Roster bonuses have dates set in contracts, usually between 3 and 10 days after the season starts. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Likely the first domino to fall is restructures.  Once they complete that, they'll have a better idea of how much additional money they need to free up via cuts and who didn't agree to restructure.  I'm sure they are also having discussions with their own upcoming Fa's to gauge  the market.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

Look for more news on cuts and re-signings to start during the Combine.

43 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Likely the first domino to fall is restructures.  Once they complete that, they'll have a better idea of how much additional money they need to free up via cuts and who didn't agree to restructure.  I'm sure they are also having discussions with their own upcoming Fa's to gauge  the market.

Even before that I think there are two obvious cuts - AJ Klein and Matt Haack 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Even before that I think there are two obvious cuts - AJ Klein and Matt Haack 

They do have till what is it March 16th before any roster bonuses are due?  Haack I'm sure is gone.  Klein, could cut his salary way down.  He is good to have if either Edmunds or Milano is hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They do have till what is it March 16th before any roster bonuses are due?  Haack I'm sure is gone.  Klein, could cut his salary way down.  He is good to have if either Edmunds or Milano is hurt.

Hack’s salary is fully guaranteed if he is on the roster 3/18. Also a 1 million roster bonus. 

Klein’s dead cap is only like 400k if cut and gets rid of 5.6 mill

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.