Bills vs. Chiefs Divisional Round: Full Match Re-play

HomeTeam

On 2/18/2022 at 3:17 PM, HomeTeam said:

-That 17 play drive was something else, especially those 4th down conversions by Josh. He is literally gasping for air doing everything humanly possible to will his team to victory. That was a big boy drive.

It's sad that what I consider Josh's two best "game winning" drives came in games he didn't win.  The Hail Murray game and this one would have been legendary late drives...if not for those endings.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'll say it till I die.  I think the 13 seconds and coin toss L, cost Josh, the Bills organization (and us fans) multiple Super Bowl wins.  I think Buffalo goes on to win a tough game vs Cincinnati and then beats the Rams.  Then i believe the Bills would have gone on to win a 2nd SB (or at least play in one) over the next 3 years.

Now I'm just hoping for one Super Bowl appearance- and hopefully a win over the next few seasons.  I don't think all the scenarios will line up as well as they did this year though.  It will be harder. 

All they had to do was hold on.  Not sure why they didn't rush just 2 guys and blanket Kelce and Hill... 

37 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'll say it till I die.  I think the 13 seconds and coin toss L, cost Josh, the Bills organization (and us fans) multiple Super Bowl wins.  I think Buffalo goes on to win a tough game vs Cincinnati and then beats the Rams.  Then i believe the Bills would have gone on to win a 2nd SB (or at least play in one) over the next 3 years.

Now I'm just hoping for one Super Bowl appearance- and hopefully a win over the next few seasons.  I don't think all the scenarios will line up as well as they did this year though.  It will be harder. 

All they had to do was hold on.  Not sure why they didn't rush just 2 guys and blanket Kelce and Hill... 

Why so negative? It's more likely that what we saw this year was a better version of the 1989 Bills.  There is more reason to be optimistic about the Bills Super Bowl chances over the next 5 years then pessimistic.

• Like (+1) 1

At some point you really have to wonder when this team under the current regime is ever going to come out on the winning end of a game like this.

In fact looking at McDermott's tenure, how many big time games has he really won? He's 0-4 in postseason road games, including 0-2 in overtime games and not even going to touch his career record against playoff teams since that's well documented in terms of how poorly it is.

Like I've said all along, if I'm the Pegula's specifically I keep rewatching this game and sit both McDermott and Beane down this offseason with a clear message: Deliver in 2022 or we'll find someone else that can.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

At some point you really have to wonder when this team under the current regime is ever going to come out on the winning end of a game like this.

In fact looking at McDermott's tenure, how many big time games has he really won? He's 0-4 in postseason road games, including 0-2 in overtime games and not even going to touch his career record against playoff teams since that's well documented in terms of how poorly it is.

Like I've said all along, if I'm the Pegula's specifically I keep rewatching this game and sit both McDermott and Beane down this offseason with a clear message: Deliver in 2022 or we'll find someone else that can.

do you really think the pegulas will give the ultimatum that you win the super bowl or you're fired?  

45 minutes ago, teef said:

do you really think the pegulas will give the ultimatum that you win the super bowl or you're fired?  

I might still be stinging a little from the game, but I'd be perfectly fine if getting to the Super Bowl is a requirement for McDermott to keep his job.  He really effed up, IMO.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I might still be stinging a little from the game, but I'd be perfectly fine if getting to the Super Bowl is a requirement for McDermott to keep his job.  He really effed up, IMO.

I think it’s way too premature for that.  the pats ruined it for fans.  Getting the the Super Bowl is wildly difficult, even for the best teams nfl.  Even the best qbs in the league today have one trophy to their name.  Having a good qb and coach just isn’t enough sometime.  I’m not giving mcd a pass, and his time to go may very well come…but next year or bust?   Eh. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, teef said:

I think it’s way too premature for that.  the pats ruined it for fans.  Getting the the Super Bowl is wildly difficult, even for the best teams nfl.  Even the best qbs in the league today have one trophy to their name.  Having a good qb and coach just isn’t enough sometime.  I’m not giving mcd a pass, and his time to go may very well come…but next year or bust?   Eh. 

I'm sure I'll calm down before next season.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm sure I'll calm down before next season.

i got over it maybe faster than i should have.  even in that loss i realized that bills are one of the best in the nfl without a doubt.  if that opportunity keeps getting squandered away, you and filthyhole may be spot on.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i got over it maybe faster than i should have.  even in that loss i realized that bills are one of the best in the nfl without a doubt.  if that opportunity keeps getting squandered away, you and filthyhole may be spot on.

Part of me feels like I'm being impatient.  The other part of me realizes that I've been a fan for over 30 years and this team has sucked for more than half of them.

I couldn't even thoroughly enjoy the "end of the drought," because we backed into it and had no business being in the playoffs.

I'm trying to be careful to not let myself get into a "I'm happy that they're one of the best," mode to the point of equating getting close with success.

The road to the Lombardi Trophy will likely never be as easy as it was last year and McDermott f*cked it up.  If he is the real deal and the Bills are among the best in the league, then anything short of at least GETTING to the Super Bowl should be considered as failure.  Getting close can't be the goal anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

On 2/18/2022 at 3:22 PM, Greg S said:

For me I will never watch that game at least until the Bills win a Super Bowl but not before then. 

Glad to see this was the first post. Exactly where I am at as well.

I wont (cant) watch the Four Falls of Buffalo documentary until after a SB win either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably has a 2 year window just to get to the SB… Another divisional/championship loss and any sort of disappointing miss of the playoffs in between and I can see them moving on… can’t say I trust the Pegulas to make the right hire thereafter but…

i love you scottlaw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

Maybe not in those words teef, but the reality is this regime is entering year 6 together. And history has shown very few NFL coaches win their first championship after 5 years with the same team (ironically Andy Reid is one of the few exceptions but basically took him landing a generational talent to take the next step).

And when you look around the league and see teams like the Bengals go from first overall pick to the SB in just 3 years, why should McDermott and Beane get a pass? What makes them special exactly? It took one postseason appearance for Zac Taylor to do 2 things McDermott has not been able to do in 4 trips to there: Beat the chiefs in the playoffs and win a road playoff game (2 in this case).

Like I've said all along, appreciating this regime for ending the drought and turning the franchise around but also realizing they might not be capable of getting to the next step are not mutually exclusive. And after 6 years it's not about 'trusting the process' anymore, it's about results. And with rumors floating that the Chiefs are primed for a big offseason despite making it to 4 consecutive conference championships, standing pat and signing bargain basement FA's and relying soley on the draft is just asking to get fired (assuming this is Beane's real plan).

15 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

It's sad that what I consider Josh's two best "game winning" drives came in games he didn't win.  The Hail Murray game and this one would have been legendary late drives...if not for those endings.

Yea, I had the same thought. Both situations a win was snatched away in the most improbable ways. 

He's definitely has that it factor about him. The scary part, is I believe now is the point in Josh's career where his talent, experience, and confidence are all aligning.  

I hope someone gets fired for kicking it deep when they should have either pooch kicked it or kick it to the 5 yard line. Unforgiveable. Then the freaking defense cant  stop them for 13 seconds with victory on the line in the playoffs against KC. ***** they should have gnawed someone's leg off to stop the ball from progressing.

3 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

If the squib call never made it to Bass, why didn’t Bass ask what the call was? Like you’re a kicker and you don’t think to ask about that?

Don't know what exactly went down for sure at that time, but I certainly wouldn't be the main one I'd place blame on

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.