Minor coaching change on D line

YoloinOhio

Here’s what I like about the West hire…he’s not yet another assistant from another NFL team shuffling around, which is what all of these guys seem to do (as evidenced by the tweet in the very first post).  Fresh blood, which in and of itself is nice to see.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Here’s what I like about the West hire…he’s not yet another assistant from another NFL team shuffling around, which is what all of these guys seem to do (as evidenced by the tweet in the very first post).  Fresh blood, which in and of itself is nice to see.

It is not that unusual to bring a college guy in as an assistant to a position coach to get their foot on the NFL ladder. Indeed it is exactly what happened with Cesaire. He came to us after 4 years with the University of San Diego, had two years as our assistant D Line coach and then made the step to a full position coach role with the Texans. 

The Bills have got a reputation right now as a very well run programme that gives people the chance to develop and then move on and move up. If you are a young position coach in college looking to break into the NFL the Bills are going to be an inticing possibility. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not that unusual to bring a college guy in as an assistant to a position coach to get their foot on the NFL ladder. Indeed it is exactly what happened with Cesaire. He came to us after 4 years with the University of San Diego, had two years as our assistant D Line coach and then made the step to a full position coach role with the Texans. 

The Bills have got a reputation right now as a very well run programme that gives people the chance to develop and then move on and move up. If you are a young position coach in college looking to break into the NFL the Bills are going to be an inticing possibility. 

Don’t disagree at all.

14 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I mean, if you can’t get production out of two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick at DE, I don’t know what to tell you. Fans are predicting that we take yet another EDGE. 

Seems to me like Buffalo has had a hard time developing their front seven talent, outside of Milano and Oliver perhaps.

Whose fault is it? McD? Frazier? Washington? How is this “Cesaire” guy getting a new gig?

The coaching, imho, is to "system" oriented, and doesn't focus on individual skills/moves.  "do your job", don't freelance...that is the matra...and they believe it.  Results have been good system wide, but, perhaps supresses individual skill development.  Just thinkin

9 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

That would be Shar-Lot good sir.

Won back-to-back NYS championships in hoops in 1983 and 1984 as underclassmen.    Couldn't stay out of trouble or it would have been 3 straight.    Probably Rochester's most remembered/dominant HS sports team.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For those who want more info:

In his first season with the 49ers, West oversaw a defensive unit that set school records for sacks (36) and tackles for loss (86) and found its mark in the second half of the season as Charlotte charged towards its first bowl bid.  The 49ers allowed just 22.8 points per game during a regular-season ending five-game win streak that carried Charlotte to the Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl.  The 49ers (7-6; C-USA: 5-3) finished the season with school records for wins, C-USA wins and winning streak.

West’s star pupil was senior all-America defensive end Alex Highsmith, who  ranked in the nation’s top five with school records in sacks (4th; 14.0) and TFL (5th, 21.5). Highsmith was selected in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Running mate Markees Watts, the opposite defensive end, had 9.5 sacks and 13.0 TFL in his own break-out sophomore season.

In the past,  bringing in an assistant from a small college program hasn't always worked out (2017 Phil McGeoghan from East Carolina - and he had prior experience as an NFL WR and NFL WR coach). 

But, this guy is the assistant DL coach, so as long as he "plays well with others" and can break down film should be good.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would give the rookies some time to develop before deciding. They were rotated in and out this year. I do think they need another pass rusher simply because the only ones under contract are Rousseau, Epenesa, basham. Not sure if another rookie is the way to go though. Proven vet if at all possible. 

The problem with Buffalo's young edge rushers is none of them are fast or have a lot of bend.  They've been depending on Addison and Hughes for that, but every year a little more of their athleticism erodes away.  My feeling is that only one of that pair is likely to be back.   I'm OK with keeping the young guys and continuing to develop them.  I think they have upside to develop, but I think they need to add some younger speed.  Whether that comes via the draft or free agency doesn't matter all that much to me.

The only pick I really didn't like of the three was Bashem. Rousseau has a lot of upside, Epenesa is solid depth. We could gave had Creed Humphrey as a starting G/C playing 100% of the snaps and not a guy who is a healthy scratch for multiple games and a marginal rotation piece. Big miss by Beane.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

The only pick I really didn't like of the three was Bashem. Rousseau has a lot of upside, Epenesa is solid depth. We could gave had Creed Humphrey as a starting G/C playing 100% of the snaps and not a guy who is a healthy scratch for multiple games and a marginal rotation piece. Big miss by Beane.

Not to mention the Chiefs wouldn’t have had their center and their OL would’ve looked a lot different all year and against the Bills. 
Not sure why the staff didn’t like Humphrey in the 2nd but he wasn’t a consideration. If you remember, Beane had a deal on the table to move back if Basham was gone. Creed’s RAS was in the 99th percentile, an athletic freak just like Spencer Brown and Doyle, but I guess Beane didn’t think we needed IOL help.

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Not to mention the Chiefs wouldn’t have had their center and their OL would’ve looked a lot different all year and against the Bills. 
Not sure why the staff didn’t like Humphrey in the 2nd but he wasn’t a consideration. If you remember, Beane had a deal on the table to move back if Basham was gone. Creed’s RAS was in the 99th percentile, an athletic freak just like Spencer Brown and Doyle, but I guess Beane didn’t think we needed IOL help.

Major miss. A 10 year starter for a part time Jag. Didn't understand it during the draft and hated to see the results this season.

9 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

The coaching, imho, is to "system" oriented, and doesn't focus on individual skills/moves.  "do your job", don't freelance...that is the matra...and they believe it.  Results have been good system wide, but, perhaps supresses individual skill development.  Just thinkin

I agree that the system could be partly to blame, they appear to want to manipulate the opponents pocket and QB and force him to rush his reads and make a mistake so our secondary can capitalize on it more so than getting sacks, after this many seasons it makes one think they never seem to be particularly interested in sack numbers as being something to key on, it’s all about hurries with our DC & HC. All supposition of course.

Go Bills!!!

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

The problem with Buffalo's young edge rushers is none of them are fast or have a lot of bend.  They've been depending on Addison and Hughes for that, but every year a little more of their athleticism erodes away.  My feeling is that only one of that pair is likely to be back.   I'm OK with keeping the young guys and continuing to develop them.  I think they have upside to develop, but I think they need to add some younger speed.  Whether that comes via the draft or free agency doesn't matter all that much to me.

Really just Hughes. Addison has never been a fast, bendy guy. Even in his prime he was a power rusher. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.