So it's the Washington Commanders now?

stuvian

44 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Washington Commanders has a bias favoring The Navy over The Army that I find offensive.  

All the military ranks should be included and represented with equity.  This isn’t fair.  

Not so.  The entire military is overseen by the Commander-In-Chief.

The army has company commanders.  The air force has wing commanders.    There are lots of commanders in the armed forces.  

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Why do you think Native Americans don't want people to appreciate or celebrate representation? This whole notion that people want a multicultural society but want cultures segregated is ridiculous. Notre Dame also had a black student be their leprechaun mascot, so do you find that off limits too? It's part and parcel of different cultures living with each other and embracing one another. 

Native Americans have a rich history and culture of being feared warriors, nothing wrong with embracing that, it's not being mocked and disparaged, it's being embraced.

I hope the Chiefs keep their embracement, and every indication is that they will, good for them.

Why do I think they don’t want representation?  I don’t know - maybe because they’ve said so in national media outlets?

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/537542-on-eve-of-super-bowl-native-americans-boo-the-kansas-city?amp

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6593894001

55 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I don't know why they couldn't come up with a way to keep the original logo.  Why was using a heritage image of a native american wrong?  That's where all of this goes full Karen for me.  Total bull feces.

Redskins a derogatory term?  really?  If so, when, like 200 years ago?  Fine.  I'll concede that one.  The logo is offensive?  How is that even possible?  All of this is really sad.  Take a look at Mutual of Omaha's new logo.  It was a Native American image, please, oh please wise Karens, how was that remotely offensive?  

A 2020 UC-Berkeley study found that 49% of Native Americans considered the "redskin" term 'offensive' or 'very offensive.'

A Center for Indigenous Peoples/CSU-San Bernadino study found that 67% of people surveyed thought the expression "redskins" name was offensive and racist.  

Numerous Native American tribes, and other Native American organizations, have spoken out against it.

Apparently, the word "redskin" isn't offensive to you.   Great.  Even some Native Americans don't find it offensive. 

But many do.   Why would we - as a country - choose to demean these good people?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

As statues disappear of famous leaders. Its happening all over on both sides and is disgusting. We the people need to put a stop to it else everything will be erased or censored like communist nations.

As a combat veteran, I can't understand why we ever erected statues to Confederate leaders in the first place.  

I'm all in favor of honoring America's patriotic heroes.   But not slave-holding traitors who fought against the United States.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

As a combat veteran, I can't understand why we ever erected statues to Confederate leaders in the first place.  

I'm all in favor of honoring America's patriotic heroes.   But not slave-holding traitors who fought against the United States.  

That's why we need more books. We all need better education. The war wasn't fought over slavery. And by the way, the Union leaders were slave owners also.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A 2020 UC-Berkeley study found that 49% of Native Americans considered the "redskin" term 'offensive' or 'very offensive.'

A Center for Indigenous Peoples/CSU-San Bernadino study found that 67% of people surveyed thought the expression "redskins" name was offensive and racist.  

Numerous Native American tribes, and other Native American organizations, have spoken out against it.

Apparently, the word "redskin" isn't offensive to you.   Great.  Even some Native Americans don't find it offensive. 

But many do.   Why would we - as a country - choose to demean these good people?

How many people were surveyed in 2020?  Where were their respective geographies?  Were all the people surveyed located in California?  I would really question the sample populous as a consensus of ALL native Americans must then feel this way.  Sorry, but very pointed surveys to generate a foregone conclusion seems very un-scientific to me.  However, if you read my comments, I conceded the name even though the very people I associate with who have an ethnic connection to all of this think it's absolutley preposterous.  Go figure... not all people feel the same way. 

I don't think changing the name was all that bad given it's actual intent, and if some of the population, no matter how minute feel offended, then I agree it was prudent to change the name.  what I am trying to say here, is that I actually agree with you based upon my first post, just not in as many words, but to remove a very cool logo along with it was like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

If anyone finds a native American logo offensive need to have their heads examined.  I will stand firm there.

For example, as I said in a differnt post..  Mutual of Omaha changed their logo from a Native American to a lion, What the Actaul EFF for?

Karens...   that's why.  That to me was an insult at its worst level.

Edited by Homey D. Clown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Commanders makes me think of Master and Commander.

And Master has been canceled too.

https://www.realestate-princeton.com/why-master-bedroom-is-changing-to-primary-bedroom-and-why-it-matters/

People have seriously lost it. Such a soft nation as everyone around us gets stronger. These people don't see the big picture. Its only a matter of time before someone flexes on us and we speaking another prominent language in a 100 years.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Why do I think they don’t want representation?  I don’t know - maybe because they’ve said so in national media outlets?

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/537542-on-eve-of-super-bowl-native-americans-boo-the-kansas-city?amp

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/6593894001

Okay, so a national activist doesn't like it, you will always find nonlocal activists that dislike everything... there's local support in Kansas City from the local people involved that it impacts... the team itself works with local trial communities. Nothing they are doing is wrong, they don't mock or disparage, they embrace. 

You can find plenty of military personnel that would oppose the Commanders name for the exact same reasons. 

It's a sports team, they are not disparaging anyone, people got to get over it. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not so.  The entire military is overseen by the Commander-In-Chief.

The army has company commanders.  The air force has wing commanders.    There are lots of commanders in the armed forces.  

It was a joke. 

Commander-in-Chief is a civilian. 

Company commander is typically a Army Captain.   Wing Commander's are typically an Air Force Lt Colonel. 

The Navy has officer ranks of Lt. Commander (04)  and Commander (05).  No? 

4 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

People have seriously lost it.

This part I can't disagree with.

Look, to me "Redskins" needed to go. But that's because it was a team named using a pejorative term for an ethnic group.

I don't see anything similar in these other names. The Indians needed to change their logo. 

Commanders is stupid. So are most team names (step back for a moment and consider "Buffalo Bills"). WFT (or as I preferred Washington Football Club, Washington F.C.) was a breath of fresh air, more on the English model.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I don't know why they couldn't come up with a way to keep the original logo.  Why was using a heritage image of a native american wrong?  That's where all of this goes full Karen for me.  Total bull feces.

Redskins a derogatory term?  really?  If so, when, like 200 years ago?  Fine.  I'll concede that one.  The logo is offensive?  How is that even possible?  All of this is really sad.  Take a look at Mutual of Omaha's new logo.  It was a Native American image, please, oh please wise Karens, how was that remotely offensive?  

Welcome to the 19th century.  Yeah, "Redskin" is a derogatory term for a Native American -- and has always been a derogatory term even 200 years ago.   "Indian" is simply an outdated term for Native American, much like "colored" or "*****" are outdated terms for African Americans.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.