Could we be seeing the start of AFC dominance in the SB?

Success

I spend a lot of time after losses like Sunday rationalizing, but this kind of gives me some hope.  I think the Rams can win it all this year & be the primary contender in the NFC for another year or 2, but w/ Brees gone, Rogers possibly moving on, and rumors about Brady retiring - all of the other good & great QB's are in the AFC.

It reminds me of when we were getting to the SB in the '90's, and the years before & after that.  Except for our 1st 2 SB's, they'd generally say that the "real" SB was the NFCCG.  And they were generally right.

This could bode well for us if we figure out the KC puzzle.  I'd love it if that became our toughest game every year. Not discounting Burrow & Herbert, but it just feels like KC and Buffalo will be 1a & 1b for awhile.

I'm sure I'm not the only Bills fan who rejoices in the idea of getting back to the big game, but immediately thinks, "oh, man - what if we lose a 5th"?  I think the AFC is poised to start a run similar to what the NFC did in the '80's and '90's, and it's a great time to have one of the best AFC teams.

Still good teams in the NFC. The entire NFC West is tough and Dallas is still a contender.  If Rodgers leaves that division is terrible.  Tampa has a good team even if Brady retires, but depending on who they replace him with will determine how good they can be.

But agree, AFC looks like they have the better and younger QBs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Still good teams in the NFC. The entire NFC West is tough and Dallas is still a contender.  If Rodgers leaves that division is terrible.  Tampa has a good team even if Brady retires, but depending on who they replace him with will determine how good they can be.

But agree, AFC looks like they have the better and younger QBs.

Good point on Dallas.  Dak is very good. They don't scare me much, though - I'd kind of like that rematch. I don't think they'll ever have a top coach with Jerry Jones there; he likes to hire guys who follow his lead.

I haven't followed what's happening w/ the Bucs, but the one podcast I heard talking about it made it sound like part of the reason there are rumors of Brady's retirement is that they're going to lose quite a few good players this offseason.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wouldn’t the AFC have to win at least one super bowl in a row before starting this thread? After all Tampa won last year and there’s a very good chance the Rams will be playing at home in a couple of weeks. Just saying.

Was gonna say this, but you already said it.

So… this. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would be surprised if Buffalo and Kansas City don’t open as the favorites for 2022.  Also, it’s absolute garbage that the league doesn’t at least rotate the game between AFC and NFC hosts.  If the Rams and Chiefs win, Kansas City will play on the road in consecutive seasons.  

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wouldn’t the AFC have to win at least one super bowl in a row before starting this thread? After all Tampa won last year and there’s a very good chance the Rams will be playing at home in a couple of weeks. Just saying.

Of course - but the thread is more projecting the next decade+ based on the QB situation.

It's extremely lopsided in favor of the AFC moving forward. 

And not that QB is everything - but it generally is when it comes to winning championships.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is a valid point.  For the most part, the only "good and young" QB's in the NFC are Kyler Murray and Dak.  I'd say the jury's still out on Fields and Hurts.  AFC has Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Jackson and then if Lawrence takes the next step.  Also don't count out Mayfield when he's healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

I spend a lot of time after losses like Sunday rationalizing, but this kind of gives me some hope.  I think the Rams can win it all this year & be the primary contender in the NFC for another year or 2, but w/ Brees gone, Rogers possibly moving on, and rumors about Brady retiring - all of the other good & great QB's are in the AFC.

It reminds me of when we were getting to the SB in the '90's, and the years before & after that.  Except for our 1st 2 SB's, they'd generally say that the "real" SB was the NFCCG.  And they were generally right.

This could bode well for us if we figure out the KC puzzle.  I'd love it if that became our toughest game every year. Not discounting Burrow & Herbert, but it just feels like KC and Buffalo will be 1a & 1b for awhile.

I'm sure I'm not the only Bills fan who rejoices in the idea of getting back to the big game, but immediately thinks, "oh, man - what if we lose a 5th"?  I think the AFC is poised to start a run similar to what the NFC did in the '80's and '90's, and it's a great time to have one of the best AFC teams.

Rogers could end up in Denver with Hackett their new HC, a group of very good receivers and running back.  Brady retiring or staying another year, eh.  Fields might be a force with competent coaching.  Will have to see where Wilson ends up and Murray has potential if he doesn't turn into a head case. Dax has the talent, but he looks to be heading down the path of a giant choker with McCarthy as his HC not helping.  Poor Darnold, could have been very good, but Gase really screwed him over.  Will have to see if he can ever recover.

The KC Puzzle.  No puzzle, we beat them twice in the last two minutes, then let them win. 

The AFC is now loaded with good young QBs.  Top of the heap is Allen, then twinkle toes Mahomes, Jackson, Burrows, Herbert, Watson (if he ever gets to play again), Carr, Mayfield, Tua (with Daboll as his HC), and Tannehill bring up the rear.  Then there is a crop of rookie QBs in NYJ, NE, and Jax.  

The AFC does appear to be the conference to beat with all the up and coming QB talent, but the bottom line is QB's and Coaches are going to be the drivers for how competitive each conference is going to be. 

Just now, zow2 said:

I wouldn't even call Buffalo 1b until they beat KC in a "win or go home" game.  Beating them in the regular season means nothing. Zip. 

Give it up. To argue we dont match up to the chiefs level means you didnt watch the damn game. Last year, sure. This year no.

11 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Give it up. To argue we dont match up to the chiefs level means you didnt watch the damn game. Last year, sure. This year no.

Whose arguing.  Do you understand we have to beat them in the playoffs when these matchups happen?!   

How about all the good AFC teams Buffalo beat during the 90's Championship runs.  Does anyone remember any of those teams? No, they don't.  Because they never beat Buffalo when it mattered.  They are a bunch of footnotes.

17 hours ago, zow2 said:

Whose arguing.  Do you understand we have to beat them in the playoffs when these matchups happen?!   

How about all the good AFC teams Buffalo beat during the 90's Championship runs.  Does anyone remember any of those teams? No, they don't.  Because they never beat Buffalo when it mattered.  They are a bunch of footnotes.

Of course we need to win in the playoffs to do a championship run. I do remember (not really as i was too young) that the bills lost 2 playoff games before that amazing run. 

However that isn't the argument. You basically said we don't match up to the chiefs. Its simply not true as we showed on Sunday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.