Who is the best pass rusher we can get or available via trade

Fred Slacks

58 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Please point out when an edge rusher "changed a game."

They don't and it's why blowing two first round picks on one would be foolish.

You haven’t watched Nick Bosa play apparently.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We just invested a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks in the DE position. I think the team should put faith in the development of the current players. They have all flashed. 

Yea but we are banking a super bowl window on guys developing. I sure hope the front office feels the same as me about the priority. I realize I’m not the pro here but it seems obvious that this is where we are coming up short. Not to mention Beane in his presser eluded to the guys needing to do more/hitting rookie walls. I think he sees the same thing. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

TJ Watt changes games wouldn’t you agree?  Teamed up with an Ed Oliver type maybe. 

I don’t think he’d be available. Maybe Chicago wants to move on from Mack for a rebuild?

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

To be honest, I think a defensive focus is the wrong approach. They arguably have the best player in the league at QB.  If it were me,  I'd put the majority of my resources into supporting him with more speed and playmakers at the skill positions and improved line play,  and aim to have a top 10-15 defense rather than trying to be #1.  

I don’t necessarily disagree. But wouldn’t you say if Josh is playing at the same level as he was in the playoffs that is enough offense?  We just need to make 2-3 more stops against powerful offenses like the Chiefs and some of the up and coming teams?

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

plus even if they sent 2 No.1s for some all world pass rusher, they don't have the cap space to pay the guy $25m per... is what it is.. I see most of this roster coming back , with expensive expendables replaced by low cost draft choices.   That's about all Beane can do.   Heck, I'd go into next year with this exact roster and be pretty darn happy.  

I would be a bit bummed if we didn’t clean up CB. Especially with Tre White not necessarily being ready for the start of the season. Even if Hughes comes back I think they’re looking to add a veteran pass rusher. Remember they made a push for JJ Watt. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

how about Von Miller on Sunday for the Rams 2 forced fumbles.   That was a good trade. 

And of course Von Miller when Denver won SB 50.   He changed many games that year including 2.5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.    Of course great edge rushers can be game changers.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Von Miller literally just had a strip sack on Brady last weekend that helped the Rams win the game. We could have traded for him just the same as the Rams and maybe Mahomes doesnt slip away on all those third downs during the Chiefs first drive...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Marcus Davenport.

High Risk/Reward 

Injury issues for a couple seasons but effective as all get out when playing.

Use him specifically on passing downs???

Next year is season number five and the Saints are going to have a fire sale due to cap issues. Might be a younger guy we can get at an affordable price.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Here’s 3 after 30 seconds of thinking…

Brandon Graham won the Eagles a super bowl with a strip sack of Brady.

Von Miller won the Broncos a Super Bowl with 5 yard lob Peyton Manning as a QB.

Justin Tuck wrecked the perfect season for the Patriots, by shift to inside and becoming unblockable .

Well you lose cause he only asked you to name one

• Haha (+1) 3

Nick Bosa, is a utter beast.....his motor and leverage is unequal in the nfl.  That said, discussion an edge rusher when we get limited pressure from the inside is not going to do much. We might have a chance is stone face Fraizer is offered a job elsewhere. MY concern is we have a great QB now and like the Kelly era, we may have  studs on Defense but the DC just is not good enough.I know people love to point out we were first in the league. I believe that is a product of a weak offensive schedule, bad weather games almost always in buffalo and the fact that Josh and the Offense usually puts the game away by mid 3rd quarter. During the Kelly super bowl era, Levy refused to replace Walt Cory, and it cost us dearly. 

Do we know what we have in Edmunds? I am not sure, but he has a propensity to overrun plays and often takes on blocks he cannot shed..... Is he an impact player in the middle? Poyer and White are top notch, but get little respect in the media.Hard to trust McClappy, Stone Face, and Doughboy Dabol..... My wish is 2 of the 3 are gone. Give Mcdermott one more year, but if he cannot reach the bowl time for a new direction at the helm. 

52 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

I don’t necessarily disagree. But wouldn’t you say if Josh is playing at the same level as he was in the playoffs that is enough offense?  We just need to make 2-3 more stops against powerful offenses like the Chiefs and some of the up and coming teams?

I would be a bit bummed if we didn’t clean up CB. Especially with Tre White not necessarily being ready for the start of the season. Even if Hughes comes back I think they’re looking to add a veteran pass rusher. Remember they made a push for JJ Watt. 

Yes, but I think Allen masks some weaknesses on that side.  They're not particularly fast at WR and they don't have a run after the catch threat.  They could be losing all of Sanders,  Beasley and McKenzie.  The pass protection and running game improved late,  but they could certainly stand some help on the interior OL and an upgrade from Moss. 

Another factor here is that I think these problems are easier to address,  too,  especially in a tight cap year.  You can find some bargain value at WR and RB in FA.  Guards and centers can be found in the mid rounds of the draft.  Add a CB and a slot WR with some run after catch skills with the first two picks.  With that,  you've plugged the major holes without breaking the bank,  either in terms of cap space or draft picks.  The young guys at DE would have to step up,  but at some point,  you have to trust your player evaluations.  At worst,  they should have much more cap room in 2023 to make a major move at DE if they have to. 

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

We just invested a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks in the DE position. I think the team should put faith in the development of the current players. They have all flashed. 

While I think both of those players performed well for rookies and will become better players next season, I'm not sure I want to bank on them becoming consistently good or great players next season. Flashing is one of the silliest terms to use for NFL players. At this level, every player who gets here can 'flash' ability. The value is in players who an do it consistently and the 'edge' position is one of the most difficult to be consistent. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fred Slacks said:

To me this is the biggest offseason question.  There are talented CB's in the draft.  I am sure we can move money and cap to get needed FA's.  But a DE difference maker is what we need.  A game wrecking dude.  Honestly I would trade 2 #1 picks to get one.  At this point I am tired of watching our D-line not get it done.

Side note Gronk s a FA.  Wouldn't hurt adding him as much of a tool as he is.  Great blocker and red zone threat.

What did the Chiefs multiple game wreckers do against Josh Allen?  Nothing.

This is being over exaggerated.  Everyone fan wants double digit sack numbers, but thats not even equal to one play a game.  Getting pressure is what matters the most consistently and we did plenty of that and have a stable of young guys who need to see the field.

I am not against some big time talent at DE, but those are also NOT readily available and also come with cap choking contracts we can't afford.  

Fix the OL, add some depth at CB, and bring in another beefy DT.  All of that is much higher priority and I will bet money the front office sees it that way too.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Nate Geary has been speculating on this on Twitter.  

Danielle Hunter MIN (not too bad of a cap hit in '23)

Marcus Davenport NO (fire sale going on there)

Both are young.  I'd prefer to go young so they aren't gassed in the 4th quarter like Hughes and Addison were.  

Fire sale in NO? Get me Cam Jordan

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

What did the Chiefs multiple game wreckers do against Josh Allen?

This is being over exaggerated.  Everyone wants double digit sack numbers, but thats not even equal to one play a game.  Getting pressure is what matters and we did plenty of that and have a stable of young guys who need to see the field.

I am not against some big time talent at DE, but those are also NOT readily available and also are cap killing contracts.  

Fix the OL, add some depth at CB, and bring in another beefy DT.  All of that is much higher priority and I will bet money the front office sees it that way too.

I don’t disagree with your observations of the Chiefs game wreckers but that doesn’t change my stance. A game wrecker for us would have swayed the outcome of that game. We contained rushed several times because our guys just can’t win one on ones. 

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think you will see a huge jump from Groot next year similar to Ed Oliver.  I think he will be a monster

Ed's gonna be great.

I'm all for beefing up the DL though always. I see a lot of playoff runs based largely on the DL disrupting any good offense.

Anyways, how does a defense not possibly support JA. He beats the Chiefs by a landslide if we get the same pressure Bucs did

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

To be honest, I think a defensive focus is the wrong approach. They arguably have the best player in the league at QB.  If it were me,  I'd put the majority of my resources into supporting him with more speed and playmakers at the skill positions and improved line play,  and aim to have a top 10-15 defense rather than trying to be #1.  

3 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

I don’t disagree with your observations of the Chiefs game wreckers but that doesn’t change my stance. A game wrecker for us would have swayed the outcome of that game. We contained rushed several times because our guys just can’t win one on ones. 

In the game I watched, our guys were pressuring Mahomes a lot, but like Josh he is incredible at getting away.  And those game wreckers the Chiefs had arguably had an even worse day trying to get Allen.  And we got that pressure mostly rushing only 4 and not blitzing.  We beat them in the regular season blitzing zero times too.  

I just think people need to stop over reacting when elite players play elite.  We didn't lose that game because we didn't have a game wrecker at DE is my point.  

I just cant see what a "game wrecker" really changes the last game the way Mahomes and Allen were playing.  We got a lot of pressure on Mahomes throughout the game as it was, many of which would have been sacks of other QBs not named Mahomes, Allen, or Lamar.  

Mahomes and Allen were just on a different level Sunday.  Having Tre White there would have been something that would have had a bigger impact though, like Hill probably doesn't get that long TD if White is in the game.    

So I just don't see that being where we need to invest our limited cap space.  Boost the OL, depth at CB, beef on the DL are where I would focus.  Plus we have 2 second round picks and a first round pick at DE to get on the field this year.  Look at how Oliver finally broke out this year, we need to keep grooming and developing the talent we have here who were all showing good things this past year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.