Better team comp - early to mid 2000's Colts?

bigfootindy

Update for this year… check the comp again…. Very, very strange.

I think a better comparison would be the early to mid 2000 Colts teams.  This team reminds me so much of that Colts team.  If you look at the playoff record they had before they won their Super Bowl, its eerily similar.  Taken from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/playoffs.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/playoffs.htm for reference:

Colts 2000 -> Lost in Wildcard round      Bills 2017 -> Lost in Wildcard round

Colts 2001 -> Missed playoffs      Bills 2018 -> Missed playoffs

Colts 2002 -> Lost in Wildcard round      Bills 2019 -> Lost in Wildcard round

Colts 2003 -> Went to AFC Championship, lost to NE      Bills 2020 -> Went to AFC Championship, lost to KC

Colts 2004 -> Lost to NE in divisional round      Bills 2021 -> Lost to KC in divisional round

Taking a look at what the future might hold, if past is prologue:

Colts 2005 -> Lost in divisional round to Pitt      Bills 2022 -> Lost in divisional round to Cinci

Colts 2006 -> Beat NE in AFC Championship, won Super Bowl      Bills 2023 -> Beat KC in AFC Championship, win Super Bowl?

I'd take that, wouldn't you? 😆

Edited by bigfootindy
Updated stats for 2022 season
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a pretty good comparison. There are obvious differences. But the conventional wisdom as to why the Colts couldn't get over the hump (until they did) was that their defense was too soft. 

But if Mahomes / Allen is the new Brady / Manning than Josh is the Payton to Mahomes Tom.

I'd like to skip a step in that progression and win it all next year please. 

13 minutes ago, bigfootindy said:

With a few days in the rear view mirror, and others talking about comparing this team to the late 80's Bills teams, I think a better comparison would be the early to mid 2000 Colts teams.  This team reminds me so much of that Colts team.  If you look at the playoff record they had before they won their Super Bowl, its eerily similar.  Taken from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/playoffs.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/playoffs.htm for reference:

Colts 2003 -> Went to AFC Championship, lost to NE      Bills 2020 -> Went to AFC Championship, lost to KC

Colts 2004 -> Lost to NE in divisional round      Bills 2021 -> Lost to KC in divisional round

Colts 2005 -> Lost in divisional round to Pitt      Bills 2022 -> ??

Colts 2006 -> Beat NE in AFC Championship, won Super Bowl      Bills 2023 -> Beat KC in AFC Championship, win Super Bowl?

There is some similarity. They were right there with the Pats but couldn't get past them. 

Our time will come.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, bigfootindy said:

With a few days in the rear view mirror, and others talking about comparing this team to the late 80's Bills teams, I think a better comparison would be the early to mid 2000 Colts teams.  This team reminds me so much of that Colts team.  If you look at the playoff record they had before they won their Super Bowl, its eerily similar.  Taken from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/playoffs.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/playoffs.htm for reference:

Colts 2005 -> Lost in divisional round to Pitt      Bills 2022 -> ??

Winning A super bowl? Hell yes.

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There is some similarity. They were right there with the Pats but couldn't get past them. 

Our time will come.

Agreed. It’s going to happen. I read Barnwell’s thesis that the Bills may have blown their best shot to reach the Super Bowl.  Give me a break.  Allen will have a long career, and I get that he’s at the tail of his rookie deal.  But things will happen to other teams, too.  Injuries, flukes, mutual assured destruction (e.g., Burrow takes out Herbert or Mahomes for us next year), etc.  We just need to keep grinding and to keep getting better. 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Agreed. It’s going to happen. I read Barnwell’s thesis that the Bills may have blown their best shot to reach the Super Bowl.  Give me a break.  Allen will have a long career, and I get that he’s at the tail of his rookie deal.  But things will happen to other teams, too.  Injuries, flukes, mutual assured destruction (e.g., Burrow takes out Herbert or Mahomes for us next year), etc.  We just need to keep grinding and to keep getting better. 

That article drove me nuts!  Is it a blown opportunity?  Yeah, but with Allen we've got potentially a decade or more shots at it.  5 years ago we would have killed for one shot, would we not have?  Lets be honest, 15 years ago we would have.  Amazing how much expectations have changed :)

• Like (+1) 1

Great comp, honestly. The Chiefs are obviously the new Patriots. All the other good teams in the AFC will need to find ways to beat them in the playoffs if they want their own shot at a superbowl.

Fans are pretty down thinking that we lost our opportunity for a Superbowl, but there are more opportunities in the future for sure.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Great comp, honestly. The Chiefs are obviously the new Patriots. All the other good teams in the AFC will need to find ways to beat them in the playoffs if they want their own shot at a superbowl.

Fans are pretty down thinking that we lost our opportunity for a Superbowl, but there are more opportunities in the future for sure.

We’re going to get them.  Look.  Both coaching staffs screwed up royally at the end of a game for the ages.  I’m not saying that it shouldn’t hurt, and I’m not saying that we don’t have a number of areas in which to improve.  But they do, too.  The margin is thin.  We just have to be better next time.  And I’m confident that we will get there.  

I’d say the same thing if the field goal at the end of regulation hit an upright and bounced out, or if the last sequence of regulation was handled properly.  It’s literally a game of inches, and it sucks that several months of preparation was wasted by something eminently controllable at the end.  We just have to keep on grinding and good things will happen. 

4 minutes ago, bigfootindy said:

That article drove me nuts!  Is it a blown opportunity?  Yeah, but with Allen we've got potentially a decade or more shots at it.  5 years ago we would have killed for one shot, would we not have?  Lets be honest, 15 years ago we would have.  Amazing how much expectations have changed :)

Not to mention that the list of QB's to win the Superbowl on their rookie deal is much shorter than the list of QB's who did not. You have Mahomes and Wilson from the past decade or more and that's it. The rest were established QB's. Maybe you could include the Eagles because Wentz was on a rookie contract, but he didn't play at all that post-season. Foles did.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, bigfootindy said:

Update for this year… check the comp again…. Very, very strange.

I think a better comparison would be the early to mid 2000 Colts teams.  This team reminds me so much of that Colts team.  If you look at the playoff record they had before they won their Super Bowl, its eerily similar.  Taken from https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/playoffs.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/playoffs.htm for reference:

Colts 2005 -> Lost in divisional round to Pitt      Bills 2022 -> Lost in divisional round to Cinci

Spot on just made this comparison in the post game thread

On 1/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, FrenchConnection said:

The difference in 2006 is that the the AFC Championship was played in Indianapolis. We need to get them at home next time.

Speaking of getting our opponent on home turf...

🤔

36 minutes ago, bigfootindy said:

Obviously, heartbreaking, again.

Reposting this one, this is very, very weird for a comp.

Since you seem to be good at this sort of thing, would you consider whipping up a chart showing head coach, OC, and DC names over the same period of time?

I could look each season up but I'm lazy. 

I wonder if Indy did a lot of coordinator change during that time---or none! 

I assume it was all Tony Dungy the whole time as HC too.

The similarities really are remarkable.  Thing is, the one doesn't have much to do with the other.  

• Agree 1

Tom Moore was Peyton's o coordinator his whole time in Indy. Peyton of course had a to of influence himself. very possibly more than any player ever. 

Indy was finally able to get over the hump because their defense gelled together towards the end of that season. Bob Sanders was finally healthy, and they had Mathis and Freeney who could get to the qb at will when the moment called for it. 

Scary accurate comparison. Feel like we will get a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years with Allen and Diggs still playing great. We are not as far off as people think. Need better luck with injuries, some young talent, to get rid of some players who aren't truly dialed in.

Best of all, the next five years Allen will be 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31. Prime!

13 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Scary accurate comparison. Feel like we will get a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years with Allen and Diggs still playing great. We are not as far off as people think. Need better luck with injuries, some young talent, to get rid of some players who aren't truly dialed in.

Best of all, the next five years Allen will be 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31. Prime!

All the more reason to invest heavily into the offensive line and WR room. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.