Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

IMHO, I think its possible a lot of what people don't like about Edmunds has a lot to do with how he is used and what he is asked to do.  

I would like to see Edmunds one more year but under a different DC who would use his athletic talents in a more aggressive manner, similar to how Dallas uses Parsons.  I would think a new DC would salivate at creating schemes to utilize his speed and size.  

I feel like Edmunds is more used like a third safety more so than an anchor at MLB.  Like they bank on his speed to be able react and get to the ball as a second line of defense instead of him being a main guy up front getting to the RB or QB.  

Which is why a lot of people talk about "where" he makes tackles (too far down field), but thats also where he has been tasked to be or play on those plays too.  The way they use Edmunds is the definition of the bend but don't break approach.  They aren't asking him to blow plays up, they are asking him to prevent the bigger play.  

And this is why I think there is such a disconnect with how players and coaches feel about Edmunds value and performance vs how fans do.  Fans fixate on stat boxes and splashy plays.  But if the player isn't being used in a way to put him into position to make those types of plays, then even though he is doing what he is asked well, they will see it as something different.  

So, honestly, I think Edmunds is a lot better than people give him credit for, he is not perfect, but he is not the bum some make him out to be.  But at the same time, I think whether he stays in Buffalo or not will come down to what an extension would cost.  Beane has never broke the bank in an unreasonable way.  Even Josh Allens contract was quite a good deal from the team stand point as well.  I don't foresee him over paying Edmunds, so its going to come down to what the market dictates and what Edmunds prioritizes to see if there is a deal that makes sense for both sides.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree he would be better in an attacking style defence,  perhaps the Jets would give us their second rounder. 

If anyone offered a 2nd round pick for him I would do it in a heartbeat. The only other option in my eyes is pay him 9M and tell him he's moving to the outside.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMHO, I think its possible a lot of what people don't like about Edmunds has a lot to do with how he is used and what he is asked to do.  

I would like to see Edmunds one more year but under a different DC who would use his athletic talents in a more aggressive manner, similar to how Dallas uses Parsons.  I would think a new DC would salivate at creating schemes to utilize his speed and size.  

I feel like Edmunds is more used like a third safety more so than an anchor at MLB.  Like they bank on his speed to be able react and get to the ball as a second line of defense instead of him being a main guy up front getting to the RB or QB.  

Which is why a lot of people talk about "where" he makes tackles (too far down field), but thats also where he has been tasked to be or play on those plays too.  The way they use Edmunds is the definition of the bend but don't break approach.  They aren't asking him to blow plays up, they are asking him to prevent the bigger play.  

And this is why I think there is such a disconnect with how players and coaches feel about Edmunds value and performance vs how fans do.  Fans fixate on stat boxes and splashy plays.  But if the player isn't being used in a way to put him into position to make those types of plays, then even though he is doing what he is asked well, they will see it as something different.  

So, honestly, I think Edmunds is a lot better than people give him credit for, he is not perfect, but he is not the bum some make him out to be.  But at the same time, I think whether he stays in Buffalo or not will come down to what an extension would cost.  Beane has never broke the bank in an unreasonable way.  Even Josh Allens contract was quite a good deal from the team stand point as well.  I don't foresee him over paying Edmunds, so its going to come down to what the market dictates and what Edmunds prioritizes to see if there is a deal that makes sense for both sides.    

I'm so tired of safe bend don't break defenses. We've witnessed them throughout Bills history. Let Frazier walk and sign Fangio. Stick Tremaine outside where he's belonged since day 1 and let your defense be more aggressive. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If anyone offered a 2nd round pick for him I would do it in a heartbeat. The only other option in my eyes is pay him 9M and tell him he's moving to the outside.

I'm so tired of safe bend don't break defenses. We've witnessed them throughout Bills history. Let Frazier walk and sign Fangio. Stick Tremaine outside where he's belonged since day 1 and let your defense be more aggressive. 

I am honestly hoping Frazier moves on for the same reason.  Guy I really want is Flores, but I would be happy with Fangio too.

• Like (+1) 2

BoBO I Agree 100%   Trade him immediately!!!!

A look into the draft!

We should do everything in our Power to Trade Tremaine Edmunds for a #2/3 pick and use it manoeuvre and navigate in this years draft.  We are so close!!

Our top Priority should be LB Devin Loyd from Utah  - We need speed at Linebacker and this guy is a game wrecker!  We would most likely have to trade up 5+ spots to snag him!

We should also be looking at Dahan Dotson (WR) from Penn State- He has improved a lot and runs a 4.3  ( I will assume that we may or may not re sign Mckenzie)

In addition- another Linebacker in 2nd/3rd round we should be all over is Darrian Beavers- This guy is a beast.

WE NEED to get faster PERIOD!  All Bills Mafia are sick of seeing horrendous coverage in the middle of the field by our backers and people running down hill at them all day!  

I am ok if we need to give up some additional capital, use the pick for Edmunds to move up if need be...   2/3 of these guys would be unreallll

All (3) and I don't see us losing a game next year!   I am serious lol...... 

no champagne for the Dolphins in 2022

10 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How do our players fit in a fangio scheme? How many years to do spend  churning the roster for it?

If told you when he was drafted that in his fourth season,  including the playoffs he would have zero sacks, zero forced fumbles,  2 qb hits, 4 passes defended and one int, AND there was talk of extending him, you would think I was nuts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTr01.htm

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

I think whether or not Frazier moves on, this team would be smart to move Edmunds in the offseason if they can get something like a 2nd rounder in return.

He's not a fit here and even with a possible new DC in Buffalo I don't think we'll make drastic changes (i.e. move to a 3-4) where Edmunds would benefit.

Either way I don't want to hear anymore about his 'ceiling' and 'how young he is' because a guy that has been in the league 4 years at one of the easiest positions to make the college to NFL transition is what he is and a finished product.

22 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well, he is a 2X Pro Bowler.

I agree on a more attack type defense. I really enjoyed our D when Jim Schwartz was here under Marrone, unfortunately not much else.

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Spot on, Tasker has said exactly this many times on WGR.

And, for real, I'd love to see a DC here that would use him in the "blow people up" type of way!  Would he excel, IDK, but might be fun to see! :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dude should've already been traded. He was one of my favorites when he was drafted and his first year. That feeling that he was gonna develop into an absolute monster.

Yeah. That uh. That didn't quite happen. Insane athlete but watching him play now feels like watching somebody who was just explained the rules of football a year or so ago and told to just "do their best out there today."

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.