$2.8M Bills Cap Space (after signing Reserve/Futures)

ColoradoBills

No doubt Brandon Beane and his guys are back at work preparing for next season.

Draft Combine starts March 1st and the Free Agency Negotiating starts March 14th.

Beane will need to open space up for re-signing some of their own so decisions with some of the vets will be coming soon.

No time for self-flagellation.  The Top 51 Cap starts March 16th.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Edited by ColoradoBills
Add link
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Cap space doesn't matter at this time of the season. Need to wait till closer to FA when they move contracts around and release people.

I said above when teams had to be under the cap.  Bills cap money is what it is so I don't see how it doesn't matter?

2 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Cap space almost definitely is going up from the cut back last year

The cap space of $2.8M is after the agreed upon raise.  Cap for this year is $208.2M.

This number was agreed upon between the NFL and the NFLPA earlier last year.

Here is the link for the league.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Based on the simple tools they have i opened up 25 mil in cap space fairly easily.

Restructured Stefon Diggs
(Saved: $5,745,000)

Restructured Tre'Davious White
(Saved: $6,686,250)

Restructured Dion Dawkins
(Saved: $4,730,000)

Released Cole Beasley
(Saved: $6,070,576)

Released Tyler Matakevich
(Saved: $2,500,000)

Released Matt Haack
(Saved: $1,200,000)

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Based on the simple tools they have i opened up 25 mil in cap space fairly easily.

Released Cole Beasley

Released Matt Haack

This. They could save another ~$10MM by cutting Darryl Williams and AJ Klein as well.

Use that money to get an impact player at either position.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

This. They could save another ~$10MM by cutting Darryl Williams and AJ Klein as well.

A guy like Williams is tricky.  After paying Dead Cap they save $5.6M.

I'm not sure you get replacement player who is a big upgrade for that money.

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

They will cut Felicano before they cut Williams.

Morse May retire.....what would that do to his cap number?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Special K said:

They will cut Felicano before they cut Williams.

I agree

I cannot see them cutting Williams a year after having just locked him up. Especially when he still consistently in the starting five. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How many players do we have under contract?  Our cap space need to be weighed along with that.

also

No other way around it....when you start paying a  unicorn QB you HAVE to draft well no more 2nd round picks sitting on the DNP and hardly giving any production.

Currently 53 contracts but 2 (Sanders and Addison) have Void year contracts that will turn into Dead Money soon.

Josh has a hit of $16.4M this coming year and that goes up to $39.8M in 2023.

34 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Released Cole Beasley

Released Matt Haack

With Josh’s new contract, isn’t he able to convert some of it in a manner to free up more cap space?

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

With Josh’s new contract, isn’t he able to convert some of it in a manner to free up more cap space?

I don't see much if any.  Josh is under his 5th year option this year.  His big hits don't start until 2023.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Released Cole Beasley

Released Matt Haack

I expect most of these moves, but they aren’t as clean as they look.  Diggs will almost certainly want a pay raise and/or extension so the savings  probably will be somewhat different.  Players like Beasley, Haack and Matakevich will need to be replaced and that’s not free.  Our WR corps without Beasley is pretty much just Diggs and Davis.  I think Beasley gets swapped out for another vet and we draft another WR.  That vet will cost something.

There are plenty of other needs as well, starting with CB2.  The good news is that, as you point out, we can create space.  The bad news is that we are going to need it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

i think we save some money by having fewer DL men on the roster, one of the highest paid positions in the NFL.  i think we need to drop some bank on chandler jones tho.

Morse maybe retire, williams can be let go and replaced by a rookie (a real OG who can play better year 1 is doable imo).

restructures could move some money around and the dead money fall off in 2023 from star and other guys will come back.

bottom line, we can let some of our over paid jags walk, and we will have to replace a couple starters kinda cheap in order to poney up for a pass rusher.

we pay a lot of guys who don't make much contribution, which lets us move some money around now as we get a bit of a release in 2023

3 minutes ago, colin said:

we pay a lot of guys who don't make much contribution, which lets us move some money around now as we get a bit of a release in 2023

I agree with a lot of your points but this 2023 big cap raise will be totally eaten up by Josh's raise.

All things being equal Josh has a $23.4M cap jump in 2023.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree with a lot of your points but this 2023 big cap raise will be totally eaten up by Josh's raise.

All things being equal Josh has a $23.4M cap jump in 2023.  

true, we need more positions to be filled by young players drafted in the past and next two drafts to replace guys.  the addisons and butlers and williams and houghs and kliens and mattlewitch's and sanders of this team must all be let go.

we see rookie cbs come in for injured starters and 3rd string olinemen play at a meh level all over the nfl.  they would be worse than the above guys, but not glaringly so, and we just got smoked by the same 3 friggen super stars who nuked us 2 times last year and once this year.  in the modern nfl, play makers and jags are what make up a championship team, and we have the biggest play maker in the nfl for a long time.  we just have to make sure we have a couple other play makers (really, i think if we come out of the offseason w a legit pass rusher we are golden) and not spend too much on jags.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Special K said:

Per Spotrac drops his impact from $11.25mm to $3.75mm so $7.5mm savings  Does not take into account cost of new payer to replace him.  Feliciano is already on the books. Bates would be an upcharge from $0 (as an RFA) to whatever he agrees to say $3.75mm.  Morse savings minus Bates 2022 cost would yield $3.75mm in cap savings.  My bet is Bills draft a C/G in Rd 3 as well for depth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, colin said:

true, we need more positions to be filled by young players drafted in the past and next two drafts to replace guys.  the addisons and butlers and williams and houghs and kliens and mattlewitch's and sanders of this team must all be let go.

we see rookie cbs come in for injured starters and 3rd string olinemen play at a meh level all over the nfl.  they would be worse than the above guys, but not glaringly so, and we just got smoked by the same 3 friggen super stars who nuked us 2 times last year and once this year.  in the modern nfl, play makers and jags are what make up a championship team, and we have the biggest play maker in the nfl for a long time.  we just have to make sure we have a couple other play makers (really, i think if we come out of the offseason w a legit pass rusher we are golden) and not spend too much on jags.

I couldn't agree more.  I just mentioned in the Gabe Davis thread about him on GMFB that he was a A+ pick as a 4th rounder.

I guess my point is, hoping to improve by big free agents is not the way I see Beane going.  The draft will be the hope of the future.

I'm not saying Beane will not get a guy in FA he feels he needs to target it's just dumping the old guys for a new bunch of new FAs is

probably not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.