$2.8M Bills Cap Space (after signing Reserve/Futures)

ColoradoBills

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Addison and Hughes are already free agents.  There is nothing to release.

Feliciano may be released, as may Ford.

If he retires, the Bills can ask him to repay the remaining portion of his amortized bonus.  I don't know if they would.

This is what I tried to say in my OP.  The Spotrac starting point I cited is after the cap increase and after all the players whose

contracts have expired.  So many of these cap space threads have replies that are not capturing the facts.

We (and others) are on the same page.

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If Morse retires (God I hope not) is that another 11 million?

I would like one more year of Morse with somebody in the middle of the draft to develop for a year. But we do have some room here. Feliciano has filled in at center well (serviceable?) in the past. So Mitch taking care of his brain wouldn’t break the OL. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It will, but to my understanding it will go up to its pre-agreed maximum of $208M which is the figure Spotrac is working with

Beane may or may not read us some tea leaves in his post- season presser

My guess is that the Bills will clear about $16k of roster space with perhaps 2-3 cuts and a couple of re-signings or renegotiations.

They will use that to try to re-sign Phillips, Zimmer, Bates, and  yes, Wallace (sorry folks).

Neal, Boettger and McKenzie as lower priorities.

They will hope to have some cash after that to go after 1-2 mid-price FA for the returner/speed guy position and at DE.

I could be wrong and they might prioritize bringing back Hughes or Addison - I don't think they had the development that they want from the young guys at DE yet.

Holistically I agree on the above. Our current FA and cap situation is basically a ton of guys we would love to keep around, but no must haves. It will be a balancing act this year for sure. 

I think this is one of those tipping points some franchises run into. I don’t know why but it feels like margin for error this year with our FA group, restructures, and the draft, is razor thin. More so than usual. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I would like one more year of Morse with somebody in the middle of the draft to develop for a year. But we do have some room here. Feliciano has filled in at center well (serviceable?) in the past. So Mitch taking care of his brain wouldn’t break the OL. 

Holistically I agree on the above. Our current FA and cap situation is basically a ton of guys we would love to keep around, but no must haves. It will be a balancing act this year for sure. 

I think this is one of those tipping points some franchises run into. I don’t know why but it feels like margin for error this year with our FA group, restructures, and the draft, is razor thin. More so than usual. 

I swear I couldn't agree with your 3 points quoted more.  Please copy this and re-post every time it's needed, and I will "like" it every time.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Based on the simple tools they have i opened up 25 mil in cap space fairly easily.

Restructured Stefon Diggs
(Saved: $5,745,000)

Restructured Tre'Davious White
(Saved: $6,686,250)

Restructured Dion Dawkins
(Saved: $4,730,000)

Released Cole Beasley
(Saved: $6,070,576)

Released Tyler Matakevich
(Saved: $2,500,000)

Released Matt Haack
(Saved: $1,200,000)

Unless Beasley agrees to a significant restructure, I agree that he is Release Candidate #1.  Even then, the Bills may be ready to move on.

31 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I swear I couldn't agree with your 3 points quoted more.  Please copy this and re-post every time it's needed, and I will "like" it every time.

Will do. I love my fake internet points.

I actually don’t use the “agree” button ever. It doesn’t give anybody their +1. I am fully aware that that is a completely absurd thing to do. But whatever. Ha

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Will do. I love my fake internet points.

I actually don’t use the “agree” button ever. It doesn’t give anybody their +1. I am fully aware that that is a completely absurd thing to do. But whatever. Ha

Since they don't put the points up next to your Avatar anymore, I guess it doesn't matter.

LOL.

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Well, this sucks...was hoping to add an impact player or two...

I think the smart move long term is to treat FA with a “don’t lose ground” approach. Keep and restructure who we need to to make sure the OL, DB, and DL groups don’t get worse. 

We absolutely NEED more impact week 1 from our top 100 picks. 

Oliver is becoming really disruptive. Philips is better than the JAG designation he had a year or two ago. Basham has come on late (kind of), Rousseau has been OK. But we need guys picked as top 100 college players to enter the league and be more disruptive in their performance. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

A guy like Williams is tricky.  After paying Dead Cap they save $5.6M.

I'm not sure you get replacement player who is a big upgrade for that money.

Williams played fine at og, he gets a restructure or another year added to move the money around

• Like (+1) 2

CB2 or guard can be selected in Rd 1 or 2. We then need to add another decent guard in FA. I don’t think we need another WR besides Davis and Diggs. McKenzie if he wants to sign for a discount. Otherwise, I’m sure we can draft his clone in Rd 3 or 4. I would like another TE to complement Knox. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I expect most of these moves, but they aren’t as clean as they look.  Diggs will almost certainly want a pay raise and/or extension so the savings  probably will be somewhat different.  Players like Beasley, Haack and Matakevich will need to be replaced and that’s not free.  Our WR corps without Beasley is pretty much just Diggs and Davis.  I think Beasley gets swapped out for another vet and we draft another WR.  That vet will cost something.

There are plenty of other needs as well, starting with CB2.  The good news is that, as you point out, we can create space.  The bad news is that we are going to need it. 

Diggs already got a raise.  I think he’d rather a Ring

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

How many players do we have under contract?  Our cap space need to be weighed along with that.

also

No other way around it....when you start paying a  unicorn QB you HAVE to draft well no more 2nd round picks sitting on the DNP and hardly giving any production.

Here is a link to a list of our 16 free agents to factor in:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I expect most of these moves, but they aren’t as clean as they look.  Diggs will almost certainly want a pay raise and/or extension so the savings  probably will be somewhat different.  Players like Beasley, Haack and Matakevich will need to be replaced and that’s not free.  Our WR corps without Beasley is pretty much just Diggs and Davis.  I think Beasley gets swapped out for another vet and we draft another WR.  That vet will cost something.

There are plenty of other needs as well, starting with CB2.  The good news is that, as you point out, we can create space.  The bad news is that we are going to need it. 

It's going to be tight and we do have to watch how the restructures will impact future years. It comes down to what year or 2 you push the chips in, knowing that you will have one year where the bill comes due and you have to time that right. 

CB is not going to be a simple position to fill and I'm fairly certain Levi is gone, unless he takes quite a bit less...

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

True, but then article then says it gives them 10.9m in cap space for next season. 

Unless this is after the 11 players signed to future contracts. 

IIRC, the 10.9m is based on the contracts falling off the books. The difference of the sum of the top 51 under contract plus the roll over plus the dead cap and then deducted from the cap of $208m. 

14 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

CB2 or guard can be selected in Rd 1 or 2. We then need to add another decent guard in FA. I don’t think we need another WR besides Davis and Diggs. McKenzie if he wants to sign for a discount. Otherwise, I’m sure we can draft his clone in Rd 3 or 4. I would like another TE to complement Knox. 

Seems like you fail to recall what we need with a wr and knowing the route trees and making reads and adjustments and being on the same page as Josh, hard for a rookie to do. This is one reason why Davis didn't play a whole ton this year and we brought in Sanders. 

We are at the stage where we will lose depth, which is why this year was a great year for us to run it back, unfortunately we came up short. We have to be very careful about who gets swapped out and how many players you end up replacing in key positions. One of the things that makes our offense great is being able to spread the ball around, depth can't be taken away from there, you just can't expect a rookie to jump right in....

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

A diggs extension will knock his cap number down

If we move forward with the assumption that Gabe is now the undisputed #2 WR, then I'd like to see them add Jamison Crowder to fill the Beasley role for the next couple years.  Coming off a couple seasons with the Jets, he should be able to be had for a decent price and providing he can stay healthy, would likely be an upgrade over Beasley moving forward as Cole's play has trended in the wrong direction, fast.

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Lol.  It’s always so hilarious to read fans say that players should - or even better yet, WANT to - be paid millions less than what they are worth so that the team can get a ring.  But let’s get some stuff straight first.   Diggs did not get a raise.  The Bills converted some of his 2021 salary into a signing bonus to free up cap space.  He did not get any more money.  Also despite being a top 5 WR he is currently 17th in AAV.  That position will drop further after free agency, even after Amari Cooper gets cut.  Diggs should be comfortably top 10 at least.

Why should he take less than he’s worth?  So another player can get paid more?  So YOU can have a marginally better chance at seeing the Bills win a championship?  You want a man to give up eight figures for that?  And you want him to do it to play with a QB that didn’t give up a dime on his new contract (nor should he have)?  Please.  The man is one of the best WRs in the game (just ask anyone on this board) and he deserves to be paid as such.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.