Josh Allen end of season press conference & other player media sessions

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The disconnect is perhaps between those who feel Mahomes just played out of his skin and those who thought we made it very easy for him.

Yeah, that GW throw was due to bad defense.  

yet, the chiefs fans are saying that the only reason josh played so well was because he was throwing to wide open gabe Davis because they were missing mathieu and Fenton.  Mahomes’ pass was threaded to a well covered Kelce.  The chiefs coaches made mistakes and josh capitalized. It works both ways.  

either way…..my point is and will always be, you have to win a SB if you want to be crowned the best QB.  

There’s nothing more to say that I haven’t already said 

agree to disagree.  I appreciate your level headed discussion and apologize if I offended.  

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Im trying to be kind. Just because you say the same thing four times doesn't make it any less of a worse take on what happened. Allen won the game twice. The defense lost it.  Unless you advocate for Allen taking a knee and then scoring with no time on the clock there is literally nothing else Allen could have done to win that game. He is a winner. McDermott is a loser. 

Judging QBs by win loss record is just incredibly stupid. By every category Marino was better than Kelly but Marino did not have Thurman and Bruce. Its a team sport and Allen's team and coaching staff lost the game. 

He never won the game even once.  

If what you say is true and allen won the game twice, then Mahomes also won the game twice….but his defense lost it…. See how that works?

Edited by NewEra
  • Disagree 2

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, that GW throw was due to bad defense.  

yet, the chiefs fans are saying that the only reason josh played so well was because he was throwing to wide open gabe Davis because they were missing mathieu and Fenton.  Mahomes’ pass was threaded to a well covered Kelce.  The chiefs coaches made mistakes and josh capitalized. It works both ways.  

either way…..my point is and will always be, you have to win a SB if you want to be crowned the best QB.  

There’s nothing more to say that I haven’t already said 

agree to disagree.  I appreciate your level headed discussion and apologize if I offended.  

He never won the game even once.  

If what you say is true and allen won the game twice, then Mahomes also won the game twice….but his defense lost it…. See how that works?

Agreed, I guess every fanbase is harsh on their team without giving credit to the other. We seem to be a franchise that has a spectacular number of “why” and “if only” though.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Of course they're going to say it, but with Mahomes around I'm not sure if Josh can be called the best quarterback in the NFL. Two SB appearances later and we can revisit it.

(Yes, still irrational, yes, Mahomes probably has a better team around him... urgh. When will I stop taking every comment badly?)

They are two different things.  You can be the best QB and still have not won a SB.  This is especially the case with Allen versus Mahomes because they are both young and we have no idea what the future holds for both guys. 

We do know that Allen was drafted a year after Mahomes and came to a team that was in a total rebuild. Mahomes went to to team that was a regular playoff contender and already loaded on the offensive side of the ball.  Their race started out at a different time and in very different places.  If the only advantage Mahomes has is his Super Bowl win and appearance then they are in fact equal as quarterbacks.

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

They are two different things.  You can be the best QB and still have not won a SB.  This is especially the case with Allen versus Mahomes because they are both young and we have no idea what the future holds for both guys. 

We do know that Allen was drafted a year after Mahomes and came to a team that was in a total rebuild. Mahomes went to to team that was a regular playoff contender and already loaded on the offensive side of the ball.  Their race started out at a different time and in very different places.  If the only advantage Mahomes has is his Super Bowl win and appearance then they are in fact equal as quarterbacks.

I disagree.  Not when the current best qb is beating you and winning Super Bowls while also playing lights out football.  He was great yesterday too

The gap has been closed and everyone knows josh is elite.  Not sure why he has to be viewed as the best while never even reaching a super bowl .

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I disagree.  Not when the current best qb is beating you and winning Super Bowls while also playing lights out football.  He was great yesterday too

The gap has been closed and everyone knows josh is elite.  Not sure why he has to be viewed as the best while never even reaching a super bowl .

And when our record in one score games this year is 0-6.

Meant to say, no offence taken earlier as well.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: why do you think McD doesn't have strong input/oversight into the design of the defense?

I think it is his defense, but how it gets executed play to play, I believe he defers to his coordinators.   That defense can be executed more aggressively and more physically.  Yesterday, it wasn't.  McD spoke about "execution" defensively in his presser.  I think he was thinking coaching as well as players.

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

IMO this is only true after a players career is over.  When judging two players head to head who are young with 10 - 15 years ahead of them it's possible to declare that the QB who hasn't yet won a SB is better then one who has. 

In the case of the race between Allen & Mahomes it matters that they started in very different situations. Mahomes has been in the NFL a year longer and more importantly started out at a very different place then Allen did. Mahomes came to an established playoff team with an experienced head coach and an offense already loaded with talent.  Allen came to an historically dysfunctional franchise (over the last 20 years) undergoing a rebuild with a 2nd year head coach and 1st year GM. 

I mean Mahomes was throwing to a TE named Kelsy his first two seasons while Allen was throwing to a TE named Clay his first two seasons.

And for the record I think Mahomes is a spectacular talent.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

And when our record in one score games this year is 0-6.

Meant to say, no offence taken earlier as well.

And he had opportunities to win at the end

tenn- he slipped and the OL got mashed.  

Jax-  got sacked and 2 incompletions- OL got mashed.  

NE- hurricane  

TB - we won the coin flip and went 3 and out. 

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Because the Super Bowl criteria only matters if you're comparing QB's at the end of their careers.  Allen started so far behind Mahomes with respect to almost every conceivable metric in what it takes for a TEAM to reach and win a  SB that you need to let the fullness of time play out before using the SB as a deciding criteria.

There's a chance that Mac Jones may win a Super Bowl before Justin Herbert.  Does that make Jones a better QB then Herbert? Or would it be fair to say that Mac Jones and Trevor Lawrence started out at the same place in NE & Jacksonville?  I could see Lawrence clearly becoming a better QB then Jones but Jones winning a SB before him.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean they are 1A and 1B at this point. Allen is every bit as good a Mahomes and showed it yesterday.

Yup...Allen deserved better. He put this team on his back.

They are both great obviously. Maybe it’s the homer in me but I just don’t think Pat would have had the game Josh did running the Bills offence yesterday. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to get a full understanding of what you're saying. So if I have this right, you have to win a superbowl in order to be considered the best. I disagree with that because the NFL is a team sport. As we saw last night, a QB can only do so much. He doesn't play defense. You said earlier McDermott f'd up and doesn't give Josh a win. So that's not Josh's fault and it shouldn't factor in him being considered the best or not. By winning the Superbowl logic, does that mean Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Josh? Nick Foles?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

IMO this is only true after a players career is over.  When judging two players head to head who are young with 10 - 15 years ahead of them it's possible to declare that the QB who hasn't yet won a SB is better then one who has. 

In the case of the race between Allen & Mahomes it matters that they started in very different situations. Mahomes has been in the NFL a year longer and more importantly started out at a very different place then Allen did. Mahomes came to an established playoff team with an experienced head coach and an offense already loaded with talent.  Allen came to an historically dysfunctional franchise (over the last 20 years) undergoing a rebuild with a 2nd year head coach and 1st year GM. 

I mean Mahomes was throwing to a TE named Kelsy his first two seasons while Allen was throwing to a TE named Clay his first two seasons.

And for the record I think Mahomes is a spectacular talent.

Fair points.  All of that matters and I agree with nearly all of it. 

Mahomes has already been crowned and has done nothing to relinquish the title.  The world isn’t going to crown Josh just because his coaches and D failed him.  The world will recognize josh as elite and some on par with Mahomes while allowing Mahomes to wear the crown as we all wait impatiently for the next showdown.  Mahomes’ throw to win the game was epic.  Just an amazing threading of the needle. He can’t lose the belt after making that throw to win the game. It’s unsportsmanlike.  

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

I don't know......  I was sad after the loss last year.  It's different for me this year.  I'm not sad.  I'm pissed off.  Any common sense at the end of that game last night and we're getting ready for the Bengals here for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.  But the coaches did EVERYTHING wrong after our go-ahead TD and if they would have done just 1 thing right, everything is different today.

So yeah.....I'm not sad this year.  I am very mad and angry.

Can’t say anything negative about McClappy on here. Watch out.

4 minutes ago, Dr Krentist said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to get a full understanding of what you're saying. So if I have this right, you have to win a superbowl in order to be considered the best. I disagree with that because the NFL is a team sport. As we saw last night, a QB can only do so much. He doesn't play defense. You said earlier McDermott f'd up and doesn't give Josh a win. So that's not Josh's fault and it shouldn't factor in him being considered the best or not. By winning the Superbowl logic, does that mean Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Josh? Nick Foles?

When the current best qb in the world has proven to be a champion and has ended the challenging QBs last two seasons, I don’t see how anyone can give the title to the challenger.  MAYBE if Mahomes had a bad game and was carried…..maaaaaybe. But Mahomes was great.  He doesn’t deserve to lose the title.  He just doesn’t.  

You disagree.  You’re allowed.  👍🏻 

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

You can see the pain in his eyes. 

I love what Davis said about this being the standard for the O every week. 

Going to be a long off season 

Now they realize what it takes every week. Just like the 89 Bills did after their heartbreaking loss. Come back better and tear the league apart next year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Now they realize what it takes every week. Just like the 89 Bills did after their heartbreaking loss. Come back better and tear the league apart next year.

I can see them going 15-2 or something amazing like that , just demolishing teams. I truly believe Allen when he says he's going to turn this terrible feeling into fire n motivation and being that his teammates love him n respect him so much, I think it'll resonate throughout the locker room 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I can see them going 15-2 or something amazing like that , just demolishing teams. I truly believe Allen when he says he's going to turn this terrible feeling into fire n motivation and being that his teammates love him n respect him so much, I think it'll resonate throughout the locker room 

With Injuries there is an element of luck to this. Not to mention who knows if and how COVID will impact the next season and its associated preparation.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sure, on the field, they’re equals.  Unfortunately, the only thing that matters is winning. Until Josh beats Mahomes in the playoffs and wins a SB, he’s trailing the race to be the best 

You’re correct, it’s just insane that the only reason you’re correct is because of our coaches and defense.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.