I believe THE FANS take these losses harder than THE TEAM. What say ye?

TampaBillsJunkie

17 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This one will certainly take some time to get the stench off but at the end of the day life moves on.

But hopefully this team finally realizes that home field matters especially against a team and QB that has ended their season 2 years in a row on the road.

As usual far off the mark. Not sure if you watched the game but the result had little to nothing to do with home field. Josh Allen stuck a knife in the Chiefs heart on his final drive and started with just over a minute to play. McDermott and Frazier pulled it out for them. If they don’t do that EVERY road team would have won their playoff game in the divisional round. You’re just flat wrong. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m sure some fans take it harder than some players.

I’m sure sure players take it harder than some fans.

This is probably the most accurate answer. 

I made the trip to KC and am still here, and as devastating as it was last night I got up this morning, got some exercise and some coffee and breakfast and talked to some locals and had a good time and it sucks to not get to celebrate and plan going to Buffalo or the Super Bowl but now I’m just planning other things. 

While some fans take it harder, I imagine a lot of us just get on with our lives for the most part. I mean I’m still here posting while I’m working but obviously that’ll fade since we’re out. For the players this is their everyday job. I still imagine it’s harder on them if I had to choose. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/bills-devastated-hurt-heartbreaking-loss-143627023.html

A snippet "Fellow safety, Micah Hyde, talked about the bond in the locker room and how tough moments like this really dawn on you once the clock runs down to zero.

“Something you don’t really think about until you take the last snap,” Hyde said. “Walking off the field you realize, this is the NFL. You don’t have the same roster each and every year, coaches included. We’ve been together… a lot of us have been together for five years and that might not be the case… we’re literally like brothers in the locker room. We’ve celebrated, we’ve failed together, we’ve cried together, we’ve laughed together throughout the years and then when something like that happens today, it’s a hard way to go out. It’s tough, it’s tough.”

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

At the end of the day, I think these losses are way tougher on our die hard fan base. Players are disappointed, not devastated. Players get their game checks, they give their all, but the truth is that they move on. They may play for another team. They may retire. They may get hurt and end their careers. But their love of the team and the city doesn't last a lifetime (except Jimbo maybe) Owners change. Teams move cities. There's no lasting commitment outside the fans.

I have to say that I have no idea how hard these losses are on players, but as I understand it, for players on successful teams, football is pretty much their life 6.5 days a week for 6 months a year in a way non-players really can't imagine. 

When dedicated, successful people put that much of their life into something, it hurts in a way the casual bystander can't possibly understand when it fails, even if they themselves have done everything they could to help the team succeed. 

I think it's one thing to lose a game where you're just overmastered and don't have a chance from the start, but to have it come down to the final 13 seconds of the game and then OT is just brutal.

Yes, I think the average DIE HARD fan does take it harder than the current Bills player, largely because there is a LOT more that goes into it for the fan.

This does not mean that the players don't care, or don't take it hard!  I'm sure they are all highly disappointed.

But no one takes it harder than the fans.  It's also why fans really FEEL "rivalries" where as I don't think rivalries even exist for players.

Some "fans" aren't going to be gutted, but those aren't hard core fans to begin with.

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This is probably the most accurate answer. 

I made the trip to KC and am still here, and as devastating as it was last night I got up this morning, got some exercise and some coffee and breakfast and talked to some locals and had a good time and it sucks to not get to celebrate and plan going to Buffalo or the Super Bowl but now I’m just planning other things. 

While some fans take it harder, I imagine a lot of us just get on with our lives for the most part. I mean I’m still here posting while I’m working but obviously that’ll fade since we’re out. For the players this is their everyday job. I still imagine it’s harder on them if I had to choose. 

Thanks.

I’m still laying in bed.  Usually thinking about the moment josh connected with Davis, 13 seconds left.  The joy I was feeling.  I had tears in my eyes thinking about how lucky we are to have 17.  That was a moment I’ll remember forever.  

I keep reading about the “reasons we lost” “who’s to blame” “who to fire” “how can we fix this”

we were in a heavyweight title fight and lost by a split decision. There are several reasons we lost.  Several people that can be blamed. No one that should be fired.  nothing needs to be fixed.  This team was capable of winning the super bowl.  

We could’ve done other things in the offseason or during the regular season that may have given us a better chance to win it all…..but they also could’ve given us a lesser chance.  We don’t know.  What we do know is…. This team is championship caliber.  Now it’s time to regroup and continue to be resilient.  Use this as motivation.  Do not let this break us

• Like (+1) 1

If you look at the players as “hired guns,” then it makes sense the average fan will take the loss harder than the average player. Josh Allen didn’t grow up a Bills fan, he wasn’t born when “wide right” happened and hasn’t had to endure the many devastating losses in this franchise’s history, BUT he’s here now and he’s Bills through and through. With the amount of work that he put into this season, no doubt he feels worse for the fans than himself, while we feel sorrier for ourselves because the joys of celebrating a Super Bowl will have to wait yet again.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

Thanks.

I’m still laying in bed.  Usually thinking about the moment josh connected with Davis, 13 seconds left.  The joy I was feeling.  I had tears in my eyes thinking about how lucky we are to have 17.  That was a moment I’ll remember forever.  

I keep reading about the “reasons we lost” “who’s to blame” “who to fire” “how can we fix this”

we were in a heavyweight title fight and lost by a split decision. There are several reasons we lost.  Several people that can be blamed. No one that should be fired.  nothing needs to be fixed.  This team was capable of winning the super bowl.  

We could’ve done other things in the offseason or during the regular season that may have given us a better chance to win it all…..but they also could’ve given us a lesser chance.  We don’t know.  What we do know is…. This team is championship caliber.  Now it’s time to regroup and continue to be resilient.  Use this as motivation.  Do not let this break us

The way they handled the last 13 seconds was inexcusable to me. No one knows what would have happened next week in Buffalo or in the SB, but this is absolutely an opportunity that should not have been lost. I think you need more speed on offense, but overall, as often, I agree with your sentiments.

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

I can't speak for everyone here, but I can assure you if I had received even a rookie minimum game check for last night's performance which should amount to roughly $41,000 -- I would be taking this loss much better, yes. 

But you missed out on winning $41,000 of the check you would have cashed for playing next week....

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks.

Haha well we agree on some of that. I disagree though that some things shouldn’t be attempted to be fixed. 

I think we both agree with how special #17 is and what he puts in and what he gives us and leaves on the field. Literally everything. 

I don’t feel that way with McD. That guy does not give his team their best chance to win on game day. It’s been a problem since he got here. He is probably a good teacher of the game but he had cost us big on the biggest stages again and again. The blunders yesterday, coaching scared in last years AFC championship game, not knowing that a tie would have eliminated us vs the Colts in his first year…a lot of this is about preparation and work ethic.

That’s not even getting into the depths of his awful timeout usage, horrendous history of challenges, and scheme issues late in games. This was year 5 and he still makes rookie mistakes as a HC, he really hasn’t grown and developed all that much. 

I think most coaches could get to the playoffs yearly with Josh. I give credit that he was part of the decision to draft him and he’s been part of developing him…but I don’t think that means we should settle moving forward. 

I want a coach that brings the same level of preparation and work ethic and has the fearlessness of #17. That guy is clearly not Sean McDermott. 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Haha well we agree on some of that. I disagree though that some things shouldn’t be attempted to be fixed. 

I think we both agree with how special #17 is and what he puts in and what he gives us and leaves on the field. Literally everything. 

I don’t feel that way with McD. That guy does not give his team their best chance to win on game day. It’s been a problem since he got here. He is probably a good teacher of the game but he had cost us big on the biggest stages again and again. The blunders yesterday, coaching scared in last years AFC championship game, not knowing that a tie would have eliminated us vs the Colts in his first year…a lot of this is about preparation and work ethic.

That’s not even getting into the depths of his awful timeout usage, horrendous history of challenges, and scheme issues late in games. This was year 5 and he still makes rookie mistakes as a HC, he really hasn’t grown and developed all that much. 

I think most coaches could get to the playoffs yearly with Josh. I give credit that he was part of the decision to draft him and he’s been part of developing him…but I don’t think that means we should settle moving forward. 

I want a coach that brings the same level of preparation and work ethic and has the fearlessness of #17. That guy is clearly not Sean McDermott. 

Where did I say that we shouldn’t attempt to fix anything?  

my comments were regarding this past season.  This season is over.  My feeling we’re regarding this last season.  Every acquisition that we made or didn’t make.  Every game that was played.  Every call that was called.  We were good enough.  This team had what it takes.  

Of course we should try and add speed @ WR, upgrade the OL, DL, CB, replace coaches that will be leaving, devise new wrinkles in our offense and defense…..ALWAYS evolving.  That’s been my mantra.  Stay the same and you usually fall behind.  I was just saying that the 2021 Bills were good enough.  Our plan to build a super bowl champion failed as we didn’t win it all…..but we were good enough.  It just didn’t happen.  I don’t think there was too much we could’ve done differently (except draft creed Humphrey and Trey smith 😊 😃 😀) that would’ve changed the outcome other than a couple ST defensive play calls.  

i think it depends on the player.  see it from their perspective.  if you're someone who knows they are here for the long term like josh than ya it hurts you're invested.   But if you're just hanging onto a roster spot not knowing where or if you're gonna be on a team from season to season i can't imagine you would be that devastated.  Just human nature.  

Obviously as a fan thats lived through 4 straight and no goal this just sucks.  Honestly though i think the long term suckage by the bills until recently and no goal just kinda killed something inside of me.  I do celebrate but not like before.  just like this game.  I knew they would find a way to lose.  the bigger the moment the greater the likelihood of bills f**kup.  Its so buffalo.  Lately I've been dreading game day more than looking forward to the experience.  I feel relieved when the games are over like when a visit to the dentist is done.  I know not healthy but thats what that much failure does to you i guess.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

While I agree about it being a job, the passion was there last night from both of these teams, QBs, coaches, etc.

This was a defining moment in all their lives and for the Bills players that will be back on the 2022 roster they will have to be the ones that do whatever they can to move on from this loss and change the course of the franchise's history.

Spot on.  Josh looked like a man possessed on the last two drives in regulation and on the sideline.  His paycheck was the last thing on his mind at that point.

Edited by strive_for_five_guy
  • Agree 1

Absolutely, most of us have a lifetime/decades of heartbreak invested in this, while most of these guys have been with the team for a few years.  While it hurts to lose a game like that, they get to home to their mansions, sports cars, luxurious off season vacations, and millions $ while we are back to the grind with nothing but another season ending in heartbreak. After decades just when you thought you'd seen and experienced it all, this team, the one you swore was different, just found a new way to rip your heart out of your chest and stomp on it in front of you... only now your children bear witness to this unspeakable torment you have just endured and thus will never see you in the same light again.

Yes, it definitely hurts us worse.  It's our city, it's our team, and it sure af felt like it was supposed to be our time as fans.

• Agree 1

I don't mean any disrespect, but if anyone takes this loss harder than a player then they probably need to examine some priorities in their life.  Look, this was a devastating loss...but its a game for entertainment, should not change your life one way or the other.  But the players are the ones putting in all the work, going through all the pain, fighting for every inch out there.  Trust me, as a competitive person myself, nothing is worse than taking place in the loss.  

As a fan, I sat there in stunned disbelief and disappointment for a couple hours while my fiance graciously cleaned up after our get together while I was just sulking on my phone dealing with hundreds of text messages and on TSW.  But then when she was done, we cuddled up and watched a movie and went to bed together and woke up to another day beginning as it always will until it doesn't.  

Life is too short to over attach oneself to the outcome of a sports game and let it drag you into a dark funk for an extended period of time.  As a competitor, I can tell you that I take losses in games I personally play in harder than any sports team I cheer for, and I am not even on the professional level. 

For example, it eats at me more when I have a bad outing at our regular Saturday basketball game or if I am off in my weekly corn hole game here on Thursdays with friends.  Being a competitor and losing always sucks more than cheering for someone and they lose.  I am way too competitive, and so are most the players in the NFL, so I am certain those players and coaches are taking it harder than most the fans.  At least that should be the case...again if you are taking harder than them, then I think you should take a break as you might be taking fan hood to seriously in this short trip called life.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.