Is Super Bowl victory or bust realistic?

CorkScrewHill

I have seen some odds and the Bills are listed at 25% to win the Super Bowl behind GB and KC.  I view this game against KC as the biggest hurdle.  They will and they will roll through Tenn/Cin winner and into the Super Bowl.   I have said this before, no NFC team scares me.  Bills are poised for a great run.

8 hours ago, uninja said:

If the Pats v Bills SWC Bills show up the rest of the tournament its gonna be 3 more hilarious blow outs while the Bills and Josh Allen go Super Saiyan level 3 on the other teams.

Play like that, for 3 more games, and the Super Bowl is a foregone conclusion.

Really?  You think so?  If we score 7 touchdowns on our first 7 possessions we're in good shape here on out?

LMFAO

😂

IF the Bills lost a good game to the Chiefs then I think this season is a success. The bust part is hard for me to get my head around. 

Even when you're favored and you spend a bunch of capital on your roster....SBs are HARD.

Get a respected roster, get your team to compete, get them to do it in a way to engender respect from the rest of the league, have a locker room of players who generally perform week in and week out,  and have competent game plans/play calling...that's all I ask for. And if that's losing in the WC or not even making the WC...I can't call that a bust. Mostly because if you DO do those things, you'll be in the playoffs, competing straight up against a bunch of other really well run teams

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

IF the Bills lost a good game to the Chiefs then I think this season is a success. The bust part is hard for me to get my head around. 

No, it would be an epic failure.  (Also, if we had just taken care of business in the regular season, the Chiefs would've had to play at Buffalo).  The good news is even if it turns out to be an epic failure, we should have plenty of chances in future seasons to make up for the failure.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, harryS said:

No, it would be an epic failure.  (Also, if we had just taken care of business in the regular season, the Chiefs would've had to play at Buffalo).  The good news is even if it turns out to be an epic failure, we should have plenty of chances in future seasons to make up for the failure.

Guess that's THE debate among fandom right? Some will judge on the results, others the Journey. (obviously there's gradations here).  

I've always been about the Journey. As a PSU/Bills/Mets/Knicks/Syracuse/USMNT fan that's probably a survival instinct though. If I had to be about the results than I would have comitted hari kari long before Josh Allen was being called slow in High School

• Like (+1) 1

I think I have watched 43 NFL playoffs in my time and for a SB winner its always about timing. Some teams were just so dominant all of their season that they never lost their mojo all year but for others like the 1980 Oakland Raiders, The 1990 Giants (who beat us), the 2000 Ravens (with the horrendous Trent Dilfer ) and the 2001 Pats, it was all about getting hot at the right time. If we beat the Chiefs, I think we are a good bet to win it all.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The number of active quarterbacks with Big Ben retiring with more than one Super Bowl victory: Tom Brady (7 just nuts), Josh Rosen (typo that was just assumed based on the 2018 hype)

The number of active quarterbacks with exactly one Super Bowl victory: Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson, Pat Mahomes, Nick Foles, Aaron Rodgers.

It is hard to to win one and for all the accolades that Russ and Aaron received they still only have one each.

At present I see our odds as

• 50% vs the Chiefs .. I think we are a bit better but they are at home
  • 60% vs Titans (if Bengals win I think it pops to 75%)
  • 60% against NFC representative (assuming Bucs or Packers)

So I think these slightly rose-colored glasses view .. we have around 30% chance of making it to the Super Bowl and 18% chance to win it. This team has continued to grow and we do not have any critical free agents so even if we do not win the Super Bowl this year .. we are definitely set to be in play for it for a while to come.  If we have that percentage chance for many years to come .. sooner or later our number will come up.

Those are your percentages, they could be lower they could be higher, all that matters is how we match up and how we play and with the way we are playing right we are the best team in the league. Sunday will tell us or not.

To quote the late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner who once said "The two most important things in life are breathing and winning and not necessarily in that order". I want a Super Bowl championship dammit. Anything less will be disappointing at least to me.

There is a difference between being happy with a season's ultimate outcome and attempting to win the SuperBowl. Only one playoff team ends season with a win. Its silly to say a season with a division title and a playoff win is not a success.

However the offseason and in-season approach should have been win at all costs this year and next.  Same approach LA is taking. Allen's contract along with others will soon make it difficult to compete. Look at what has happened to Seattle. The secondary got expensive and old real quick. The most expensive player on Bills D will be coming off an ACL tear. Edmunds and Oliver are going to want to be paid top dollar too. Beane will need to hit on multiple draft picks or find bargain basement free agents. He did exceptionally well with Brown this year, Rousseau looks solid, and Basham is finally playing.  

Beane will have some room to maneuver with some high priced vets coming off the payroll.  If the Bills don't win it all, then I would like to see Beane target 1-2 key free agents, bring back Wallace, trade out of the first round and get an extra day 2 pick, hopefully see Frazier sign with another team netting them two 3rd rounders, and then start packaging the low round picks for higher picks. 6th and 7th round guys aren't making this roster anytime soon and any street UDFA would be just as good. Trade those picks away to move up in the middle rounds to get the specific guys you need to plug the holes and stock the cupboard for next year or two.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.