Freezing Out Allen

hondo in seattle

11 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Allen has a 3-2 record in games that are 30 degrees or less.

Also only completing 50% of his passes in those contests.

He  is probably going to need to play like he did in NE (or very close to it) for the Bills to win this game.

Oh you realize he’s playing a qb from Alabama that probably hasn’t seen zero weather in his life much less played a football game in it? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t mean to be all philosophical. But I believe that if one unpeels all the layers of any thread on here, at the very center is just one simple common point:

build a dome.

Daniel-san

build dome  yes ok

Build dome no Ok. 
build dome think so, sooner or later squish just like grape. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Jones grew up in Jacksonville and college in Alabama. I wonder how zero degrees is gonna rock his world.

I've been to Univ Wyoming in Laramie. That place gets bitter cold and windy in the winter. 

I attended the University of Wyoming -- I got my master's degree there.  It actually felt colder there on some occasions than it almost ever feels here, in Fairbanks friggin Alaska.  The difference is that Laramie is almost always windy.  In Fairbanks, when it's really cold it's always very still.  I don't know what the coldest game the Wyoming Cowboys ever had, but if it was as cold as I experienced, I think the game should have been cancelled.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Utah John said:

I attended the University of Wyoming -- I got my master's degree there.  It actually felt colder there on some occasions than it almost ever feels here, in Fairbanks friggin Alaska.  The difference is that Laramie is almost always windy.  In Fairbanks, when it's really cold it's always very still.  I don't know what the coldest game the Wyoming Cowboys ever had, but if it was as cold as I experienced, I think the game should have been cancelled.  

Wife and I were driving back from Buffalo to Park City and stopped in Laramie. One of my shoes had fallen out at a rest stop and I needed a new pair. It was really windy and the whole town is really exposed. Got a cheap pair of shoes at an old department store and stocked up on snacks at the little health food store. Seems like a good place to get some studying done, definitely wouldn't live there for any other reason.☺

That was in early Sept 2016. 

Josh was there at the time starting his sophomore season.

7 hours ago, Utah John said:

Josh says that the coldest game he ever played was 6 degrees F at kickoff, and also that "once it gets below 4 degrees you don't really feel the difference"

7 minutes in.

This is also the podcast where he originally talked about his cold feet.  He says he doesn't get cold, his hands don't get cold, but he has poor circulation and his feet get cold.  Right after the coldest game part at about 7:30

19 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

One of the most obnoxious trolls on this board. Ignore him, he's just here to spew his negative juju.

I'll be quite honest. You're a Titans' troll whose act is not convincing anyone.

I think this article lays out my case on JA.  I thought it was quite good.  We'll see how it works out this January.  https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2022/1/13/22881785/nfl-offenses-scheme-wars-kyle-shanahan-kliff-kingsbury-bruce-arians-andy-reid

I think anyone who does not follow the confirmation bias of the board is ostracized.  I think the recent data is pretty clear that the narrative needs to adjust a bit.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2022 at 9:36 AM, hondo in seattle said:

This gives Pats fans hope...  

image.thumb.png.25b0d2ed3fb63c6d186cf585f8661057.png

The funny thing about these narratives is that some believe elements, in this case bad weather, shouldn't have any impact on Josh?  That's ridiculous.  Bad weather impacts everyone. To think Josh is an exception is crazy.

The real story is how well do the coaches adjust the schemes, both offensive and defensive, to adjust to the elements? If the Bills game plan for cold wet weather is the same game plan for warm dry weather, of course the results will be different.

Additionally, the goal isn't to keep Josh's, or anyone else's, stats high.  The goal is to win. Those adjustments impact an individual's stats.

Edited by Pokebball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I do not think there is any doubt that JA is better in the cold wind than Jones.  I think the real issue is who has the better run game and OL.  I think that is the Pats.  I think Allen is the best RB the Bills have.  I also have very low faith in the Bills OL.  

I do think the Bills D is going to make Jones a liability in the pass game.  The crux of this game is how the Bills run D matches up to the Pats OL and RB.  The Bills are not a top run D.  They are 13th.  This tells me BB is going to exploit it and not let Jones beat the Pats.  

For the Bills to win, JA has to be really good.  TO will kill him.  In this weather TO is what we need to worry about.  Styles make fights and in my opinion the Pats are a tougher out for the Bills than other teams would be.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Smith said:

I do not think there is any doubt that JA is better in the cold wind than Jones.  I think the real issue is who has the better run game and OL.  I think that is the Pats.  I think Allen is the best RB the Bills have.  I also have very low faith in the Bills OL.  

I do think the Bills D is going to make Jones a liability in the pass game.  The crux of this game is how the Bills run D matches up to the Pats OL and RB.  The Bills are not a top run D.  They are 13th.  This tells me BB is going to exploit it and not let Jones beat the Pats.  

For the Bills to win, JA has to be really good.  TO will kill him.  In this weather TO is what we need to worry about.  Styles make fights and in my opinion the Pats are a tougher out for the Bills than other teams would be.  

The notion that it is going to take exceptional play from Allen for the Bills to win is partly almost tautological since he is the best player on the team at the most important position, as well as a dual threat. But the presupposition of your slant on all this is based on an implicit assumption. Overall, I think you are consistently underrating the talent level of the Bills. They are better than NE and better than Tenn. KC is a toss up. A few bad plays over the course of the season skews their record below their ability. Buffalo lost every one score game and some of them clearly could have gone and probably should have gone the other way. As for the article, it's pretty old hat to surmise a more traditional offense that is run heavy has an advantage in playoff games affected by the elements. Normally, the better qbs win playoff games. No one is taking Mac Jones or Tannehill over Allen. Allen doesn't care about the stats. He will do what it takes to win and he has the ability to carry a team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.