My case for Trubisky to the Colts

Alphadawg7

Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Chances you think Colts sign Trubisky to start or compete to start?

• For sure
    • Good Chance
    • Possibly, but not likely
    • None

50 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My fiance loves the 49ers...so I have seen a lot of Niners games, was even at the game Sunday when they beat the Rams.  Jimmy G, regardless of statistics, is not very good to me.  He makes a lot of terrible throws and decisions.  He is flat out soft too.  Most Niner fans, including her, can't wait for the Jimmy G era to end, although they still feel he gives the team the better chance to win today as Lance is not ready.  

He lacks mobility, his arm isn't very strong, and he can be delusional with an utter lack of accountability when he doesn't play well.  He also just seems to lack that drive to be great and isn't known to be a student of the game type guy.

Yet ... 33-14 with a lifetime 8.4 ypa. And this is a team that loses a lot more than it wins when he doesn't play.  I mean, he led the league this year in net yards per pass attempt and in yards per completion. 

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Wentz is the perfect of example of why you should never jump the gun to sign a young QB until they prove they are for real and deliver consistent results over multiple seasons.

He was great his first few years, particularly the season the Eagles won the SB and he was the clear cut league MVP favorite that year before being his season ending injury towards the end of the regular season.

Not saying this because I'm still very critical of Allen's deal and his own long term viability, but Wentz is a true cautionary tale among many other similar cases.

The eagles offense got even better with him injured though which definitely should’ve raised some red flags lol I wonder if they win that superbowl if he started in the playoffs.  
equally puzzling was Blake Bortles absolutely balling out in the afc championship and being a tipped pass by Gilmore away from getting his team to the superbowl 

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Makes sense in certain ways if the Colts decide to give Wentz one more year.  You then aren't going to bring in a guy like Wilson, or Rodgers, but you want someone who some ability as the backup in case Wentz falters.  You don't want his backup to be a Matt Barkley type.  Based on what happened in Philly you also may not want to draft someone in the 1st round either as that  is rumored to be some of the issues with Wentz in Philly.  Plus Indy is drafting late enough and not a real strong QB class anyway.  If they decide to move on from Wentz, then think they may look for someone better than Trubisky.

I'm not so sure about the Trubisky and Daboll together rumors either.  Think is Daboll gets a HC job, wouldn't want to tie my fate to Trubisky.

Colts used that first round pick to trade for Wentz, so they dont have the ability to draft one.  

And yeah, that is part of the problem with Wentz, he seems mentally weak.  He doesn't seem to do well mentally with competition, which for me is all the more reason to bring someone in to compete with him.  Because if he cant handle that pressure, he sure is heck not going to handle the pressure of a big game like the dud he laid against the lowly Jags with the playoffs on the line where he had a total QBR of 4.4

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Yet ... 33-14 with a lifetime 8.4 ypa. And this is a team that loses a lot more than it wins when he doesn't play.

He may be the victim of a few high-pressure mistakes like the overthrow in the Super Bowl.  Seems not to rise to the moment but his overall stats aren’t bad.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Colts used that first round pick to trade for Wentz, so they dont have the ability to draft one.  

And yeah, that is part of the problem with Wentz, he seems mentally weak.  He doesn't seem to do well mentally with competition, which for me is all the more reason to bring someone in to compete with him.  Because if he cant handle that pressure, he sure is heck not going to handle the pressure of a big game like the dud he laid against the lowly Jags with the playoffs on the line where he had a total QBR of 4.4

Was looking at the draft order, excluding the Jags and Jets, the others all have various levels of need for a QB, but not exactly a stellar class.  If I'm the Lions I may try and trade that pick to a team that hopefully won't be too good next year so they'd have 2 first rounders in 2023 which is supposed to be a better stronger class.  Also gives Goff one more year to prove he could be the answer

23 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My fiance loves the 49ers...so I have seen a lot of Niners games, was even at the game Sunday when they beat the Rams.  Jimmy G, regardless of statistics, is not very good to me.  He makes a lot of terrible throws and decisions.  He is flat out soft too.  Most Niner fans, including her, can't wait for the Jimmy G era to end, although they still feel he gives the team the better chance to win today as Lance is not ready.  

He lacks mobility, his arm isn't very strong, and he can be delusional with an utter lack of accountability when he doesn't play well.  He also just seems to lack that drive to be great and isn't known to be a student of the game type guy.

I would want that era to end as well if I was a 9ers fan. He is a lower end starting QB. But he is a clear step up on Wentz (and Mitch for that matter). And the point is Indy's options next year are really limited. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yet ... 33-14 with a lifetime 8.4 ypa. And this is a team that loses a lot more than it wins when he doesn't play.

Well to be fair most teams lose more when their starter is out.  And its not really fair to give Jimmy G all the win/loss credit on a team that wins around defense and the run game.  

Jimmy G has also only twice played in double digit games in his career too, never thrown for 4000 yards, and never surpassed 27 TDs.  This year he had 3800 yards and just 20 TDs with 12 INTs.  So he isn't out there lighting up the stat sheets and the Niners struggle when they need to rely on him when the run game isn't going.  So the YPA as a stand alone stat is good, but its not like that tells the whole story.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would want that era to end as well if I was a 9ers fan. He is a lower end starting QB. But he is a clear step up on Wentz (and Mitch for that matter). And the point is Indy's options next year are really limited. 

Yup.  None of the franchise guys are options for various reasons and there are no franchise guys in the draft (not that they'd have a shot at him/them anyways).  It's likely stick with Wentz.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well to be fair most teams lose more when their starter is out.  And its not really fair to give Jimmy G all the win/loss credit on a team that wins around defense and the run game.  

Jimmy G has also only twice played in double digit games in his career too, never thrown for 4000 yards, and never surpassed 27 TDs.  This year he had 3800 yards and just 20 TDs with 12 INTs.  So he isn't out there lighting up the stat sheets and the Niners struggle when they need to rely on him when the run game isn't going.  So the YPA as a stand alone stat is good, but its not like that tells the whole story.  

Enh ... they score so many rushing touchdowns and run for so many yards that the raw passing numbers don't matter so much to me. I focus on efficiency, and on that front he's been very good. And with regard to when he's not starting, they're not just bad, they're REALLY bad: 7-27 in the games he didn't start during the seasons he's been there.

Edited by dave mcbride

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, Jimmy G is prob better than Wentz.  But I think you suggested Colts sending a 2nd round pick In trade to get Jimmy G, which is where I would just never do that.   I mean you can bring in Mitch to challenge and/or push Wentz without giving up a valuable draft pick nor handing out a big contract. 

I reccognize Trubisky is no lock to go somewhere and shine, but he at least comes with some unknown and potential upside given he wasn't given a lot of help in Chicago in terms of personnel around him or coaching.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree, Jimmy G is prob better than Wentz.  But I think you suggested Colts sending a 2nd round pick In trade to get Jimmy G, which is where I would just never do that.   I mean you can bring in Mitch to challenge and/or push Wentz without giving up a valuable draft pick nor handing out a big contract. 

I reccognize Trubisky is no lock to go somewhere and shine, but he at least comes with some unknown and potential upside given he wasn't given a lot of help in Chicago in terms of personnel around him or coaching.  

Desperate teams do desperate things. If Reich and Ballard miss the playoffs again next year their seats are very, very warm.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Wentz is the perfect of example of why you should never jump the gun to sign a young QB until they prove they are for real and deliver consistent results over multiple seasons.

He was great his first few years, particularly the season the Eagles won the SB and he was the clear cut league MVP favorite that year before being his season ending injury towards the end of the regular season.

Not saying this because I'm still very critical of Allen's deal and his own long term viability, but Wentz is a true cautionary tale among many other similar cases.

Allen has a much larger body of work than Wentz did.

And if you are still doubting Allen after all he has done, there's no helping you. You must feel very lonely because everyone else knows he is elite.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Enh ... they score so many rushing touchdowns and run for so many yards that the raw passing numbers don't matter so much to me. I focus on efficiency, and on that front he's been very good. And with regard to when he's not starting, they're not just bad, they're REALLY bad: 7-27 in the games he didn't start during the seasons he's been there.

I get that, and honestly you are making fair points. 

My counter though would be that its not as cut and dry as it seems on the surface.  Niners have had some absolutely horrific injury luck the last couple years, especially with a lot of their best players being hurt during those times too when Jimmy G was out.  So not only were the backup QBs mostly atrocious, they were coincidentally without a lot of their best players at the same time Jimmy was out which played a big role in that win loss record when he was out.  

The bigger take away...he has only been with the 49ers 4 full seasons plus 6 weeks.  Yet he has missed 33 full games and parts of 4 other games out of a possible 71 games.  That means he has missed all or part of 52% of the games he has been a starter for since going to SF.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get that, and honestly you are making fair points. 

My counter though would be that its not as cut and dry as it seems on the surface.  Niners have had some absolutely horrific injury luck the last couple years, especially with a lot of their best players being hurt during those times too when Jimmy G was out.  So not only were the backup QBs mostly atrocious, they were coincidentally without a lot of their best players at the same time Jimmy was out which played a big role in that win loss record when he was out.  

The bigger take away...he has only been with the 49ers 4 full seasons plus 6 weeks.  Yet he has missed 33 full games and parts of 4 other games out of a possible 71 games.  That means he has missed all or part of 52% of the games he has been a starter for since going to SF.  

Totally agree about the injuries. It's obviously an issue. My point is that when he's out there, he tends to play well and the team tends to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

Allen has a much larger body of work than Wentz did.

And if you are still doubting Allen after all he has done, there's no helping you. You must feel very lonely because everyone else knows he is elite.

Both points not true, and if Allen throws up all over himself for a 3rd straight (home) game and Bills go one and done in the playoffs I think you are going to be surprised how many fans turn on him. Certainly the national and local media has not been afraid to call him out despite the Bills winning the last few weeks.

And for the record, personally I've never said Allen isn't a franchise QB. He's obviously the best we've had since Jim Kelly but there are still too many unknown variables to know who JA17 really is and/or if 2020 was the peak of his career.

A lot of questions are going to be answered starting Saturday night that's for sure.

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.