My case for Trubisky to the Colts

Alphadawg7

Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Chances you think Colts sign Trubisky to start or compete to start?

• For sure
    • Good Chance
    • Possibly, but not likely
    • None

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think it's more likely that Daboll goes to Chicago to develop Fields and help him reach his potential.

Fields is terrible.  He lacks all the attributes that Josh Allen has, that Daboll used to make Allen effective.  The only thing Fields does more or less as well as Josh, is run.  Daboll won't want to pin his HC opportunity on that hot mess.

33 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Other than Trubisky's rookie season, I think this has to be the most enjoyable time he has spent in the NFL. And on top of that he got paid 2.5 million dollars. I think there is a very good chance Trubisky tells his agent he likes the Bills and wants to re-up for next season.

I think that if no good opportunity to start somewhere materializes, MT would be happy/smart to stay in Buffalo for another year.  But he really wants to be a starter somewhere and get himself one of those monster QB contracts.  2.5 million is very nice of course but 25 million per year is more of what he's thinking.  And his clock is ticking, so he might jump at any chance to start.  It could be a tough call.

27 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If Daboll lands in Miami it's probably a no brainer that Trubisky ends up there to push Tua for the starting job and/or be waiting in the wings should Tua get hurt or have a short leash in 2022.

Tua's biggest problem is that he isn't the guy who was drafted right after him, Justin Herbert.

MT's biggest problem in Chicago was that they traded up for him and bypassed Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes.

Both have to deal with buyer's remorse on the part of their teams and fans.  

Both Tua and MT have the potential to be solid, effective, professional game manager type QBs.  That's not what most teams want, but it's a lot more than a lot of teams have.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Don't count out Ryan Fitzpatrick getting a call.  He's still the WFT's property and could play there, but Washington will likely move to a rookie next year.  If he doesn't play in DC, he'll be mildly attractive to a lot of teams desperate for solid play.

I dont know, he didn't look good in DC this year in his brief time before getting hurt.  With his age and stuff, I am not sure the market is going to be much for Fitz this year.  

Love the thought process - I just don’t see it.

Wentz is costing them a 1st based upon what played this year - I don’t see them eating contract on top of the pick.

I think Frank would look to move on, but his (and Carson’s) faith and admiration for each other as a person - will lock the 2 together for another year.

It is the same issue with lesser given up in Carolina.  They gave up a pick and then the fifth year option for Darnold.  It is a double whammy when they move on, but for them the cost was so much less they can justify it.

The Colts it is hard to justify paying (+/or trading for) another QB when you still have to pay and gave up a 1st for the guy you have.

Bad job on the front in trading for him and not letting the Eagles move on and you getting him at a more reasonable price and compensation.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Denver seems to be the best spot for Daboll. Draft or trade for a QB, decent cap room but a lot of difficult decisions. 

As if it's that easy.  The curse of Elway continues.  He can't find a good QB to come in and lead the team.  He did bring in a broken-down Peyton Manning who was able to succeed but only with Denver's powerful defense.  Before then and since then it's been a string of failures.  

32 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Love the thought process - I just don’t see it.

Wentz is costing them a 1st based upon what played this year - I don’t see them eating contract on top of the pick.

I think Frank would look to move on, but his (and Carson’s) faith and admiration for each other as a person - will lock the 2 together for another year.

It is the same issue with lesser given up in Carolina.  They gave up a pick and then the fifth year option for Darnold.  It is a double whammy when they move on, but for them the cost was so much less they can justify it.

The Colts it is hard to justify paying (+/or trading for) another QB when you still have to pay and gave up a 1st for the guy you have.

Bad job on the front in trading for him and not letting the Eagles move on and you getting him at a more reasonable price and compensation.

I get what you are saying, and honestly, that first round pick they spent is why I asked if Wentz would be the starter instead of would Wentz be on the team.  

But, at the same time, the first round pick is gone...to just default Wentz as the starter over it, regardless if its not working out, would be unnecessarily foolish with a roster as good as theirs.  

So for me, what they paid to get Wentz makes someone like Trubisky is an ideal candidate for them because he can won't cost a lot to bring in to at least challenge Wentz for the job (and I think MT would win that battle personally).  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me be clear from the start, I have no evidence of any Trubisky interest by the Colts, this is just something I am personally speculating on as I think it makes a lot of sense personally for both the Colts and Trubisky.  Admittedly, I hope it does NOT happen, as I don't want to see the Colts get better lmao.  

Why it makes sense to me:  Trubisky isn't going to draw a lot of interest from rebuilding teams IMO unless its on a cheap deal to hold a seat warm for a rookie because those teams are likely turning to the draft for a QB.  There is also still Watson and of course possibly Rodgers that could be available too, not to mention the speculation that Wilson could be someone to keep an eye on.  With the Colts run game, they don't need to try and pursue cap choking big ticket QB's like those guys.  

Someone like Trubisky, who was able to get the Bears into the playoffs twice despite little offensive talent around him, a bad OL, and a terrible Coach and front office could come into Indy and help right the ship immediately.  And, it wouldn't likely need to be a big financial or cap risk either as the market for Trubisky isn't going to be expensive giving them flexibility to go in another direction quickly if its not working out.  

The case against Carson Wentz is pretty clear

Eagles:  

1.  Gets hurt, Eagles go on a run with Foles and win the SB.
2.  Eagles last year with Wentz…no playoffs.  This year without him…in the playoffs.

Colts:  

1.  Made playoffs without him last year.  
2. This year with him (and an 1800 rusher and MVP candidate in Taylor)…miss playoffs. 

And in a must win game to make the playoffs, his QBR was a pitiful (and Nathan Peterman like) 4.4 lmao...yes 4.4 out of 100.  Reich also apparently declined to commit to Wentz a day after the loss too.  Which is telling given they had history before this season that led to him wanting Wentz there in the first place. 

So what do you guys think...created poll asking if you thought Wentz would be the starter next year or not, and what you think the chances Trubisky ends up there to either start or at least compete with Wentz to start.  

I don’t think a brand new FO and HC are looking at players like Trubisky as their long term options.  On a short, reasonable deal while they draft their future, sure.  They would realize that there is a possibility of getting lucky with such a reclamation project, but they wouldn’t bank on it. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Welp, guess that seals this threads fate to be no more than 1 to 3 pages max hahaha.  Threads are only active and long around here when they are full of nonsense and are off the rails.  Hahaha

Don't sell yourself short.  Debating that Trubisky is clearly a better option than Wentz could easily go 20 pages.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 947 said:

There's no guarantee that Trubisky would be any better than Wentz. The Bears did make the playoffs with Mitch, but not BECAUSE of him.

What Wentz did in 2017 blows away anything Trubisky has ever done, he would've been MVP if not for the injury. I know Wentz is not the same player anymore, but it least he once was that player. In Chicago, Trubisky was not a complete QB. He had issues reading coverages, and Nagy was using half-field reads at times to make it easier. I think Mitch will be better after his time with Daboll & Josh, but I can't see him going anywhere next year & being a top-15 QB. I think he's great as a backup, but I doubt any coach/GM is going to tie their job security solely to him.

Trubisky's 2018 season was good: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrubMi00.htm. Make sure to look at the rushing stats too - 421 yards and 3 rushing TDs. 

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Don't sell yourself short.  Debating that Trubisky is clearly a better option than Wentz could easily go 20 pages.  

Agreed. See immediately above. I'm on it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Not happening.  Frank Reich and Wentz are Jesus Brothers.

Frank will ride him until he can't ride him any further.

^^This right here.^^  Them Jesus peeps stick together thru hell and highwater.....

I think Wentz will be the starter. He shouldn't be. He is terrible. But Frank Reich loves him and isn't moving off him for another placeholder type like Trubisky and they don't have a 1st round pick to draft a guy or trade for one.

The Wentz fascination could get Frank fired IMO.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Wentz will be the starter. He shouldn't be. He is terrible. But Frank Reich loves him and isn't moving off him for another placeholder type like Trubisky and they don't have a 1st round pick to draft a guy or trade for one.

What in the world happened to him?  He was a leading MVP candidate in 2017 before getting hurt and has just fallen off a cliff since.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's just - if you're Reich, you're asking yourself ok, what else do I have to do next season to make Wentz more successful?  They've got the best running back in the NFL.  They have good enough receivers (probably could use 1-2 more real playmakers there).  They've got a great o-line.  Wentz was mostly healthy this year (other than his idiotic refusal to get vaxxed and the inevitable missed time as a result).  What conditions could make him more successful?  They don't have a first round pick, although they do have cap room.  How do they get over the hump with that guy at QB?  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You were definitely right about Wentz. I thought he was moderately above average for most of the season, but these last two weeks ... ai yi yi. He was flat-out horrible vs. Jax.  I watched that game from start to finish, more or less, out of morbid fascination.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It's just - if you're Reich, you're asking yourself ok, what else do I have to do next season to make Wentz more successful?  They've got the best running back in the NFL.  They have good enough receivers (probably could use 1-2 more real playmakers there).  They've got a great o-line.  Wentz was mostly healthy this year (other than his idiotic refusal to get vaxxed and the inevitable missed time as a result).  What conditions could make him more successful?  They don't have a first round pick, although they do have cap room.  How do they get over the hump with that guy at QB?  

he didn't actually miss any time. He started all 17 games.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

You were definitely right about Wentz. I thought he was moderately above average for most of the season, but these last two weeks ... ai yi yi. He was flat-out horrible vs. Jax.  

he didn't actually miss any time. He started all 17 games.

He missed practice time leading up to the Raiders game right?  That was an excuse bandied about for that (or one of the other) loss.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

You were definitely right about Wentz. I thought he was moderately above average for most of the season, but these last two weeks ... ai yi yi. He was flat-out horrible vs. Jax.  

The Colts did a great job of hiding him. Reich is an excellent coach they have a couple of studs up front and Jonathan Taylor man I love that kid. I know the value of running backs is diminished so I am not talking value but pure pound for pound football playing ability.... Taylor is one of the most talented guys in the entire freaking league. 

But you can't hide Quarterbacks forever. And Carson Wentz is a wreck. 

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yea a couple more weapons to work alongside Pittman and Taylor, sure. But there isn't much else. I just don't know what the alternative is for them with no 1st round pick. They gave a first for what Wentz is giving them.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Colts did a great job of hiding him. Reich is an excellent coach they have a couple of studs up front and Jonathan Taylor man I love that kid. I know the value of running backs is diminished so I am not talking value but pure pound for pound football playing ability.... Taylor is one of the most talented guys in the entire freaking league. 

But you can't hide Quarterbacks forever. And Carson Wentz is a wreck. 

They got a historic season out of Taylor and couldn't even get baseline competence out of the QB.  How do they improve on it other than hoping Wentz miraculously gets better?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.