My case for Trubisky to the Colts

Alphadawg7

Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Chances you think Colts sign Trubisky to start or compete to start?

• For sure
    • Good Chance
    • Possibly, but not likely
    • None

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The Daboll/Trubisky pairing thing here is so strange to me. Trubisky is not a good QB. Maybe a half-decent backup, we don’t really know, but why would anyone want to go with him as a starter as a new head coach of a team?

Statistically I would say that Trubisky wasn't as bad as some make him out to be while in Chicago.  And the Bears, having made the playoffs twice with him, were certainly a lot worse without him.  Keep in mind, his OL was terrible there and he had little to work with in terms of weapons around him.  Add in how bad the coaching was, and even Trubisky has spoken out about just how little effort was put into developing him there compared to the kind of coaching he was already getting in Buffalo just as a backup.  

He is no lock to go to a better situation and be even better obviously, but there are legit reasons to see him as a guy that could really benefit from a change of scenery (from his former starting gig in Chicago).  And honestly his career in Chicago was better than what Wentz was in Indy this year, again on a lesser team with inept coaching staff.  

• Like (+1) 1

Other than Trubisky's rookie season, I think this has to be the most enjoyable time he has spent in the NFL. And on top of that he got paid 2.5 million dollars. I think there is a very good chance Trubisky tells his agent he likes the Bills and wants to re-up for next season.

• Like (+1) 2

Sounds like none of the college QB’s in the 1st round discussion are can’t miss types.  My bet is Trubisky gets a 1 year deal from a team who drafts a 1st round QB.  Maybe a Pittsburgh, Denver, Washington, Minnesota (if Cousins is gone).  Not sure he’s much of an upgrade from Wentz and I doubt Indy is moving on from Wentz (after trading a 1st rounder) unless it’s obvious upgrade.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Statistically I would say that Trubisky wasn't as bad as some make him out to be while in Chicago.  And the Bears, having made the playoffs twice with him, were certainly a lot worse without him.  Keep in mind, his OL was terrible there and he had little to work with in terms of weapons around him.  Add in how bad the coaching was, and even Trubisky has spoken out about just how little effort was put into developing him there compared to the kind of coaching he was already getting in Buffalo just as a backup.  

He is no lock to go to a better situation and be even better obviously, but there are legit reasons to see him as a guy that could really benefit from a change of scenery (from his former starting gig in Chicago).  And honestly his career in Chicago was better than what Wentz was in Indy this year, again on a lesser team with inept coaching staff.  

Agree, I never did either. I'm not sure how long Wentz was signed for and no clue where Mitch will go..but I do think he will be the starting QB wherever he goes, unless of course he stays (which I doubt).

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sounds like none of the college QB’s in the 1st round discussion are can’t miss types.  My bet is Trubisky gets a 1 year deal from a team who drafts a 1st round QB.  Maybe a Pittsburgh, Denver, Washington, Minnesota (if Cousins is gone).  Not sure he’s much of an upgrade from Wentz and I doubt Indy is moving on from Wentz (after trading a 1st rounder) unless it’s obvious upgrade.  

All of those scenarios are certainly possible for Mitch, so yeah I can see any of that happening too.  And honestly, what Colts spent on Wentz adds more reasons to why someone like Trubisky makes a lot of sense to come in and either start or compete to start with Wentz, because it would not cost a lot to do so and be of very little risk.  

I would think the only thing Indy cares about is winning at this point.  The first rounder is already gone, nothing they can do about it.  At this point, all that matters is that they get better, not just trying to force something (if its not working) because of what they previously spent to try it.  

Wentz has a $15M cap hit in 2022 and then no cap hit the remaining three years. I think Colts hold onto Wentz for another year, as I don't know which QBs would be that much better.  Trubisky *maybe* but certainly too many questions. There aren't many good options and a lot of competition for talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If Daboll lands in Miami it's probably a no brainer that Trubisky ends up there to push Tua for the starting job and/or be waiting in the wings should Tua get hurt or have a short leash in 2022.

I think the only way Mitch follows Daboll to Miami is if he has no other opportunities to start.  And honestly, I think Mitch is going to get interest from several teams this offseason, so I don't think its likely he goes to Miami regardless if Daboll does or not.  

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

Wentz has a $15M cap hit in 2022 and then no cap hit the remaining three years. I think Colts hold onto Wentz for another year, as I don't know which QBs would be that much better.  Trubisky *maybe* but certainly too many questions. There aren't many good options and a lot of competition for talent. 

Yeah, if Colts sign MT, I think it will be more likely to compete with Wentz to start next year more so than just getting rid of Wentz all together.  

29 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The Daboll/Trubisky pairing thing here is so strange to me. Trubisky is not a good QB. Maybe a half-decent backup, we don’t really know, but why would anyone want to go with him as a starter as a new head coach of a team?

Why?  Desperation. 

Does the name Kyle Orton ring a bell?

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think the only way Mitch follows Daboll to Miami is if he has no other opportunities to start.  And honestly, I think Mitch is going to get interest from several teams this offseason, so I don't think its likely he goes to Miami regardless if Daboll does or not.  

He should get a chance to start again if anything because of two playoff appearances with a Bears team that was worse this year without him when everyone though QB was the main issue there.

But you just never know in this league and there are a ton of other QB's in a similar situation looking for a chance to start again next year.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not happening.  Frank Reich and Wentz are Jesus Brothers.

Frank will ride him until he can't ride him any further.

That connection and $4 will get you a cup of coffee in the NFL. 

It's a hard business, focused on the bottom line.  Would Reich like to succeed with Wentz?  Sure, but what Reich really wants is to succeed.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

If Daboll lands in Miami it's probably a no brainer that Trubisky ends up there to push Tua for the starting job and/or be waiting in the wings should Tua get hurt or have a short leash in 2022.

He may not go anywhere that doesn't have a QB in place. With his scheme he has to have a established QB, and not just a game manager type QB. So depending how things are with teams QB situation wanting to interview him may play a big part. If he doesn't like what he sees,  it wouldn't surprise me if he stayed with Bills another year (which would make some happy and some unhappy)

Some think Mitch may go with him and that could happen, but may not work out that way and Mitch has other plans.

Don't count out Ryan Fitzpatrick getting a call.  He's still the WFT's property and could play there, but Washington will likely move to a rookie next year.  If he doesn't play in DC, he'll be mildly attractive to a lot of teams desperate for solid play.

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

He should get a chance to start again if anything because of two playoff appearances with a Bears team that was worse this year without him when everyone though QB was the main issue there.

But you just never know in this league and there are a ton of other QB's in a similar situation looking for a chance to start again next year.

Both Wentz and Trubisky were terrible in their last year at their previous team.  Wentz got a lot less bad (not really better, to be clear) at Indy, and MT's past performance in Chicago will have other coaches thinking they could coach that guy up since in their own minds they're such great coaches.  

There's no guarantee that Trubisky would be any better than Wentz. The Bears did make the playoffs with Mitch, but not BECAUSE of him.

What Wentz did in 2017 blows away anything Trubisky has ever done, he would've been MVP if not for the injury. I know Wentz is not the same player anymore, but it least he once was that player. In Chicago, Trubisky was not a complete QB. He had issues reading coverages, and Nagy was using half-field reads at times to make it easier. I think Mitch will be better after his time with Daboll & Josh, but I can't see him going anywhere next year & being a top-15 QB. I think he's great as a backup, but I doubt any coach/GM is going to tie their job security solely to him.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.