50 wins for McD

3 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

St Doug will be back in like 20 years for his 7th or 8th miracle.

Just saw some headline the past couple days involving him, but couldn't be bothered to click the article...

Is he some college line coach now? What a fall from grace...

There's no denying that McDermott is a good head coach, but the question remains is he a great one?

I think we'll find out the answer in a few short weeks but still would hedge my bets on this team getting to/winning a SB with another head coach at some point this decade.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

There's no denying that McDermott is a good head coach, but the question remains is he a great one?

I think we'll find out the answer in a few short weeks but still would hedge my bets on this team getting to/winning a SB with another head coach at some point this decade.

What will happen in the next few weeks that will make that determination on him being great or not?

I won't hold my breath waiting for your answer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Everyone always said Andy Reid was a good coach who would never get over the hump.  Now that he has, even though it took decades, he's universally regarded as great.  In other words, nothing that happens in McDermott's 4th playoff venture will tell us that he's not a great HC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Beast said:

What will happen in the next few weeks that will make that determination on him being great or not?

Being able to win his first road playoff game for starters because any path to a SB this year will have to be done that way since it's highly unlikely we move any higher in the current seeding and probably looking at just one home playoff game if we do in fact win the division as expected.

It's no secret I've been a critic of McDermott but he definitely showed me something last week in New England when there were multiple opportunities for him to crawl into a shell.

But if this team can beat a tough WC team at home (likely the Pats and Belichik again) and then go to TEN/KC/CIN and win a couple playoff games that would show me he's truly a great coach.

• Eyeroll 2

Looking at McD’s record the past 5 years it is very impressive. Four playoff appearances in Five years, three double digit win seasons in a row, one division title (while being one win away from a second), a pair of playoff victories and the development of a young franchise QB.

I am really trying to think of the last time a organizational turn around of this nature had occurred in the NFL. Maybe the Saints when Sean Payton and Brees came on board? The Saints were pretty hapless from 1993 to 2005. They had just one playoff season and were either bad or consistently under achieving in the Haslet era in the early to mid 2000’s.

I can’t think of another more recent turn around of a team from being bad for a long time to a sustained run of success in the past 10ish years.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

59 minutes ago, Beast said:

Am I the only laughing at an exchange between "FILTHYBEAST" and "BEAST" ????

I understand the point made by Filthybeast; McDermott may well not be the guy to deliver the hardware, but I disagree that we are going to have some sort of definitive answer on that this playoff season.

That question will remain until he wins it all, and it could linger for years to come, as long as we maintain a certain level of winning sufficient to keep him here as the HC.

It will probably take several more years at a minimum for Pegula to move on from him, if he is ever going to.

And he could deliver a championship, too, in which case he'll be here forever.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

For perspective, Mike Tomlin is currently at .640

Andy Reid is .634

Sean Peyton is .628

John Harbaugh .614

Mike McCarthy .609

First five seasons as head coach (Regular season records and years they made the playoffs)

Wins  Losses   %       Playoffs

Harbaugh        55         25    .680     5 of 5 yrs

Tomlin              55         25    .680     4 of 5 yrs

Reid                 51          29    .620     4 of 5 yrs
Payton             49         31    .610      3 of 5 yrs
McCarthy        48         32    .600     3 of 5 yrs
McDermott      48         32    .600     4 of 5 yrs

If Mc Dermott wins next week his 49-32 .604. Pretty much in line with the others

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

First five seasons as head coach (Regular season records and years they made the playoffs)

Wins  Losses   %       Playoffs

Harbaugh        55         25    .680     5 of 5 yrs

Tomlin              55         25    .620     4 of 5 yrs

Reid                 51          29    .620     4 of 5 yrs
Payton             49         31    .610      3 of 5 yrs
McCarthy        48         32    .600     3 of 5 yrs
McDermott      48         32    .600     4 of 5 yrs

If Mc Dermott wins next week his 49-32 .604. Pretty much in line with the others

All of those coaches outside of Reid won their Super Bowl within their first 5 seasons.

If McDermott doesn’t win the Super Bowl this year… we’re doomed!!! DOOMED! 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Being able to win his first road playoff game for starters because any path to a SB this year will have to be done that way since it's highly unlikely we move any higher in the current seeding and probably looking at just one home playoff game if we do in fact win the division as expected.

It's no secret I've been a critic of McDermott but he definitely showed me something last week in New England when there were multiple opportunities for him to crawl into a shell.

But if this team can beat a tough WC team at home (likely the Pats and Belichik again) and then go to TEN/KC/CIN and win a couple playoff games that would show me he's truly a great coach.

So winning playoff games at home doesn't count? You think he needs to win a ROAD playoff game to prove he is a good coach?

Just stupid how the goal posts keep moving. McDermott is a great coach and has built a perennially contending team. He got the team to the AFC Championship game last year. He has a really good win-loss record. He is widely respected around the entire league. He coaches a team with both a good offense and a good defense.

People need to just appreciate what he has done and stop waiting for him to fail. Get over your Bills insecurities and realize what a special era this is for Bills football. Stop trying to undercut the man that brought this all to you. McDermott built all of this. Yes, he had help along the way, but this is his team, his culture, and everything goes through him.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.